Screen freezes on startup game does not

so i dont know why but suddenly the following happens:

i start overwatch, it runs like normal with the login screen.
i get the main menu with the blue triangle background and its normal for a split second.
the screen freezes. but the game keeps running, so i can hear the sounds of the game and the mouse still works so if i press play il hear the sound of the next menu being cued up.

furthermore after the screen freezes and i cant alt-tab out of the game and im stuck.

i have no idea what the reason for this is, i dont think anything changed since the last time i played and so far i’ve checked and my windows is up to date, my drivers are up to date, overwacht is up to date, overwacht was scaned and repaired (no issues found) and reinstalled but it still happens.

does somone know this problem and how to fix it?

2 Likes

Same issue, either this or black screen on startup, only way to get out of the game is to open taskmanager on another screen and kill overwatch, then try again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t

I have the same issue. I can usually hear/interact with the menu the first time. The second time i start it up, it’s comletely frozen. My PC is 10 months old.

Hello everyone,

This is most likely a Nvidia drivers issue, the 516.94 (release notes) should solve this problem. If already up-to-date or not using a Nvidia gpu, please follow the steps of this following article :

This problem has been around for a while now. I just got banned for an hour because of it. Will you revoke the ban? Or do I have to wait for an entire hour? It´s not easy finding time to play when I have kids, wife and a job you know… So stupid!