Smurfing problem

-im plat sr- Why is smurfing even allowed in this game? There are just too many. Literally every game I encounter a smurf stack on the enemy team. I can’t even have a decent comp game anymore, just because some people are bored of their lives so they decide to ruin the game experience for lower ranks who are nowhere as good as them and have the nerve to say gg ez after they win Smurf accounts should be linked to their main accounts so that they could play in their own ranks and any other smurfing attempts on lower ranks should be banned. I dont mind losing. You win, you lose that’s the point of the game. I just want fair games with people who belong to their rank.

3 Likes

Smurfing is allowed in pretty much every game, not just in Overwatch, as long as you don’t sell accounts de-ranked on purpose it’s completely legal.
You don’t encounter a smurf stack every game, that’s literally impossible, sure you can get some every once in a while, but far from ‘every game’.
When I was in plat I barely encountered any smurf, I’ve only seen some around high plat-low diamond because that’s where smurf accounts from masters/gm players get placed (usually).

Yeah. Smurfs are not THAT common.

They crop up from time to time. Most of the time you barely notice them. Sometimes they are of the deranked variety and are more of a pain to deal with.

If you play enough games, and keep improving your play it won’t make a difference.

I am certainly not a good player (gold/plat). But I work on making tiny improvements each time and have had a 54%+ win rate every season since season 18. And on my old account I went from a rock bottom low of finishing season 9 at about 750sr to ending at 3k by season 16.

In short. Stop worrying about smurfs. Worry about what you are doing. If you start blaming everything around you, you will end up as bitter and twisted as some on here that think everything else is to blame for their inability to make progress.

1 Like

@reckless i dont get smurfs once in a while i literally get them every 2-3 games there is way too many
@nightwing First of all I want to congratulate you on your efforts to get to diamond. Well played. Secondly, I do occasionally watch my replays and I do practice my aim every day but even if I do well it won’t be enough. Overwatch is team game, not individual effort and also not everybody is skilled enough to do well against smurfs and i respect that the people in my team are trying their best but in the end it doesn’t give anybody a fair playing field.

I am without. Some times you just get games where your collective skills are not enough.

But those are the ones you can learn most from. I tend to watch from the POV of one enemy and see what they do and pick up tips from them. Usually see where I’ve been a complete spanner and got caught out too many times.

Nightwing you either have a smurf account yourself or you just advocate smurfing because you are on a lot of different posts talking about how its not common… have you checked out OW recently?

This game is becoming a mass of smurf accounts, everytime the game is on offer another batch of smurfs appear.

I’m also in complete agreement with every 2-3 games a group of smurfs appear, and I don’t think it is limited to just comp. I see it in arcade just as much.

This is my only account. Why would I buy more than one account… I am in gold/plat, I suck on this… I don’t need a second one to suck on lol.

There is a difference between alt accounts and smurf accounts. But people forget that.

Sadly though. It doesn’t matter which they are. What can you do about it? Get upset? or just step up/move on.

Yeah you will get games where someone will just hard carry and there isn’t a lot you can do about it. But if you get to the end of the season with a lower than 50% win rate (having played a decent number of games). Then that win rate is not to do with smurfs, you need to look a little closer to home for the reasons.

However, the ones that buy pre-leveled low ranked accounts need to be removed from the game (as do the bronze noobs that buy GM accounts), the ones that derank also. They are the “crimes”. Just simply playing the game isn’t a crime. If you can prove they derank (easy to spot if they have an open profile) or have bought the account then report away and I will be 100% backing you in the calls for that account to be closed.

Other than that what can you do. Remember also it is the end of the season, a lot of weird things happen. If you are playing with the hope that all your games will be good, then you are in for a shock.

HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION…
You get into the game. They have a apparent smurf on DPS and he starts getting loads of work done… What do you do?

Complain and moan about it?
Or
Try to win, and after watch them and try learn something?

If all you care about is SR, you will go no where. If you focus on improving you will slowly climb.

Actually here is a better question.

Remember Activision Blizzard are a share holder controller company. The share holders only care that the game is making money (at a basic level).

So, if “smurfs” are such a problem… How would you solve the “problem” whilst also ensuring that Activision Blizzard can make more money?

(Be better to give credible possible solutions, rather than throwing your toys out and getting worked up about it.)

@nightwing im sure u have good intentions but you are naive my friend you cant do anything about a master sr or gm sr smurf playing on plat cause cause they out play your tanks since its zarya and hog meta they have way too much impact in game play and like i mentioned they are like almost every game and they are toxic and disrespctful as well and also i mentioned in my post for their account to be linked with their main account so if they want to smurf or try new heroes i think its how it should be and remember u have 5 more other players in your team not every one is dedicated to climb some people just want to blow off steam which is reasonable but the thing with these people just ruin the competitive mode for everyone its not about winning or losing cause it happens no matter what its the unfair match making due to these people

Does it matter if you can’t do anything…

It is one match. Watch it back and learn something.

If it was every single game and you finished the season with a 0% winrate. Then fine, maybe uninstall and call Blizzard out…

But it isn’t you will have about a 40-50% win rate if you are having a bad season and not learning. And about a 50-60% win rate if you are improving and climbing.

a few bad games here and there aren’t going to change your season. Just your perception of what’s going on.

If your last game was you getting stomped by a smurf, you will be more likely to claim smurfs are the root cause of all evil or whatever. Recency bias is a b***h.

Sadly, peoples anecdotal evidence just doesn’t stack up with the raw stats and figures, which is why Blizzard are not under any pressure to do anything.

I am in no way condoning smurfing, I’d rather people got banned for it, and people only had one account… but that is an impossibility.

And anyways, a smurf isn’t always going to carry. I watch Samito yesterday doing an unranked to GM challenge, filling on DPS (how he got such a low account I don’t know, and yes, I do think he should be banned for it). But watching him he was clearly better than the other DPS in each game, but because DPS is not as big an impact role as some think (especially in lower ranks), he was 4-4 when I finished watching having lost 3 in a row. This is a 4.5k peak player, playing his main role in Plat.

I think people just need to think about the bigger picture more. Yes, a game where I smurf wrecks your team and you get rolled is damn annoying. You were probably always going to lose but could improved calls made the game closer… could your positioning in certain defences have been better… you can still learn things, improve and move on.

If you think I am naive, then fine, you entitled to think what you like. But I’ve played this game for 3 years across 2 accounts (killed my old one, took 3 months off and decided to buy a new one). I have played thousands of ranked games, will have played against/with more smurfs than I can remember… and guess what, each season I got a little better, and each season I climbed a little more.

Every game i play there is a smurf ruin the game. Sometimes in my team sometimes enemy team. I am so sick of these type of players. This is not balanced this is not equal, all of them are cowards and they don’t want to climb their real rank, just here to ruin your game.

Well, they aren’t going anywhere… so you have 2 options.

1. cry about it.
  2. learn, step up and beat them.

Why? If a match called “2900” it should be 2900vs2900 not 2900+(3500)vs2900. What’s the point if im not gonna play with my same level?

If the match is 2900 that is the average of the team.

And to stack you have to be within 1000sr (unless you are over 3900 then it is 500)

So a 2900sr playing against a 3500sr player, is fine. And fairly common.

Just as much as that same 2900 player getting matching in a game against a player that is 2100 the next game.

That is nothing to do with “smurfing” or any nonsense like that. That is just how the match maker works with stacks of players.

“So a 2900sr playing against a 3500sr player, is fine. And fairly common.”

Have you ever seen a Plat player played with Master or Grandmaster? That’s not the matchmaking works. We play with Diamonds and sometimes Gold+Diamond duos.

Yes. I have.

I was 2890, and duo’ with my friend that was about 3600 at the time.

Every game was people in that spread.

Well that’s very uncommon because we never see that shiny yellow logo in our matches.Only smurfs hiding behind the 100level- accounts(!)

Remember. The longer the que, the wider the SR gap in the team is likely to be.

It does it’s best to place like for like together, but as the ques get longer the match makers relaxes certain things.

Best tip I have for you. Just focus on what you can bring to the match. Not what others are doing.

“Best tip I have for you. Just focus on what you can bring to the match. Not what others are doing.”

Well after 140 games. I will try to do this. Thanks for the advice.

You will still encounter games that feel unwinnable. Games against a cheater. Games with toxic team mates that haven’t got a clue.

Just don’t be the reason you lose, and keep learning, improving and trying to be the reason you win. What more can you do.

1 Like