Sr gain/loss broken as hell

why is it that EVERY GAME I PLAY i lose more SR for a loss than i ever gain for a win? if i win i get like 10 15 SR and if i lose the match i lose 25 30 SR? every single time i been monitoring for the past 5 6 days and its every match! so winning 50 50 mean i keep loosing SR while in reality i should plateau…maybe i don’t understand SR ? can anyone explain this to me?

1 Like

Have you paid attention to the average SR of your team and the opponents’? My theory is that as you reach the upper region of your rank, you get placed in a team that on average has lower SR than you, so you’re expected to carry or lose heavy SR. I’ve found it easier to rank up from low-anything to mid-anything (silver, gold & plat) than from high-anything to the next rank.

Various things could be happening:

• you get really unlucky and the SR difference of both teams is high when you win and low when you lose (improbable)

• the matches you won were close matches, while the losses were decisive

• You’re not playing as well as the average player on that hero does. It’s not clear what datapoints Blizz counts as performance, but one thing that’s pretty certain is that your “time on fire” plays a role. As a rule of thumb: if you’re not on fire once during a round, you’re not playing the role effective enough.

yes, SR is a meme.
If you get 50/50 you should slowly rank up, I get 75/25 and I am literally not moving a single SR for 3 days str8.
SR difference is never more than ~~20-30 points.

I remember loosing 80sr for 1 loss once it was in the role que I was is utter disbelieve… then you get about 17sr for winning :expressionless:

I’d guess, with out knowing your skill or rank. That you placed a little higher than you actually should be and it is just adjusting you.

1 Like

When people need to guess how the rating system works it’s not a good thing.
There are just too many factors the influence the system
(you could loose and go “down” with 0 Sr which is strange or win and get only 3 Sr even if your opponents average is way higher)

I think the system is complicated (just thinking about how they programmed it to calculate you Sr win/loss amount)
And i think they do it so people can’t sell boost to a certain rank (which is a good thing)

The already made a really good move that people can’t qeue with someone who is much much higher in Sr.
So why not follow up with an easy system that everyone can understand.

You win : you get 50 Sr
You lose: you lose 25 Sr
When it a draw : everyone stays on the same Sr as before the match.

The amount of Sr… is just an example but I think you get the point

(why win 50 and only lose 25…this is in case of leavers, feeders, throwers and dc’s so that you as player do not get that punished that hard if you have a case like i mentioned here)

1 Like

That’s because when you rarely win you don’t gain much, and the more you lose games the more sr you lose.

Obviously you’re not very good lol. Maybe that’s why you can’t rank up

2 Likes

Well that’s not fair, i thought that was like gold medals (pointless) but if it impacts your sr gain then BLIZZARD FIX MERCY’S ON FIRE MECHANICS PLEASE!!! it’s been busted since moth meta, what happened to making tanks and support role more desirable. Actually scratch that, with the new pass system they’ve actually managed to but the support q times as well.

1 Like

Being on fire means you are doing things are impacting the game.

The more time you are on fire, the more impact you are consistently having.

So yes, it plays a part in the SR adjustment from the +/-25sr

im assuming you are below diamond since that’s where PBSR(performance based skill rating) applies
basically if you perform better than the average player in your elo you will get a slight sr bonus(meaning you will lose less sr if you lose the match or gain more sr for a win)
if you’re experiencing such wild sr swings it may mean you’re underperforming and as a result of that your MMR(match making rating) is lower than your SR. MMR is a hidden metric only SR is visible. your MMR can lower if you go on a loss streak or if you underperform over the course of many matches. the game is designed in such a way that your SR will constantly chase your MMR. so now judging by the sr gains/losses you provided it seems the game thinks you belong lower than you are and as a result of that it’s trying to push you “where you belong”(not saying that’s true that you belong lower just trying to explain what’s happening)
basically what you have to do now is to show the game you DO belong higher. you can do this by sticking to a smaller hero pool/one tricking since you should have a more consistent performance on 1-2 heroes than playing the entire roster since it seems the algorithm can get a bit confused in case of flex players. another way to sorta “stabilize” your MMR is to get a few wins in a 6stack since the game will have to take your group’s average MMR and make matches for you based on that. another thing that impacts MMR is time of the day that you play - if you play in the morning you have a chance of increasing your MMR bc the playerbase is much smaller in the morning(around 8am-10am gmt).
MMR changes much slower than SR so it may take a bit of a grind. another thing is that once your MMR increases it might feel like the game is expecting you to “carry” - because the game makes matches by making a pool of 12 players and dividing them into two teams to make the average MMR of the team more or less even. so if your MMR gets better you can expect to get some players with lower MMR on your team.
it sucks a lot i agree esp in a team game but you have to focus on maximizing your value i’d recommend reviewing some games and trying to spot what areas you need to improve upon. another good idea might be looking at stats of players in your elo/your goal elo on the characters you play(on overbuff for example) and comparing them to yours - dont get caught in the medal/stats chasing trap tho bc while those ARE important factors they are not the sole factor for winning or losing a game. another important thing is dying less because it seems MMR bases your rating on that as well

hope this helps glhf in your climbing journey!

I could have less than 50% win rate on this account and still go up in rating. When I was below diamond, I was gaining like 25 points per win, sometimes more(Think my max was like 50?) and lost like 10-12 per loss. My other account? Wins like 12 points and loses 25 per loss, it needs like 75% win rate to gain rating.

1 Like

People would be less confused if they made your MMR public.

SR is arbitrary. And will go up and down based on your MMR and performance (until you hit 3k)

So much for encouraging people to flex, in theory it should be a good thing but in reality the game just shafts you.

Flexing was never a “good thing” for those flexing. They just wanted to encourage it because it makes for a better gaming environment if most people are willing to filling in and adapt.

The best players are the ones that one trick and role (rather than a hero). And you will find they tend to play only 1 or 2 heros in that role, based on the patch.

If you are going to one trick someone for a bit, might as well be one of the meta picks.

true! im really confused by it too! but i’ve been tracking my sr gains and losses and it seems the game rewards one tricking - more than that the game rewards dying less even at the cost of my team/a loss (-18sr/loss in a match where i died 4 times vs -27 sr in a match where i died 12 times - both matches on hybrid maps and about the same amount of time)

That is because if you one trick a hero, you tend to get better at said hero. This in turn will increase your MMR as you are performing better on a more consistent basis.

As your MMR goes up, the SR lost when you lose is less.

But as you improve on a single hero, your MMR goes up, and you will just lose less anyways.

And this is why “git gud” is a thing.

1 Like

true true!! consistency is key in climbing

Good players are doing more than just landing abilities and the SR system isn’t able to give credit for those moments. Like, Mei carries when your positioning wins the game but you get low DPS and DMG and your SR suffers. When you consistently make the enemy team rage quit in the first minute and a half but you get no SR. I don’t get “stuffed” very often at all so this doesn’t balance. How about Draws when you destroy the other team’s Time and it felt like a definite win. Why not just award the W to the Best time. Clearly one team is better. SR for wins needs to be raised to compensate for some of this.

If you manage to lose 5 in a row it promptly dumps you into a losers bracket with other L-streaking players and you find yourself losing 5 more because of the quality of player dropping so rapidly. You know 100% you’re better than THIS. Why does it seem like it weighs losses heavier and wants you to lose? OW is a game that makes you improve after every game just by learning from all the interactions. The MM system is expecting you to carry your lower ranked teammates but the lower you go the less effective you are because you’re team can’t enable you with steady tanking or decent healing. You resort to callouts, coaching, and positivity strategies, to try to overcome this when the community insists, it’s just you when its not. You feel like you’re spinning your tires trying to cap a point for 20 minutes because your team cant close the deal even though you got 4 picks but died in the process. Losing is SO easy in Overwatch.

It’s also messed up that new accounts place in high sliver and gold no matter what (at least in my tests on various accounts) so you constantly have 1 or 2 of these noobs throwing in all your games, free falling in SR and making you pull off 20 minute miracles to win. Instead of OW making them work their way up through the ranks fairly, it drags them through dozens of games where they just get absolutely farmed by the stronger enemy players who have up to 5 years more experience in-game.

Game experience and time played are overlooked(characters, metas, map knowledge, mega placements, general game knowledge all learned over time) The system promoting one-tricking and low deaths meanwhile, being able to play all characters is the way to become a better OW player; If you cant use every character you cant counter the enemy or un-counter yourself, there will always be maps you will lose against certain characters because you’re not playing their counter. You can’t dodge enemy abilities as well, shut down ults, combo ults, and choose when to pressure when you don’t fully understand the cooldowns and passives for those characters. Most experienced players have a fav character for each role and each map (attack and defense) and they can adjust on the fly to have the best possible chance of winning. playing these roles helps you understand what they need from you. The game doesn’t reward you for this but i think it should be encouraged more. Lower level players can’t do this as well and its hard just to not throw on 1st CP by picking the wrong character for the map.
I think time played in comp and border level needs to be a bigger factor in MM.

I just lost 68 SR after a loss where I had gold healing and objective time as Lucio, gold objective kills and silver elims, and a card for 5 sound barrier casts and 25 sound barriers given. My teammate lost about 40 and he is a whole rank above me, I’m silver and he’s gold. Could someone explain this clusterf*ck to me…