Stuck in Bronze as Tank, Support, and DPS

okay
I know a lot of people come on here to complain about the current state of Overwatch but there is seriously something wrong here.
I have been playing Overwatch since 2018. For that entire time, except season 12 where I first started, I was silver, I have been stuck in bronze.
I have noticed I have gotten better at the game and can now am really good on a range of heroes like Ashe, Soldier:76, Mercy and DVA. However, I am still bronze.
Especially around the event times, the number of smurfs and throwers pretty much double so I get extremely lucky if there isn’t at least one in my game.
I am getting silver and gold elims and hero damage as DPS but am currently ranked below 500 SR.
Tank and Support are a little better but are both below 1000SR. I have looked at YouTube videos, coaching videos, got a few tips from OWL players on Twitch but nothing seems to be working.

There are also people who refuse to switch to a more viable hero (e.g: Hammond switching to rein) and then blame the DPS for losing and calling me toxic for suggesting a switch.

Any serious ideas for me, and I don’t mean the suggestion of “Git Gud”. That isn’t helpful in any case.

1 Like

For that entire time, except season 12 where I first started, I was silver, I have been stuck in bronze.

Rank doesn’t really reflect skill all that well, however I doubt it’s significantly out of alignment (more than a rank or two).

I have noticed I have gotten better at the game

What makes you think that? What criteria are you judging your skill on?

I am getting silver and gold elims and hero damage as DPS but am currently ranked below 500 SR.

I get gold elims as a support quite frequently, that’s no guarantee that you’re some god of the game, you’re just better than everyone on your team in that one particular way.

I have looked at YouTube videos, coaching videos, got a few tips from OWL players on Twitch but nothing seems to be working.

The simple answer to ranking up is to play more matches, but ask yourself why you want to have a higher rank in the first place. I assure you that the matches do not get better the higher you go.

There are also people who refuse to switch to a more viable hero

If they won’t swap then you should swap to match them. Arguing with them in chat will not help anyone, and it’s just distracting for the rest of the team.

1 Like

thanks to 2-2-2, if i’m healer I can’t switch to shield can i?
I know I am far from being “Godly” as you put. I have improved game sense and aim as I have mentioned I am pretty decent with Ashe.
I want to rank up so I can play with my friends who are all silver and gold tank.
Not everyone who complains about this game is some whiny kid who screams that the rules are not fair, so don’t treat people on here like that.
“The simple answer to ranking up is to play more matches”
My current playtime stands at 328 hours and I am level 389, don’t quite get how that is not enough play time.
so besides that about more playtime, you haven’t really been helpful, but I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my post.

1 Like

I am pretty much in same position as you. I “think” i should better than bronze, but SR decides that i am not.

I typically play Orisa, and feel like i play ok. Never give up ,never throw, never leave and never afk.
Yet, sometimes, you get players who do the above and spoil the game.

I guess its about getting a half decent team and making sure you are half decent too.

SR doesn’t lie

2 Likes

Even though you play from 2018, I can see that you haven’t invested a lot of time in the game, hard to progress if you play like 3-4 competitive matches per week only. If you can, try to play every day at least 1-2 games. I know a guy that went from silver to top 500 in a year or so just by playing in quickplay. Not even comp.

i do play at least 3 comp matches a day, maybe more. so if I am playing enough then what could be the problem?

300-odd hours over a few years isn’t a huge amount compared to much of the player base. It’s fine though, there is no real reason to be bronze even with 25 hours play time with the right mindset and knowledge.

I would hesitantly suggest that there are fundamental things wrong with your approach to climbing, could you give replay codes for your last 5 games win or lose?

X8APA7
79H9TS
KJE1AD
7DVQTD
F9XFDS
These are just me playing Tank as I was focusing on that role.

1 Like

I started from silver in S11, it’s tough to climb, I agree, but it’s very doable.

Some quick tips for you:

1. Use VC, call out things, be positive, try to come up with strats.
  2. Pick only one role and 2-3 similar heroes to play for the time being. You can increase your hero pool as you get better. Focus on playing the role and heroes that you have the highest win percentage at.
  3. I think that playing consistently is more important than total hours spent playing. Play every day.
  4. Find some higher rank players through LFG. You’ll learn faster by playing in a higher rank and being challenged.
2 Likes

ill take a look at some of your vids. i just started duoing w a friend and gained like 700 sr in a week.

1 Like

I know I am pretty terrible as dps, no doubt about it. Which one would you say is better to focus on; Tank or Support?

ok just watched one of your games, the first one actually. here are a few tips that I’d give you. but first of all, your case is not a lost one and you can definitely get out of bronze.

1-try to focus on getting good at one or two heroes. Your orisa was much better than your dva and your ball from what I saw.

2- try to change your mindset from getting kills to staying alive. I watched you solo dive multiple times in your games, if your team isn’t behind you, you are toast man.

3- learn to pick your targets. in the game i saw, as dva, you went and solo dove a reaper. reaper is a hard counter to you man. he can and will melt you in seconds, that’s a bad engagement.

4-try to enable teammates. lets take dva for example- she has defence matrix. if you would have stuck together with your rein, you’d have been able to help his shield last longer by eating damage for him.

5- group up. it really is the best way. find someone you have synergy with before the game and just duo. Two people with synergy on a team make a hell of a lot of difference.

1 Like

tank hands down, easier to carry and shorter q times so you will climb faster

2 Likes

Thanks, will take everything you have said as very good advice. It’s weird that I am better at Orisa given how I’ve played DVA more.

dont even bother with dva i used to OTP her now shes unplayable

1 Like

if your good at the game you will get out of your rank, no one likes being in low ranks because yes the quality of the game is worse, but its worse for you and the enemy. I got overwatch on the pc not that long, give or take 4-5 months. im nearly master tank, diamond dps, and high plat support. started in low gold on all roles, and ive only played 2-3 seasons od comp. you cant say to yourself I think im pretty good at the game, you need to take the mindset that your the one who needs to improve. you get bad teammates in every rank, but if you are “stuck” bronze then your not good enough to be silver, simple as. if you played like a silver you would eventually get to silver, might take some time but you would

Before playing in comp, play two QP games and see how much teamwork is involved with the game from your teammates.

If its toxic or heated avoid comp, it its reasonable then play some comp.
Performance and skill is not something your looking for its teamwork only.
If the teams attitude is positive then its a good sign your comp matches will be positive.

In my first season (s5) I was bronze but there is no record of it cuz I climbed out to silver that same season. I think it is possible to climb. I kept changing how I play and I eventually climbed. I focused on what I do and not what others do as I just work around my team to get the goal (I main support and used to one trick zen)

PS medals mean nothing at all forget they exist

It is possible, I started this season @749Sr in Tank, went through losing and winning streaks, leavers, afk, the whole lot but yesterday hit 1500.
I have focused on Orisa.

Feel gooood man, now onto gold!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, currently on a 10+ win streak with Mercy after pairing up with a dps and have gotten a fair bit of praise for going support in open queue

1 Like