Thanks for the last 6 years

So with around 2 weeks left until the launch of OW2 and the current servers being shut down in favour of the new system, I wanted to address some things.

First and foremost, I’ve been here since the open beta and I’ve loved this game despite its faults the whole way through. Made some great friends and even found love through this game (going three years strong now :blush: )

But this new business model just isn’t going to be the same. I’ve never been a fan of battlepasses, and one of the things that kept me in OW was the fact that I paid once, and I had the whole game. No little packs to grant new heroes, no microtransactions to get the latest thing, and even the lootbox system allowed you to get the cosmetics through playing. It wasn’t overly grindy, it didn’t feel cheap and exploitative. I just played the game I bought, and I got stuff. Perfect.
The idea that I have to either pay for a battlepass every X amount of time or grind Y amount of playtime so that I can access the new hero and see if I even like how they play is just so off-putting. It’s completely counter to the spirit of the game.

One of the things that made this game so successful was that it was not microtransaction hell, or battlepass nonsense. And now, blizz have just completely turned on that. OW2 was conceived because fans wanted more PvE content, but this is not looking anything like what we asked for.

So to finish up, thanks for the 6 years of fun games and memes and general shenanigans that my friends, girlfriend and I can hold on to, but if this EA-esque model is where it’s headed, I’m calling it quits. I’m hoping things can change going forward, but I don’t have a whole lot of confidence in that.

Cheers guys, see ya

5 Likes

To quote a great philosopher…

This isn’t an airport, you don’t need to announce your departure.

Have fun out there!

2 Likes

In case u didn’t know Overwatch 1 was 40euros,Overwatch 2 is free to play for evryone,things that u do not have on begning u will have it abit later,but the game offer u to have it on begning as well,so it’s on you.40 Euros is not a big deal the same amount i pay for Overwatch 1,and 10euros for battlepass is not much is actually cheap. (I am not rich guy) but i make comperations to the others game’s shop.

1 Like

That 40 euroes got me the 6 years I was just talking about. Assuming the battlepasses are quarterly, that same amount gets me a year at 10 euros. If they’re monthly, that’s worse. You’re not selling me on how “cheap” it is.

Problem is, that old model is what killed OW. Why make content for something if you’re not getting paid.

This new model changes that, and it’s every 9 weeks btw. But you don’t need go buy any of them. You can earn coins to buy them, so you can get at least every other one for free.

1 Like

Then,now is even better for you,you paid in the past 40euros,now is for free,so well done Blizzard Activision!And I have to add that I agree with @RodimusPrime what hey said:

But in case @AngryFroggo you are searching for a game that is evrything free including shop,please if u find any let me know.

1 Like

hope you find another game! Im not a fan of battlepasses either

No, that’s not what this is. This is “here’s a taste. if you want the full thing, pay us repeatedly”. That’s not good my guy.

How do you not get what I’m saying? I don’t want in-game shops to endlessly pour money into. I want to buy a game and play the game. I don’t want to be pressured into continuing to pay so I can access the full thing. I don’t want to have to grind gameplay for something that I don’t even know if I’m gonna like (such as new heroes). I’m not even saying I want everything to be free. I literally said I want to pay for a game and get the game. That’s not “getting everything for free”

What? Nothing “killed” OW. It’s still active even now with only a couple of weeks left before the servers go down.
Also, the whole “buy one get one free” thing isn’t really helping when my problem is the continual paying for content lol.

2 Likes

Even they said there was 2 options. Continue as we are and let it die because there would be no budget to improve anything.

Or move on to this model where there is a chance to generate regular income to push forward with development.

It’s fine to not like it, but without it the games gone.

If you can’t pay artists for their art, you don’t deserve it.

1 Like

For the last damn time, I’m not saying I can’t/won’t pay them. I’m saying I won’t be exploited. I will buy a game that I want to play. That will support the artists. Microtransactions aren’t the same thing.

“microtransactions” are no different. They put some skins, or a charms, or even a battlepass up for sale. You choose if you want to pay for it or not.

You aren’t being “exploited”, that’s pretty embarrassing if you feel that. The choice is completely yours if you buy something or not. The only person who can exploit you in this system, is you.

1 Like

Then buy it watchpoint 40euros,what’s problem?

no matter how many times you repeat stuff to him, he wont listen m8.

Talk to me dude. Don’t do this trolling to cause a disruption, it is sad.

i am replying to him (clearly), i dont want to talk to you? whats sad is you replying to me when Im replying to someone else.

Then don’t talk about me champ. Not difficult.

When you go F2P, this is the result, they have to make money in other ways.

The way I see it I will try BP for the first year of OW2, if I enjoy the game, I’ll keep playing it past that, if not, at least I’ll know first hand that the game and payment structure isn’t for me.

We should give it a chance first before retiring completely, but that’s just me

1 Like

More people need to think like this.

Too many people are writing stuff off before we have any information or experience of what is going to happen.

1 Like