There no defense against report system abuse

So? How does this make what I am doing wrong? Suppose someone kills your whole family, if you do anything to inconvenience them by your logic you are a bad person because the murderer might not like going to court for example.

But you wont do something as silly to begin with and hence why your world view is so easy to break.

You got it mixed up:

You stated that this is your belief. Therefore, you should not treat other people the way you do not want to be treated.
For instance: let us say that you despise people not cleaning after their dogs, then, following your belief, you should be cleaning after your dog.

And this is where you twisted my words because apparently once I said I don’t like treating people badly that means I should never treat anyone badly no matter what they do to me. These are your words. To you the concept of self defense apparently is non existent or you just like to argue for the sake of arguing, I am not sure.

Either way you are twisting something good into something completely stupid.

If your concept of “self defense” is striking back. Then yes.
My concept of self defence is to avoid the hit, if it’s not possible, then take it without fighting back, unless it’s necessary.
When it comes to flaming – the topic from which this argument started – I would never flame back, only I would attempt to peace the situation out or I would not intervene at all, if I knew that my act would do no good.

Then answer my question, why are you dodging it?

Suppose someone kills your whole family, if you do anything to inconvenience them by your logic you are a bad person because the murderer might not like going to court for example.

Obviously since you’ll never retaliate you wont have a problem letting the other person go.

I would go to court, because whenever I do a bad deed, I want to face the responsibility of it.

Wait, thats not what I meant. I meant sending the other guy to court. So you’d kill him or hurt him then? If thats the case then its all over, I already said in the very first post that what I am doing might get me into trouble HOWEVER the instigator, the guy who started it all should get the brunt of the fault, not the person who responds to him. To say that both share the same amount of responsibility is frankly asinine.

So did I. By “I would go to court” I meant that I would go there to set the case.

Either this is a misunderstanding to my previous post, or your country has a death penalty.

This is where relative morality comes in: it’s against Blizzard’s rules to flame.
But, because you’re not starting the flame, only merely flaming back, you see it as less responsibility.
The way I see it: flaming is flaming, whether you spark it or fight fire with fire. Either way, all arsonists have the same amount of responsibility for the burns.

Now, since I am trying to wake up early, to have no trouble waking up when college starts – despite already being late to bed – I bid you a good, restful night!

1 Like

Well then, if that is the case then human intervention is never needed. No matter what you do as long as it is deemed bad you get a black point, the whole process of reviewing and seeing who did what is pointless.

You are endorsing a mob rule system where anything and everything can be deemed as an offense and treated the same way as everything else.

Those who solo Q should know that the rest of the team composition might not be what they were dreaming about but this is usually not the case. For this reason when someone is crying in chat I ignore it, if crying in voice chat then mute it. I flex quite often both in QP and Comp solo Q, but not always.

If they are crying about team comp ignore it. If they write/says something disrespectful then report and ignore it. By talking back and starting a pointless s**t trowing contest you are simply making something bad even worse with zero chance of achieving anything. Why do you invest energy in something that is guaranteed to result in nothing useful? I know it is hard for some people to not to answer chat messages like “useless hanzo” and the like but it is really not worth answering them.

I almost always use zero communication (text/voice), bare minimum required for comp gameplay, and I’m probably being reported rather rarely considering my endorsement level (4). In my opinion 5 and 6 DPS QP matches can also be fun. Sometimes we win it or becomes tight even if we lose it (which means it was still a good match). Some people cry from start to end even when the end result is win.

If the debate isn’t about team comp then it’s probably even better idea to ignore. If you want to avoid solo Q players who cry for team composition then use the “Find a Group” feature to create your own group or join one with the class you want to play and chat/talk as little as possible.

Blizzard won’t be unhappy if a few troublemakers leave and that would actually solve problems for a lot of people. Another solution is following what I’ve recommended above.

1 Like

You misunderstood, if I have certainty that my intervention would not do any good, then I would not act. Whereas, if I had a reasonable, in some cases tiniest, sliver of hope that I can improve a situation, then I would act.

And there we have it, it happened again.
I received a warning for multiple reports bc of “abusive chat”.
Laughable.

Just yesterday I confronted a 3-stack playing their “own game” ignoring what the rest of the team wanted, running in like rambo and dying.
There was no abusive chat from my side - very well from their side. I even screenshotted the whole conversation… but guess what. If the toxic 3-stack decides to report you for “abusive chat” then it’s 3 unlawful reports for you.

The automated reporting system going by quantity rather than quality promotes/ resembles more of a witch hunt than anything else.
Moreover, it silences justice-seeking players who would actually stand up against misbehaviour.

And it’s rather pathetic that Blizzard forum GMs won’t take a stand on this issue here!

Furthermore, I really don’t understand why Blizzard removed the option “report for bad tamplay/ cooperation”.

1 Like

You are investing time in something that is 99% guaranteed to result in nothing positive. I understand your frustration but they’ll do whatever they want. You have to prepare for this if you jump into the game without a 6 pack team. When I realise in a solo Q game that the goal probably isn’t winning then I pick heros to entertain myself or heros I want to learn and ignore the chat and everything else. If the game lasts long than perhaps it isn’t such a bad game after all, tight enough even if I lose. If we lose it quickly then I haven’t wasted that much time and I go for another that might be a better one. Pointless to engage in a toxic conversation.

Even if your intentions are good, most people don’t like being told what to do and/or getting lessons on gameplay. Human nature. Those 3 guys might have jumped into the game to try some tactics (dive or something). Whether the official rules allow it or not given that it might ruin the game of 3 other people, I don’t know… But even if it ruined, technically it’s impossible to make a difference between those people and genuinely bad casual players.

Because it’s difficult/impossible to draw the line between genuinely bad players and those who intentionally screw up gameplay. With OW’s huge player base you can’t hire an army of moderators to watch all reported matches and play the human judge “who was right”. Anyway, in most cases none of the players are right in a toxic conversation and I’d punish them all. This is probably what they are doing with their automated system. Humans are likely to check only those cases flagged as very serious by the automated system (like racism, suicidal chat, or something similarly weird thing).

1 Like

I don’t understand your point. So because I return in kind when I am attacked that means I like being attacked randomly? This makes no sense and you should really stop trying to dig too dip into something so simple.

Anyway lets give an example. You are at the bar, drinking with your buddies. Some idiot comes out of nowhere and breaks a glass into one of your friends’ heads. You knock him out. Now, can you get into trouble for this? Absolutely. Will the instigator who started the fight out of nowhere get the bigger punishment? Also absolutely. To treat both instances as deserving an equal punishment is frankly stupid.

But you do understand that that’s just your opinion? Treating others the way you want them to treat you is a nice idea but in practise it’s a bad belief to live by. Even if somebody hits you in the face they don’t deserve to be hit back or that’s just how I see things. Just because somebody acts out like an idiot doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be the bigger guy and frankly the ToS is in line with my views.

I’m not saying that your beliefs are worse/better than mine, but you sure are doing exactly that to the system which is why I think your response is rather unreasonable even when you’re not acting back out of spite rather than to lecture. Your approach on the matter is very naive. Then again if you’re ready to face the consequences and don’t expect not to receive backlash for going against the ToS I guess that’s fine

While the automatic system takes only quantity into account you’ll be able to get any sort of suspension/silence removed by a ticket as long as you’re really clean because at that point they’ll check chatlogs etc and quality steps into the picture.

I’d say it depends on the individual how much sh*t is tolerated before the favour is returned but from most of the others’ perspective both of the fighters are unwanted brainless animals. Same applies to abusive chat.

If someone broke a glass on my head I’d probably return the favour with interest. Physical harm/threat steps way too far over the line for me.

However the pointless “sh*t throwing contest” in overwatch chat isn’t worth joining in my opinion. There is an endless supply of human stupidity - if you start a fight against it then you are bound to lose. The only strategy that works against stupidity is avoiding it. By answering stupid inflammatory messages you do a favour for the troll: he knows that a nerve has been hit and this is what exactly what he wanted. Sucking you into his id**tic game. I wouldn’t waste my valuable time on that.

In case of the physical fistfight I’m hurt, I don’t have a choice. However in case of chat the opinion of not very smart people is meaningless/unimportant for me so they can’t really hurt me. They are unworthy of my attention.

So I have got perma banned yesterday evening for no reason whatsoever. I have never been quite toxic in the chat. In the heat of the battle, some of my messages could be interpreted as offensive but I am just trying to do anything within my reach. One of those things is constructive criticism like: “switch off widow”, or “our dps is terrible” or “this is not winnable like that”.

But nothing really drastical. I would understand the harsh punishment if I have been extremly racist or threatened someone with death, but that’s not the case.

The email they sent to me says there was a '“careful review of evidence” but I believe this has happened automatically. I suspect that because I have received the suspension just after discussing how someone was performing rather poorly in our team. I am sure that no human being has actually reviewed any evidence.

I have over 800 hours of playtime, and most of the ingame content by the way. I have been playing over 12 hours a day, and it’s not hard to collect many reports from people who cannot take criticism.

I have contacted the customer support about the issue and to send me some evidence that could lead to a permaban, but they have only sent me a general vague message and closed the ticket. Additionally they have now disabled my access to their support entirely.

I have been mistreated by Blizzard. I am shocked and disgusted to see such a poor customer support that only sends bot messages.
This thing that we call “report system” is not about what you have done or not. It’s all about the numbers.

Will buy the game once again as I have no other choice. It’s just so depressing having to shell out an other 60 buck and start everything over again just to get banned again 800 levels after because some random widow mains can’t take constructive criticism but report you instead.

GG blizz… What has happened to my beloved game?

9 Likes

I can name dozen on top of my head, what games have you been playing?