Tried ranking up but no promotion

Hello, sorry if I sound ignorant but I feel I’m just not ranking up anymore after winning 7 games I still ended up in Plat 1, So I thought another would be okay but still ended up in plat 1.

Am I missing something here why can’t I get to Diamond.

Thanks for listening.

First question.

How many games did it take you to get your second 7 wins (ie how many losses).

So I believe I lost around 6 or so before 7 wins I’ve been reading up about this ‘hidden’ SR so I think it might be that. Maybe I’m just really bad at the game :slight_smile:

The “hidden” SR is just the SR from OW1, that hasn’t changed. We just now have an annoying way of displaying our ranks.

So if you lost 6 and won 7, then you would have only gone up about 25sr (will actually be a little more or less depending on performances).

When you start a season, you will get a couple of round of “big” jumps in division as the visual rank adjusts to where your SR actually is. So if you are in the boat you are in, you are right where you should be on current ability.

So now you have a couple of choices.

1. accept it, and just have fun playing the games you are playing
  2. find a way to improve how you play and slowly climb more.

I am more in the 1 category these days. I know my limits and I don’t have the time to grind improvements so for now I am content.

If you want to go for 2, there are a few people about in Discord servers that will happily help review games, or the US forums, there are always people willing to do the same if you share codes.

This is my view and everyone has their own view, considering Blizzard doesn’t share details, we don’t know exactly but… I don’t think that the MMR system in OW2 is based on the same as the SR system worked in OW1 (as mentioned above). In OW1 your ranking was highly influenced by your win/loss ratio whereas in OW2 it is not. You could perfectly go up ranking while having lost more games than you’ve won but statistically this won’t happen too often ofcourse.

The MMR rank (hidden rank) is your actual ranking. Your viewable ranking follows your MMR ranking in a maximum jump of 2 ranks per time. (at least upwards, no idea how it works downwards). If you are “stuck” at platinum, your viewable ranking has reached your MMR ranking. Wins or losses don’t matter that much. The statts you gathered from your gameplay do matter (at least for supports since I’m a support main). I am actually convinced this rank system (and the one in OW1) is designed to force a 50/50 win rate as much as possible.

I started a second account 2 weeks ago (for funzies :slight_smile: ) and when i’m in game now, I ask the teammates what ranking they are. This tells me what MMR I am at. For instance when I was plat 5, I was playing with people that were diamond 3. At that moment I know my MMR is put at around diamond 3, my viewable ranking was still plat 5 though. So I knew 100% sure the next time my ranking would update, it would go to plat 3 (maximum of 2 ranks up). I didn’t keep track of my wins/losses but even if I would have lost more, I would have still gone up to plat 3.

Anyways, don’t focus on wins/losses. Rather focus on improving your gameplay. Best to do this is to view youtube guides (look for the good ones because there are also a lot of BS ones). Do not listen to what people tell you ingame neither. On this second account I play Brig/Zen… The amount of ****** that think me as a Zen is the issue, purely because I don’t output as much healing as the others,… Oh man. So many people in OW are clueless, it made me realize how difficult of a game OW actually is I guess.

Anyways, youtube… watch videos. My advise would be to pick 2 characters and learn them until you master them. A good excercise as well is whenever you died, look around and ask yourself the question “Could I have avoided getting killed here?” => to improve your positioning. If you tell me the class you play, I could give suggestions so that if one of the two is being countered, you could play your second.

This is completely spot on.

Until you mention “forced”. It doesn’t force anything. That is just the consequences of an MMR system accurately tracking your current skill level, a healthy player base, and a match maker finding you well balanced matches on a very consistent basis.

Once you hit your level, you should be hitting 50/50 Overwatch. At that point you need to either knuckle down and keep working on improving, or enjoy your games for what they are.

The endless amounts of topics complaining about having bad teammembers on their team seem to contradict this statement.

Overwatch their objective is not to create a balanced matchmaking system. Their main objective is to optimize profits.

Casual gamers are the biggest group of gamers and there is most money to be made from casual gamers. Overwatch is perfecting their rank system to work in a way where everyone, including the casual gamers, are “happy”. Everyone goes up in ranking throughout the season (because they lower everyone’s ranking in the beginning). And they manipulate the matchmaking in order to give everyone a 50/50 winrate. This is how they get everyone hooked and give money… Was also the case in OW1 for a big part.

But ofcourse this is speculation since Blizzard would never make something public like this. Don’t get me wrong, I like the new system more than the old one. In ow1 you had to win to go up in rank. Now it matters less so… It bothers me less now. I suppose in the end it is for the good of the game popularity, which keeps it alive.

1 Like

There are indeed ENDLESS. Doesn’t mean anything though.

People complain about everything.

Overwatch’s objective is to do both. And, to a point, they do. I am not sure what profits has to do with this though. They are a shareholder owned business, if they don’t maximise profits from each IP, the board will try bin that IP off. No profit, no Overwatch for you to complain about.

But yes, the whole “forced” “rigged” and whatever they come up with this week is just that, speculation. Incorrect speculation. It comes from people who just want something to blame, its always the matchmaker, or team mates, or the colour of a badge, or a smurf… Never them. So they’ve made up some tale of fixing based on the most tenuous of links.

I take it you don’t have a source to prove this which makes your statement equally so, even if you act that your opinion is right and all those endless topics are meaningless.

The more people enjoy your game, the more money flows in. Keep them happy by giving them a 50 win ratio and make them think they are decent at the game by increasing their visual ranking throughout the season.

1 Like

Just as there is no source to prove you right.

Literally no one has a 50/50 win rate. Even the completely unreliable Overbuff (looking purely at my own account)… I am taking their numbers with a massive pinch of salt because who knows what it’s looking at these days.
DPS - 58-55
Tank - 60-58
Support - 70-85

And you will never come up with a way of forcing it. All the conspiracies about it are hilarious madness.

And based on these:

You have a total 51% win rate… Do the math. As close as it gets to the 50/50 win rate.

A coincidence is not proof.

Also, I don’t trust Overbuff in the slightest. So I have now just loaded the game up to see hero win rates…

So for the heroes I play most…
74%
74%
65%
62%
62%
61%
61%
60%
58%
57%
55%
46% (Ball lol)
Some missed out on that like Hanzo (100%) because I think I played him for like 30 seconds. And a bunch on tanks I just rolled out with in “lost” games to get some practice on (Doom 0%)

From the rest I’ve gone from mid Silver to near Diamond, as I did in Season 1. Nothing near a 50/50 record as that wouldn’t be possible.