We need new male characters

I seems like mostly guys play Overwatch. Why is Blizzard making all their new characters female?
Blizzard clearly wants to force guys to play women characters because, in some sense, it emasculates them. Toxic masculinity is a frightening for the folks at Blizzard and this is their only defense.

Hi !

Most new characters are indeed female, but here are a few questions to, maybe, make you think about it in an other way.

mostly guys play Overwatch

Do you have this impression because you mostly hear guys speaking in voice chat and almost never girls? If so, you might hear mostly guys because a lot of girls don’t feel welcome to speak in VC. It is not inherent to Overwatch though, and some other games’ communities are even worse towards women. You might be right that there are more guys playing OW, because in general this type of game attracts more guys, but you have to consider that a lot of girls won’t speak in VC or make you aware that they are a girl in chat.

Blizzard clearly wants to force guys to play women characters because, in some sense, it emasculates them.

I think it’s not about forcing guys to play women characters, but mostly getting more girls to play OW. They pretty much want an inclusive game, like it or not, and if they can have more girls playing it because they have a hero they see as badass and cool and that, to some different degree, represent them, Blizzard is going to go for it. Just like you can have a male hero that can represent you.

Also, OW has a story, a lore that the team has to follow before publishing a new hero, a new map, etc. Their hero pool (as in the next heroes that will go in the game) is somewhat planned months and months in advance. I believe this is a question of “what hero do we want to put in the game, and which one has a lore that we can strategically get out now” more than “how can we emasculate the guys in our fanbase”.

To finish, you should note that, omnics and non-humans included in the count, there are 15 female heroes (including Echo and Orisa) and 17 male heroes (including Bastion, Hammy and Zen).
We have basically the same number of male and female heroes, even if you get the non-humans and omnics out of the count.
I bought the game when Brig was released. Since then, they released Sigma and Baptiste (and Wrecking Ball, if you count it as male hero), maybe you feel emasculated because you don’t consider those two characters as representative of you? Maybe you don’t have a male hero in the existing pool that you connect to?

It would be cool to have your feedback on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

This thread is wrong in many ways.

You’re not forced to play these female heroes, not to mention the latest 3 released heroes have 2 males and one female.

If you’re saying they shouldn’t add more female heroes because there are mostly male players then isn’t that kind of judging by gender?

You’re literally judging gender in a video game for entertainment.
If at all some players complain because there is a lack of female characters.

There is literally no need to discuss gender in a video game.

If playing female characters emasculates you, the real problem might be your fragile ego. Also, you clearly don’t know what the term ‘toxic masculinity’ actually means, so that’s the next problem. Take your half-truths and hateful propaganda and go away. Or, if you want to one day become a decent human being, try to learn what things actually mean and how to be less fragile.

4 Likes

I think we should let artist make whatever characters they want. Trying to fit characters into some imaginary quota for political (and therefore invalid) reasons is how you wind up with non-sense like pretending Soldier 76 was created LGBT.

1 Like

I think we should let artist make whatever characters they want. Trying to fit characters into some imaginary quota for political (and therefore invalid) reasons is how you wind up with non-sense like pretending Soldier 76 was created gay.

Last time I counted there was 15 female and 16 male characters + 1 bastion, so at least to me it seems it’s quite balanced? /shrugs Also, how exactly is equal amount of representation “forcing guys to play female characters”? Would also be interested to hear your reasoning in “mostly guys playing OW.”

3 Likes