Wrongfully Banned from Overwatch [Since overturned, I am now unbanned]

I recently received an email from Blizzard, which I initially thought was a phishing attempt, stating that my account has been permanently suspended for Cheating(hacks). To my surprise, I have in fact been banned from Overwatch.

I am posting today, not because I expect this to be overturned, but because if it has happened to me it will happen to others; I hope if enough people speak up Blizzard will be forced to achknowledge that their Anti-Cheat system is wrongfully banning people.

I have of course appealed the account closure which generated this automatic response “We take these types of issue very seriously, and a full investigation is done before any action taken. In this case we have deemed that the evidence provided is correct and the action will not be overturned”.

Theories I have that could have caused this injustice:

• I have annoyed someone in-game who either works for Blizzard, or knows someone who does.
  • More likely: having Counter Strike - Global Offensive open at the same time as OW and CS:GO’s Anti-Cheat System has triggered a false positive. This is the most logical answer to me, as the rest of the software on my computer has been unchanged for a long time, only recently have I installed CS:GO and the ban occured hours after I played a game of OW while having CS:GO open.

I must say this experience has tarnished my opinion of Blizzard, a company I have given thousands of pounds over more than a decade. If I want to keep playing OW, not only will I have to pay for it again, I am going to have to switch accounts every time I want to play Hearth Stone or WoW. If I could afford it, I would employ a lawyer to take things further as a matter of princible.

1 Like

Now the question is. What could possibly be the reason why they banned you for cheating?

I think I mentioned my theories in the thread bud. Hope it happens to you.

No thats not what I mean. I mean what could possibly be a Cheat that they would see in your gameplay for you to get banned? Or did you cheat and now youre mad because you got caught? Everything is the possibility here

1 Like

Do you think it’s possible, that I might be mad because I have been accused and convicted of something I haven’t done?
I invite someone from Blizzard to post the replay(s) here, as I am not able to see them anymore and explain exactly what they saw. I suggest that replays were not even watched and this is a case of false positive from Blizzards Anti-Cheat system.

I think you can request a live chat and ask there about your ban cause. I did that once when I was silenced and then I saw why I was exactly silenced because I had no clue :smiley:

Both your theories are not plausible. The vengeful is laughable at best, so quickly discounted.

As for the other, blizzard don’t scan your device for such applications so this won’t be detected.

Your condescending and dismissive tone followed by conjecture is not useful to this thread.

Blizzard’s Anti-Cheat system is not meant to have false positives, but something has gone awry and has lead to me being banned.

1 Like

It isn’t meant to you’re right. And chances are it hasn’t.

If you are so sure, you need to appeal directly and discuss with them.

They don’t like people posting about their account actions on the forums sadly.

You are not the only one for the past weaks. There is a lot of people who got falsely banned lately, there is some problem in AC for sure

If they really banned you unjustly, and you really have spent thousands on the game, and you enjoy playing it that much, just buy a new account and you can play again, since they won’t reverse their decision.

Or just wait for OW2 and jump back in with a fresh account.

Exactly.

If you wait for OW2, chances are accounts will be free.

But I have a question, did u actually Cheat…?
Because If u did idk why are you so mad

1 Like

i am actually quite upset by this. If anyone from blizzard reads this; please explain how you think i was cheating

They dont. As I said. Request a support ticket or do a live chat and ask there. It worked for me aswell when I wanted to know the reason of my silence.

1 Like

I have appealed twice. It’s called free speach, if you want a company to stand up and take notice, you need to go public.

well if you think that works then keep trying

That isn’t free speech. That is your right to peaceful protest.

But Gimby is 100% spot on. Appeal, keep appealing and try live chat.

You aren’t allowed to discuss account actions on here technically.

I am no longer able to start a live chat. I have checked on my wife’s account, she is able to. I tried making a new account to do so, they have banned my PC’s ID it seeems.

1 Like

Probably because you are banned.

Just make a new account and go again. Or call it quits and walk away from the whole experience.