[Xbox one] Game crashes on entering game

After I downloaded the new winter wonderland 2021 update the game crashes after showing entering game. It kicks me out of the game with no error code. On some occasions I get passed the loading screen but it crashes shortly after. I think it has to do with the update because I was literally playing right before the maintenance shut down.

5 Likes

Came here to make the exact same post. I updated last night (Xbox One S) and ever since I crash and get sent to the dashboard upon the “entering game” screen… can’t get any further but I was just playing the night before too.
Hope Blizzard can let us know why or maybe throw us a hotpatch or something.

5 Likes

Same issue here, once the update happened I can’t get past the home menu, just kicks me right out to the Xbox home screen.

2 Likes

this aint the solution. lol

Hey all and thanks for the reports!

We’re aware of this issue and working on a fix already, though it likely won’t make it to live until next week.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks again for your help in raising this!

2 Likes

Since the update yesterday, my Son has not been able to play Overwatch. He gets to the Menu screen where it freezes and then crashes back to the xbox home screen. He played it regularly up until that point. Interestingly, I can play Overwatch on his xbox on my profile no problems. Also, he also gets exactly the same problem when playing on his profile on my xbox. So it looks like a profile / save game issue.

I’ve reinstalled, properly reset the xboxs, cleared player cache etc, all the same. He cannot get past the menu screen.

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Yeah I have this problem too, its distressing do to the lack of response but im going to keep trying.

Just noting for the record that I’m having this exact same issue unfortunately. I’m on Xbox One S. When opening the game after the update, it force closes and returns to the Xbox screen no matter how many attempts and resets I do. It worked completely fine before the update and this isn’t happening with any other games. I hope to see the game functioning again ASAP. I was excited to grab the new Christmas skins on a Saturday night run! :sob:

Same Problem here with Xbox One X. Crash @ Loadin Game… back to start Page. Hope they fix it soon, i need to farm the week one skin :wink:

Same issue here [Xbox Series S] uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to no avail.

Since a fix is likely to not happen soon, will the Tracer Challenge skin be extended? 2 of the 5 profiles we use were effected by this error and those 2 profiles belong to my younger daughters. Surprisingly it did not effect my husband’s and oldest daughter’s profiles nor my own profile. Just the two younger ones were.

We original thought the error was due to parental settings in their voice chat as anytime we did make it into the game, an error about the voice chat would pop up and then the game would freeze and black screen to the Xbox home screen. But nothing in the parental settings fixed it.

Well I have uninstalled the game for now . My Xbox series x cannot stand so many crashes coming from ow .

1 Like

Try this for a fix see as I’ve got other games such as Ark I load up a map , log out then close that game open up then Overwatch and load in and let the menu idle for a few moments it only works for a temporary fix for me anyway have to repeat it each time I wanna have a Overwatch session once you close the game it breaks again ,least this should work for most till the patch is released I don’t really have any idea why it only causes it to crash on a certain account I play on ,my alts work fine even running on same console

They fixed the entering game crash but now u get constant frame drops which makes the game impossible to play

Hoping they fix this soon but at least u can buy the skins u want now

1 Like

You can’t get the weekly challenge skins though, unless you play. Which is a bit impossible right now.

1 Like

the latest update seems to have fixed the issue . No longer getting crashed . Getting full 120 fps on my Xbox series x again while playing overwatch.

the update to make the game crashing go away worked perfectly, except for the fact that the game is completely unplayable due to constant frame drops (note that this is only on one of my accounts and not the other). Like cmon blizzard alteast make your game playable

1 Like

Same here. 3 of the 5 accounts work in our house. We have multiple consoles and have the same issue on all of them. This update really messed stuff up.

strange but then again it is completely possible.

Mine only crashes after I load into a comp game. Season ban for me