Your rendering device has been lost?

At the moment i am unable to start the game as it crashes and soft locks my pc forcing me to restart every time i try to play.
I get the message your rendering device has been lost which has never happend before.
Looking online im seeing a bunch of posts from like 2017 2018 talking about updating drivers, turning on gpu scaling and enabling superfetch or something. All other games i have played which are much more demanding are still fine.
Ive done a fresh install and defaulted graphics options but it still doesnt work and im getting bord of restarting my pc every time it crashes.
Any ideas?

1 Like

We’d first advise running through all the steps on our Support Site (I know you’ve done some steps already here). Usually though one of those will fix it.

If the issue persists, please upload your system files to pastebin.com and reply with the links to the files using the preformatted text option to encapsulate the links.

OK well after reinstalling windows (Yes i love this game that much) it was still happening but then i found the dam fix lol. Think either the newest Nvidia patch or the newest overwatch patch has caused this.
If its happening to anyone else all you need to do is completely turn off image sharpening and scaling in the nvidia control panel.
Oh well my pc is running a bit better with the reinstall of windows lol. What a head f…
Thanks

6 Likes

Wow that worked for me. Thanks a lot man!

1 Like

Im trying to do what you both did yto fix this issue but I had problems finding Image sharpening on NVIDIA Control panel.

Hey man. You just go to 3D settings and its the one at the very top.

Hey, I’ve never turned sharpening on, and this still doesn’t resolve the problem.

What about scaling is that off as well?

Thank you dude, I have been using an alternative method to fix this issue.

(Temporary Solution, I have to do it every time I run the game, roughly)
What I used to do is, Using the Nvidia Profile Inspector.

• Delete the Overwatch Profile.

What I did to permenately fix. In the 3d settings for Nvidia, I restored all Settings to factory.

And yes, turn off turn off image sharpening and scaling fixes the issue.

And now Overwatch working without that error. Thanks for your input my man!

1 Like

Hey, so is it the scaling within’ Sharpening or another one?

I still cant find this, if its not to much to ask for can you tell me what exactly Im looking for.

I can confirm that if you turn off Image Sharpening under Overwatch’s individual Program Settings within NVCP, this error resolves.

1 Like

idk who you are but i love u! lmao worked for me, THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

Lol yeah it was really doing my head in. Im glad it was at the top of the control panel lol. Lucky it was the first thing i did after reinstalling windows. Im wondering if its fixed in the newest patch.

Take care buddy

Hey i cant seem to find the scaling in the Nvidia control panel. Is it also in the 3D area? Thanks for the help mate