StarCraft II FPS problem

Hi all,
During the campaign in some missions during large battles the fps drops from 60 to 40-50 while the CPU usage is about 20-25%, and my GPU usage is about 60-70%. I have set the energy profile in windows (which in theory prevents core parking) and the power managament mode via Nvidia Control Panel to “Maximum performance”. Nothing has changed. I use the “High” profile (Antialias ON) in the game’s graphics settings). I think my rig would be able to run the game at constant 60 FPS (specs later in the message). Or am I wrong?
The game runs on a 7200rpm WD Caviar Black HDD (if it counts).
How can I force my CPU/GPU to work at higher load in order to prevent FPS drops?
Thanks,
My specs are:
CPU: i7-6700K @ 4GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980 @ 1316/1753MHz (core/memory)
hazazs

Make sure that verticle sync is turned off. Apparently that can cap the FPS at 60.

also check no dodgy programs are running in the background, or near windows clock. Sometimes proprietary gaming software like Alienware Command center affects gaming performance.

Make sure that your computer is in fact in battery mode. If your laptop runs low on battery it can enter a permanent mode, reducing performance even if the charger is plugged in and charging

Also research tricks you can do, where you edit the ‘variables.txt’ file.

But judging from your rig & setup, there is no reason why your machine is not bulldozing thru the game at top performance

I’ve been frustrated by this problem all day. I have a new high-spec laptop and could start a game at 80 fps and then, a few minutes in, it would drop to 1 fps. Finally, I figured out what was happening. My MSI laptop has a “system tuner” app called Dragon Center that runs in the background and tweaks (nerfs?) application performance and has hotkeys assigned to the different modes. Astonishingly, the modes are bound by default to the hotkeys ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ctrl-3. So… what happens when you start a new game? You hotkey your various units and as soon as I hit “ctrl-3” my laptop would be put in “meeting mode” (whatever that is) and my fps would plummet.

I’m sure this isn’t what is effecting everyone with this problem, but it sure hit me in a way that was very difficult to figure out. By the way, I recommend going into Dragon Center and deleting all those hotkeys. Who wants to change performance with a hotkey anyway?

1 Like