Prot paladin healing Debate ( plz be careful )

Greetings all,

I am reacting through the forums to a topic which is being discussed in Tettles video

There seems to be a Niche group of people who are miss using a situation.
And because of this I am afraid that, I as a utility Paladin tank will get punished by it.

Let me please explain my situation. I have played Disc priest before the changes for years. After the changes I was not able to play my class anymore. It was changed so much, that it was not my class to play anymore. To top it all off I have become ill with Fibromyalgia. So smashing buttons has become something impossible for me to do.

I have returned to Dragon flight, and I am enjoying the game for the 1st time in many years. I have been lost going from class to class. Or just quit the game for longer periods of time. As none from the time I played Disc found a play style that I could enjoy. As for me also the old Shadow priest had been changed to a void priest.

I like playing Altruistic and I enjoy tanking quite much. I enjoy being able to protect friends, provide utility and if something goes wrong to step in as a Tank. This is the reason why I play and why I enjoy protection paladin. Because I can do more then just Lay on hands, more then just a blessing, because if things go south for whatever reason I can throw in a few heals that saves my party from a wipe.

I do not like to play selfish, I do not want to play a Dps tank. I like being a utility tank that can do support healing. I do not want to main any other tank class. I just want to play my protection paladin, in a utility tank style that can also throw some saving heals.

Please I ask you to be careful, I ask you to be considerate. I have learned how to tank, learned how to play M+ I have learned raid tanking and raid leading in Lfr. I am looking forward to trying this in normal in the coming weeks.

For the 1st time, from the moment that both my classes have been taken away. Shadow priest to void priest - Disc priest from a managing heal style, to a dps’er. For the 1st time I am finally enjoy a class as a utility tank, supporting my unit.

If there is no other way, but certain changes need to be made. Then gives us some charges for heals that recharge during the dungeon. Like resurrection abilities, but faster. In this way a Prot Paladin cannot heal an entire Dungeon, but still will hold on to what makes a protection paladin, a protection paladin.

Please be considerate and please do not destroy my class again.

Thank you kindly for your time.

~ Lania

Thank you for your reply. As it seems the reply button is a bit bugged ( have to wait before someone else replies, but have not / cannot post reply ) I am just going to edit my post.

This here is as it should be: What the worlds best do should not affect me.
People should play how they want to play, and have fun how they want to have fun.
I also want to continue playing how I wanna play and have fun how I am having fun.

The problem with Disc priest was also at the top. People was then to raging about it. It was not playing as intended because of the shield Master / Mistress style of play. Thus the entire spec was changed. To something completely different. From buying time with your shields and tactically engaging with the environment, to a dps healer spec. Which demanded extremely high speeds in pressing your keybinds. It would be impossible for me even to attempt it.

So for me who invested many years into that spec, who raid healed with that spec. My class felt destroyed. Imo they could have added an additional spec if they really wanted to add a new something. Then everyone could be happy, seeing shields are now seemingly not a problem. As we have them on all kinds of gear.

So because of what happened , I am afraid it may happen again. That is why I ask please be considerate, please be careful. I do not want a situation in which suddenly is said; ‘well we have changed protection paladin to be a Warrior / Dk combo’.
Nothing against my warrior or Dk friends. Same if you enjoy playing Shadow or Disc as they are now :slight_smile:

Just I like playing, how I like to play and want to be able to keep playing it.

I hope with this, it is a little less weird for you.

Thank you for your time,

~ Lania

There is nothing being misused. Paladins have always had this ability, its just people never talented it because you lose quite a few good damage or mitigation options for it.

It’s become stronger now for reasons;

1. The talent gives you a chunky self heal too.
  2. Paladins are now tanky so they can spend the holy power on others.
  3. They generate HP quickly.

and most importantly

1. Paladins do good damage now, if they didn’t then none of the above would count for anything.

What you’re seeing is quite niche (no healer comps) and it requires exceptional play from all people involved (and its also helped by the dps generally having excellent healing CD’s).

In short, there is nothing a paladin can do now that it couldn’t do 3 months ago, it just does it all a bit better now and that adds up.
I’m pretty much maining one atm and they are massively strong. A bit of a nerf wouldn’t be too unhealthy.

I find your whole post a bit weird. What the worlds best do doesn’t affect you. Paladins have always been able to do the stuff you’re going on about, always. If they nerfed it they’d still be able to do it, just a little less well but more than well enough for your purposes.

This hits the nail, paladins right now are crazy strong compared to other tanks in M+. Add that up with the fact that stuff like AG, Vigil & VE is helping to keep the group topped off there’s very specific groups you need to be able to run a 4 dps comp (not to forgot that they also need to avoid pretty much all dmg they can which you won’t see in your normal pug groups).

I used to play prot healer in timewalking as it became so easy it was one of the only ways for me to have fun in it. I don’t think it’s really viable in challenging content.

Also to clarify when I play prot healer I’m not the tank so I have no need to use holy power for myself.

Is that how people see prot nowadays? This is after they removed holy power generation from Blessed Avenger’s shield. They were holy power machines in SL.

It’s not just how people see it, it’s a fact. They generate a ton of HP quickly. Especially with the Punishment talent that will give you 1 HP per interrupt you do since it spawns a Blessed Hammer.

What you say here, is how it should be. What the worlds best do should not affect me, or others who like playing the class.

Back in the day the problem designers had seen was at the top. So they changed the entire class into something else. Taking away the class people invested years in.

The same with Shadow priest, you vamperic embrace now heals one person. While the class was every dps you do, regardless of embrace. Heals the party you are in by small amounts.

Shadow: The class was themed around shadow and vampire stuff.
Disc: The class was themed around being a Master / Mistress of shields.

At the time there was a small amount of people raging over this. Like now there is a small amount of people raging over this.

Is it so weird that I am afraid? Afraid that designers will take this as a sign to do what they have done before? Change a class that it becomes completely Alien to what you have enjoyed playing for years?

I hope you can understand me better this way.

Also for those enjoying the Void priest and Disc priest as they are now. More power to you. Personally I think they just should have added new specs. Or twin trees that both play styles could have been kept playing.

I was in SBG+20 with prot paladin… healer and DPS both died on boss and I had only one bress… … … I ressed the DPS :rofl::rofl::rofl:

well there are not many bosses that need healers do begin with.
HoV you cannot do bosses without heal and AA probably neither but many other can even be done without having a prot pala

Zmok did academy with 5 retri paladins though.

A 19 but I have no doubt they could’ve done it on 20 as well.

Also did a 21 SBG with 5 ret palas:

well ret was known for being unkillable. they get a 100k shield everytime the spend holy power lol

anyways was nerfed to the ground as far as i recall

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.