Suggestions for Horrific Visions

Alright, I’ve been playing horrific visions on two characters for now,

As an outlaw/assassin rogue and as a fury warrior and I’ve been really liking them, Blizzard did well with these and I feel like they could be the next big thing like M+ so I’ll try and give some feedback and suggestions on them.

The first thing I’ll want to address is time

Time is important in horrific visions, but it’s not the timer that I want to address, rather the time allotted for the vision itself.

They feel too short, way too short and in such this makes their design limited and for them to not be absurd blizzard will have to create over simplified mobs and bosses with low health, I usually blast most bosses before they do anything threatening with their abilities with one mask on.

I think blizzard should make it so that the sanity is at 2500 and designs the visions accordingly, with increased mob / boss health and more complex mobs to allow player skill to shine rather than which class has the most burst and mobility and also makes tackling the things feel more thought out and fun.

The second thing I want to address is companions and spec representation

Atm, tanks and healers have a huge disadvantage in horrific visions, and it’s super bad if you’re a solo player or want to do it solo.

I think the introduction of companions in solo play would make the visions a lot more fun, especially if the companions were customizable, and upgradable. using corrupted mementos to buy upgrades like health, damage, talents ( kinda like the classic talent tree? ) would be a cool thing.

Can introduce followers with class / spec and levels and the higher the level they get the more abilities the get ( like Nazjatar companions )

Can even go more crazy and let there be special items for followers with rarity from uncommon to legendary that drop from horrific visions that give followers cool stuff.

I think 2 followers would be amazing, so tanks can take a healer and a dps, a healer can take a tank and a dps, etc so that these can make up for the things they lack, maybe a healer wants two dps or a tank wants two dps, maybe a dps player wants 2 healers? a dps wants 2 other dps, would make for interesting choices and dynamics.

I also think the followers could make use of the island expedition AI and the quest npc AI we see in many quests where they dodge mechanics and behave accordingly, it would be really cool.

The third thing I’ll want to address is effort vs difficulty vs rewards

Horrific visions atm feel like they reward too little for their efforts at the early stages and just about right at the maximum difficulty ( 470 for 5 masks full clear ), and so I feel like the earlier stages should be bumped abit item level wise.

As for the difficulty, I feel like the difficulty is abit too low and stems from the randomness rather than complexity, most mobs have one or two abilities and most of these abilities are bland.

I think the difficulty should be shifted abit more towards player control, as in it’s less from RNG and more from how good the player reacts to it, to give an example :-

More swirlies, more dodge this, interrupt important spell, LoS etc and less dodge x ability but too bad you’re forced to run straight forward, or if you get a bad timing for void circle you’re dead unless you pop an immunity.

I feel more complex mechanics like do X task or do that should be in place, it would be cool if the bosses felt more like raid bosses, ofc this would make it take more time to defeat them which is why I suggested that blizzard makes the horrific visions longer

I also feel like there is not enough difficulty levels, I mean I know that 5 masks full clear is super hard, but right now I’m almost doing full clear with one mask on, in a severely unoptimized character with no good Azerite traits and corruptions… I expecting one or two months before I start doing 5 masks full clears, and then visions would end up easy and uninteresting.

I think there should be much more with rewards that scale accordingly with the maximum horrific vision difficulty rewarding a 485 item piece a weak, and this difficulty should be much harder than a mythic raid and only those truly insanely dedicated should be able to do it.

This would give people something to strive for, and the feeling of always being able to progress!

The fourth thing I would like to talk about is the vision design itself

Atm I feel like the visions are bare bones, they’re basically clear 4 areas then go for boss, and you can apply affixes to make doing so harder.

I think there should be much more than that, just like the potions, hidden buffs and other things that exist in the vision I think there should be more stuff like that.

Trap areas, rare mobs, risk-reward, secondary objectives, secret objectives, riddles, and many other things that can be added to make visions more flavorful.

I can think of many cool things that would make the visions more interesting to me.

For example, what if there was a mob with the same idea of the fel reaver, huge aggro radius, has true vision and you WANT to stay the hell away from them.

There can be secret steps players can do to defeat that mob and get a handsome reward, ( what if you could ride the mob and use it for 2 minutes? ) ( gain a stack of the sanity restoration orb ? ) etc.

What if you could free trapped/prisoned/locked in a fight mobs and they’ll become your followers for the rest of the horrific vision?

What if there was various lootable usables? throw a rock to distract? wear this cape of powerful stealth ( ignores true sight ? ) shoot a rocket that can damage both you and the enemy? setup a healing station? a one time use aviana’s wings

What if there was optional steps to each objective in the areas? for example, instead of killing misha, you could kite her to a doctor, this doctor will heal misha and this will cause misha to become a follower for the rest of the vision.

That’s all, I’ve been loving visions, and I want more of it… I honestly feel like it could be the next big thing for wow, a new progression mode!

18 Likes

Loving the detail here, thank you so much for sharing! :hugs:

13 Likes

I want visions to be easier. I don’t like them.

Also; farming 1 level of cloak per week is slow and boring. But since I don’t like visions I guess that’s fine.

I want to rush through one and just get it over asap. I don’t want to have to strategize about them; that’s not fun to me.

14 Likes

You mentioned that you dont want it to be about which class have the highest burst or mobility. Then you mentioned healers and tanks cannot do it solo, yet you wannt them to be harder. Ill suggest you to try it on a class thats not completely busted like fury rog or dh. (As usual another content made for melees).
They have to be tuned this way so even we mortals on mediocore classes like…any caster… should be able to solo it. imo. When i was so happy that after ive put so much effort and preparation to get it done on 3 chest first week on my shadow, then i went to some stream and saw a rogue just full clear it with one hand and monitor turned off i was kinda depressed.
I would like to see some content where rogues and dh would be the guys who made whiny topics on the forums.

Mage tower was better in this regard since it mas more designed around specific classes rather than just overall viability.
Some pets, followers or companion as you called it would be nice, but again it would just made rich ppl even richer.

Overall i like visions and i enjoy them. Its the best thing that came with 8.3. But class disparity and balance is again way too off.
I do believe that in time we all will be able to solo it for max reward but again some classes are heavily favoured and will get max reward for way less efort much sooner.

Also i realy love the idea of buffs potions shrines etc like nazja or timeless isle(but not random like expeditions so you can plan your route around it).

9 Likes

My feedback is that vision are fun…if you play a melee dps.

It is a nightmare to try a solo vision on my warlock almost every mechanic involves movement which screws over casters that has to cast, its just not fun as a caster.

And on top of it all it favors classes with strong aoe far to much.

7 Likes

I would scrap the “timed part”, I would prefer if sanity is something you lose if you sit abilities, don’t kick/cc mobs or just don’t execute mechanics properly.

That way you don’t screw people that can’t mass pull or caster/tanks as much.
And also, that way you can create even longer vision, only players that are good at executing things correctly can go in.

If you do them just for the cloak they are already easy, mob are super squishy.

What you find difficult in them?

I know that rogues are busted in those, but still… How far did u get? Afaik full clear takes usualy 15-20 minuts, thats without masks, idk what exactly they do ( more sanity loss for sure) but i imagine it way harder, but still… Usualy dungeon run lasts 30minuts give or take, 20min for solo content adventure seems about right to me… Ofc it will go lower with more gear and skill but still…

You are what’s wrong with this game lmao

8 Likes

While we’re at it, there’s one thing I would love but is not combat-related:
It would be amazing if there had been a “puzzle” game, like the Lucid Nightmare’s Labyrinth, where you don’t really have to fight anything but use your mind instead, solve various enigmas (could even be randomly generated like the Labyrinth). Could even be without a proper reward, just for fun.

THAT Labyrinth drove my crazy more than any vision could do, and it was so fun that I actually did it twice (maybe even a third time, can’t remember, just for the sake of it).

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I cleared it in 10 mins or even less for a full clear without masks.

Atm I’m trying it out with one mask on, however I have no good assassin Azerite gear and I have 2x mastery corruptions and mastery gear as an outlaw :joy:

I’m almost getting to a full clear with the mask on, I don’t really account time though, because I’m usually super immersed and focused.

Atm I’m just going in blind and doing my own thing, trying to experiment and stuff without trying to optimize or take the BiS routes, I feel like it’s more fun this way, especially since my back is already capped.

I do understand these sentiments and did elaborate on them, like I said I feel shifting the gameplay towards skill rather than burstiness and adding companions that would fill the roles you need if going solo would help and make things more interesting.

I am loving some of the ideas you have come up with :slight_smile:

Fantastic idea not only for tanks and healers but also for casters.

Forgetting classes/specs who do find the content easy, would this not be like a mythic+ for solo play? So after you have done full clears with all masks you can then go for the next difficulty? I can see the appeal, but I also then wonder if this would actually take over from Mythic+ for some, imagine not having to do that in a group. Flip side, it kind of negates any group play - I don’t know if I would like that either.

Again love the idea, but again will this not just become the game within wow that everyone plays rather than other content? I think it’s because the visions are new is the main reason a lot of people are enjoying them so much at the moment, but in the end I believe our socials selves will return to group play after the novelty has worn off :slight_smile: We have a long time until Shadowlands, I would love to see Blizzard incorporate some of your ideas :smiley:

1 Like

They are easier and less stressful if you do them in a group with people you know. Also more fun, I feel.

Keep in mind visions are limited, I think you can run 2-4 times a week. which is reasonable number and you can only get one max ilvl item from it a week, so I don’t think it will take much from M+ or raiding, it would be another cool activity you can take part in.

This is true, I was thinking more of the weekly mythic for chest, if the rewards were similar in visions, it could take away the need for this. For me I love the idea, but I know others will hate it :wink:

1 Like

I felt this initially, but then I combatted it by just wanting to do better than last time / represent what my class is capable of in these things. Failed a 3 mask solo, because I made a stupid mistake, and now I’m trying to min max vessels so I get one more shot to try it before it changes to stormwind next week. No more mistakes.

1 Like

This is the bit I love too, I have been running some of this solo and also a couple with friends and we don’t have to worry about the usual combination of tank, healer and 3 dps, I think this in the end is the biggest appeal for me :smiley:

My chars get rank 5 then I stop.

Having npcs in them would be amazing.

Yes, but u play rogue, one of best classes for that, which i mentioned before. Now imagine playing caster, that cant stealth, drop combat, nor pull half of area… Blizz should make things balanced around everything not around few specs…

But cg on full clears and GL with masks bro.

20 minutes as shadow, probably. All I know for sure is for me it was 10 minutes from pulling rexxar to clearing spirits + wisdom and pulling thrall with 3 masks.

Thats what im talking about, 20minut is perfectly fine for solo content imo…