Character pronouns

I don’t know where to put this so it’s going here.

I am non-binary, and I prefer to go by they/them pronouns, but often this isn’t possible as it is unsafe for me to publicly come out.

When I was levelling my Dwarf Shaman in Drustvar earlier today, and one of the quest NPCs referred to my character as ‘they’. This made me so inordinately happy that I felt like I had to let Blizzard know to say thank you.

I know that it wasn’t a deliberate thing, but seriously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Blizzard. It may only seem like a little thing, but it’s made a lot of difference to me. So thank you.

26 Likes

Me be thinkin’ it very well done. Very subtle, many won’t be seein’ it.

10 Likes

Everybody is androgynous in wowland, sometimes people tell me their gender in-game but generally it doesn’t make a slight difference!

Champion!

2 Likes

Champion is my pronoun IRL.

It is quite the confidence booster.

9 Likes

I’m slightly confused by the ‘this made us’ thing, because I don’t think I wrote that, but hey.
I put this up because I wanted a little bit more positivity on here, and a lot of people ‘might not agree’ with how I present myself but frankly I don’t care. If you like it, then I’m glad to have added a little bit of positivity into your day

8 Likes

This is probably a troll, but if you are serious then I’m glad it made you happy.

3 Likes

Wow dudes… Even if you don’t agree with the idea of being “non-binary” there’s no need to come into the thread just to accuse someone of being mentally ill.

Let’s all be friendly and share in the love we have for this game.
Or complain together about how Blizz is ruining it, that seems popular too.

13 Likes

You’re incredibly optimistic, but yes, more positive threads are a good thing. There’s a lot to like in the game, too few people focusing on that.

5 Likes

I am being totally serious. I don’t really see why someone would say they’re non-binary to be a troll, but hey ho

6 Likes

It’s extremely difficult to change a habit of a lifetime, especially when it was drummed into people as children and reinforced by peers throughout their lives. I’m not a boomer, incidentally, but I am old enough to realise they deserve a sobriquet a lot better than that.

I’d like people to use the pronouns ‘His Royal Majesty’ or ‘The One True King’ when referring to me.

9 Likes

I can’t see why that be a ban.
I’m having trouble with the language, not the person.

When one uses they/them… it just sounds confusing and I think a new pronoun is in order.

1 Like

And im happy that this tread is about “something cool happened to me in a game” and not “we need to put PC stuff into the game for no aperent reason”.

2 Likes

I am happy that Kelthuzad called me an Interloper. I identify as Interloper.

9 Likes

Also im not 100% sure about this but i dont remember NPCs actually using gender pronouns when adresing our characters, i think they have treated us as gender neutral ever since vanilla.

1 Like

Was the same for me, but you do get used to it. It’s just about familiarising yourself with the language.

3 Likes

Wow dudes… Even if you don’t agree with the idea of being “non-binary” there’s no need to come into the thread just to accuse someone of being mentally ill.

Because it’s true?
Not to flame here, but it’s as simple as that.
Evolution made almost everything in two genders for a reason.
Thinking you’re outside of that concept is against nature.
Therefore it’s a mental illness.
If someone was to tell you he sees an imaginary person, you’d tell him mentally ill.
Same goes for any additional gender that’s not male/female.

23 Likes

When you see a bag forgotten in public, you’d think ‘I hope the owner comes and gets their bag soon’. Perfectly grammatically correct, and is a use of singular they/them pronouns. If you don’t like it then that’s fine, but it’s perfectly grammatically correct to use them.

4 Likes

I always use “Google Translate” to hear how some names are pronounsed :smiley: There is a lil button on bottom to listen the name/word in some female comp voice.

The only time where plural term is used to single person was in case of royalty, because royalty was representing a nation.