WoWCast Developer Chat: All About Aberrus

WoWCast Developer Chat: All About Aberrus

Watch the latest episode of WoWCast with World of Warcraft Principal Artist Steve Crow and Lead Encounter Designer Michael Nuthals, hosted by Community Manager Bethany Stout.

View Full Article

1 Like

Can we get the designer’s input if/when/how they’re planning to preserve the gameplay aspect of encounters that are negated by addons?
I can only imagine the dev’s disappointment when he saw the dreadlords “among us” minigame trivialized by a weakaura. I’m guessing they hoped players would get creative and find an interactive, engaging strategy like calling out the player they see as dreadlord on comms simultaneously, or moving to them in melee range and killing whoever’s surrounded…
Do the devs feel addons are preventing them from creating more unique and interactive boss concepts, or would such encounters be too hard to balance so instead they lean towards throughput checks and dodging circles?

It gets disabled. Simple as. Thats what happened to the weakaura that was negating the mechanic.

They said previously that it doesnt stop them. Plus if an addon does too much they disable it.

It’s not that simple. I heard they’re planning to hide some debuffs from the combat log in order to break for example the spread pattern indicator on echo of neltharion mythic.
First problem is this won’t break the aura as long as it can detect your own debuff it can communicate via chat/channels with other player’s auras. (and even then, there’s several workarounds I can imagine).
Second, without such auras people can’t reliably handle mechanics where certain random players must spread out evenly within a limited timeframe. They can do it maybe 4/5 times, but we don’t share a consciousness and in progression there’s no room for “ups, sorry we both ran to the same corner” or something.

This isn’t a skill issue either considering every top guild relies on it.

And while I appreciate your response, my question was directed to the devs.

I mean they can break that one thats fine. People would still ultimately go with a list however. The map indicator being gone would be the least concern.

I mean on echo its relatively simple. The melee target always goes to the same spot anyway. The other 4 just go down the list and then go to their designated spot. The Map in P3 is not needed either and it would be handled like the positioning on Sylvanas P3 instead.

I mean they are just going to repeat what they said last time. You know how they are

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.