FPS So low in raids

Hi everyone I’m having an issue with nearly unplayable frame rates in raids. I’m struggling to go over 30fps in raids yet in capital cities I’m usually sitting at around 60-65 and in the world it’s generally over 120fps.

I understand there’s the fact that the games engine is dated and poorly optimised but I still expect to be able to raid with my rig.

Is there any suggestions? My hardware is as follows

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
16GB RAM

Wow is a CPU intensive game . Improve your CPU .
I will at least put ryzen 7 2700 in that configuration

You must have outdated addons, once you update them or replace them the issue will go away. That was my problem at least reaching me even to 1 fps or 0 in mythrax.

Im still gaming perfectly fine with an FX 8350 and a 1060.

1 Like

My experience was like that for a while and then I went to task manager and seen my disk space was 100%!
Once I found a solution for that, my FPS problem went away.

Raid preformance will be lower than open world. In graphics settings there’s a raid and dungeon option. Try using that and setting it one or two lower. Preformance is better than graphics in raid anyhow.

2 Likes

Well exactly this, dont know how good you guys are spotting everything and everyone around you doing your rotations managing your cds and doing mechanics as well…But me as a healer having to look at all the things i have to be looking, even if graphics settings are 5 or 10 im still not gonna spot the difference i think xD

By the way, im having my raid and battleground settings at 6 with minimal shadow quality. Works like a charm in my outdated system.

Please ignore anyone telling you your hardware isn’t up to it. On paper it’s completely fine.

You may have driver issues. Check device manager for any yellow ! marks, make sure you’ve downloaded proper nvidia drivers, motherboard drivers, etc.

Also don’t be too ambitious with your graphics settings. Shadows is a biggie; if that’s quite high, drop it and watch your fps skyrocket. Your 1660 is decent, but not amazing.

I’m sorry, but this advice is just wrong.

2600 is a very competent CPU and more than WoW needs. Those extra 2 cores you are recommending will do absolutely nothing.

3 Likes

I’m on a Ryzen 5 too and it’s been laggy for the last few days. Log into the card software and check if you have the recent driver update. That seems to have resolved it for me. As Alewin said above, more than good for Wow.

As a consensus, is ElvUI very hindering on FPS? I’ve heard it was and I use that. I’m not at my pc to check.

My drivers are updated for everything hardware related.

I dont know about elvui buddy never used it myself but a friend use it without any problems at all, i just use: Shadowed unit frames/vuhdo(healing)/DBM/TellmeWhen/Weakauras/Details/MoveAnything/GTFO

Are ALL your addons updated, if you check your list does it mention OUT OF DATE to any of your addons? That can be a problem if it is

If you show us utilization of cpu cores in your task manager that would help us a little.

I don’t actively monitor my fps, but I use an nvidia 1060 6gb, 8700k @ 5ghz, and Elv UI.

Why don’t I monitor my fps? Because it has never felt low. Maybe that’s my old eyes not being able to tell 30 fps from 60, but the above hardware is quite adequate for that task.

I’ve said this above already but I’ll repeat it; the Ryzen 2600 is perfectly adequate CPU for WoW at its shiniest. The game threads better than it used to, but it will not max out the 2700’s 8 cores and 16 threads, especially with the OP’s 1660 graphics card. I have a hard time getting Cities Skylines to eat all my 6c/12t and that game is actually designed to use as many CPU cores as are available. WoW does not need that kind of processor power at all.

But for checksies, please could you check your CPU usage during a raid? If you’re genuinely running over 75% then maybe the OP would indeed benefit. I really don’t think you will be, but it would be interesting to know.

Disclaimer: I haven’t noticed discussion about screen resolution. Rules may change if the OP turns out to be at 4k. All my experience is based on 1080p and 1440p.

I don’t need to check, I can tell you now I think last time I checked it was something like 14% ha.

Then we have established that the OP has absolutely no reason to upgrade their 2600. Glad to have it confirmed :wink:

1 Like

For a game like WoW 2600 is god. Yes alot better CPU’s out there but still as ive said before im still playing WoW in an FX 8350 PERFECTLY fine and its almost the half of 2600 lol

I know you’re agreeing with me, but I’m not even sure this is true now. We recently got a threading update that got us away from the old “single core clockspeed is king” meta that we had for ever … it may well be that a stock 2600 is completely on par with my 8700k @ 5ghz. And that may well be on par with a 2700X overclocked.

I’d have to check benchmarks to get the exact percentages, but I am pretty darn sure that a 2600 is absolutely not a bottleneck (unless maybe at 4k resolution).

As ive said, im gaming with an FX-8350 pefectly fine. Try a comparison of my cpu with your cpu and you will understand what i mean. The chip is amazing

I strongly suspect you’re right; which is why I’d argue that there actually isn’t anything ‘better’ than the Ryzen 2600 in WoW terms :slight_smile: