FPS So low in raids

Did you update all your addons as suggested? I use twitch set to invisible to update them.

Even the memory frequency will not make a great deal in performance.

There is an amazing video somewhere on youtube testing the same system with a bunch of different ramspeeds, i was laughing my heart out on how low importance they have on the total output.

Maybe I’m thinking of first gen Ryzen. I do remember the hoo-hah back when it first released and people were putting 2100mhz vs 3200mhz, and how important it was to find Samsung b-die memory chips to give yourself the best chance at running them at full speed.

Intel, almost no difference, but AMD Ryzen was almost linear scaling with memory speed - particularly in heavily threaded loads. Something to do with the ‘infinity fabric’ that connects each CPU core to the others running at ram frequency, so the faster your memory, the better the CPUs talked to each other.

Kind of a design flaw, tbh, possibly rectified in the 2000 series.

I cant really go search it out,but im pretty sure this video was on a first gen ryzen not the new ones.

Now i just noticed we talk in 2 different threats for 2 different subjects LOL

May Xuen The white tiger tear down your enemies
May chi ji the red crane heal your wounds in battle
May Niuzao the black ox protect you from lethal blows

May the mists protect you my friend!

1 Like

If you get past the ‘cartoony’ artstyle it’s a very data intensive game when in combat.

This will probably be more apparent to melee but when 20 (a raid for example) people are shooting off their abilities it makes for a visual firework hell. That’s a lot of processing.

You also have all that data for 20 people plus the boss going around.

If you have addons like Skada then there’s even more data.

All MMORPGs suffer from low frame rates.

I am using a self built 2012 PC with a 7+ yr old CPU with other upgrades, Win 7 64 Bit, i5-3570k DDR3 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Strix (Anymore on gpu my cpu would just bottleneck above 10%), all fan cooled with 5+ case fans and 2 cpu fans, never have high temps, cpu never goes above 50% usage 99% of the time. Picked a good motherboard so managed to get PCIE 3.0 and upgraded from a GTX 670 2GB to what I have now, plus added more storage, SSD’s etc etc etc.

I have no issues with fps in raids, I tank also so normally got loads going on around me and on screen.

I am going to go with settings, I run everything maxed most of the time but one or two things turned off or down a notch can save you 10-20 fps easy and you will not notice any decrease in quality.

DX11, MSAA None, FXAA High, Multisample alpha test enabled, tripple buffering enabled, Resample none, physics interactions player only.

1920x1080, resolution scale just depends on what your prefer, I prefer just below half so everything is highly visible rather than minute but more refined. V-Sync Enabled, environment I just put down to 7 no difference noticed from 10, shadows high, texture res high, 16x anti, projected textures enabled, shadows high, liquid good, sun high, partical density high, SSAO high, depth effects high, lighting high, outline mode high.

The only other things I can think of for you, some games not sure with wow do not like or fully utilize more than 3-4 cores, they start to see performance issues with more than 4 cores, not all games are optimized for more than 4 cores.

Also check to see what else is zapping your cpu, look at all tasks using CPU and identify them one by one, startup programs EVERYTHING, if anything is using more than 5-10% cpu while your playing wow besides wow, something is very wrong, also check memory usage for all programs active, wow should only be using around 4GB RAM and your OS should be roughly the same.

Other than that check your hardware temps, poor cooling, dust, cleaning can cause / force your cpu / gpu to work harder is less efficient, can cause damage to your hardware and eventually kill your PC.

Last thing, obvious but check for malware etc etc etc. check for bad registries, clean temp files, the usual maintenance stuff especially if you have not done it for a long time.

Hey Drysta,

I would start from having a look into this article here and take the troubleshooting steps that it mentions there.

If you continue to have issues, I would suggest that you contact our tech support!

Have you tried a raid with 0 addons loaded? Try going into LFR with no addons loaded and see if your FPS plummets still. Willing to bet it’s some form of out-dated addon.

1 Like

Not guaranteeing it, but it may be something to do without DBM, my RAM is over 3000mhz which was perfect for the 2600. Upon disabling DBM I seemed to be sat at around 60fps in Crucible. Which is great compared to the 15 I had prior. I will try and reinstall it and see if anything changes.

Your ram speed has nothing to do with the FPS drops you’re having. It’s most likely your addons. Try to load the game with no addons as someone mentioned above. Also there are some specific graphic settings that reduce the load on your cpu. You can try lowering them too.

I run WoW on this chip, max everything, just fine.
I have it water-cooled, soft clocked to 3850MHz and paired with some decent DDR4-3200 RAM though which makes a huge difference.
Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MoBo so the CPU “talks” the correct “dialect” to your RAM. In my experience this is a common cause of problems.
:ideograph_advantage:

Yeah, I’m on board the addons train as well. I have seen some seriously unexpected interaction effects.

It is at least worth trying going in to LFR with no addons to see the difference.

After that, resetting your UI is worth a shot.

You should also help people help you by giving your graphics settings, CPU% and GPU% in and out of raids. You can use HWMonitor to get them easily.

If you’re using something like ELVUI with some other fancy interface addons and presets, then you can expect big impact on FPS. Also some DPS meter addons are known to eat alot during start of a fight, or in a big raid group. For me recount has been horrible and same goes for skada. Currently using details and it has minimal impact on perfomance.

When BOD Patch hit I remember that the addon Raider io caused a lot of lagg in raids when you started to be over 20 people

Havent thought about this since i upgraded my PC so im not sure if its actual anymore

Yep, 3000mhz memory is just fine. Worth checking :slight_smile:

DBM is an interesting thought. It gets proactively stroppy if it’s outdated, but with all the releases it gets it’s possible there was a bad push. In fact the last update was just 12 hours ago, so it’s entirely possible there was a temporary problem with a minor issue. Or that something about Crucible is giving it jip.

Glad you’ve found an angle of attack at least :slight_smile:

Had major issues with DBM recently because my version wasn’t up to date…I don’t really use it very much.

updated it and still had to reset my pc to get rid of the effects in game…I had reset it before hand it was fine for a little while but yeah addons can cause major drama.

As to hardware, Ryzen 5 is fine no issues. Memory speeds can gain or lose performance and it’s more noticeable in some applications over others but 3000mhz is fine.
Ignore any and all comments regarding the hardware, if there was a memory fault you would know about it due to constant system crashes but doesn’t require upgrading and neither does the cpu.

1 Like

ever since i updated my addons for whatever the last patch was, i get a lot of choppiness in some parts of BoD.
I keep them updated but but the problem keeps coming back. DBM in combination with some of the other addons I use might be messing things up, but I’m too lazy to pinpoint the exact culprit addon and just hope they’ll fix themselves with future updates.

Is the game installed on an SSD? If not it might be the reason of the choppyness. Try to clear your cache and see if that helps. Otherwise I would recommend you to uninstall all “old” addons. You can experiment yourself and disable different addons to see if they have any impact.

1 Like

Not, not an SSD. good point about the cache, haven’t cleared that in a long while, thanks for reminding me!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.