Toxic Bite backfires

So, I collected the 4 new Children’s Week pets today and thought Scaley, with its rip+toxic bite combo and a free swap (fade), stood out as the one with some potential so I was very eager to queue up and try it out together with a maul and a blood in the water pet.

I started carrying out my master plan, applying the DoT and the damage boost, but as it turned out, the Toxic Bite ability boosted my opponent’s DoT’s as well! And I was up against a Wyrmy, so he had put 2 on me! Poor Scaley did not last long, with corrosion+poision ticking for like 600 hp!

Approach with caution!

That sounds like a bug. Have you confirmed? Worth reporting if it is!

This interaction has worked like this since Toxic Bite was introduced. It effects both sides resulting in the dots of the caster and target being buffed.
I actually thought that this was common knowledge as there is a pve encounter with the mechanics.

1 Like

Indeed.
Looked it up far and wide, made some wrong assumptions aswell, but in the end, I’d phrase it that way:
“causes damage over time, both suffered and dealt, to deal 7 more damage”.
A couple of other notes:

1. What is defined as damage over time (including this ability’s purpose) is a specific mechanic best recognised by dealing half of damage to aquatics and unavoidability by means of evasion or bubble/barrier. Barring the actual DoTs, most of thorn effects and Sticky Grenade qualify there, while %-based effects and frontline offenders (Death and Decay, Corrupted Ground and Immolation) are excluded.
  2. I’ve had another kind of glitch happen to my non-elemental Scorched Earth caster who has received it. One could expect the damage, albeit pumped up, would remain equal on both sides, but my pet was hurt for even more. Can’t speak of the exact values, though.
1 Like

Hello,

The ability does not mention that the effect is for the target only, it will increase all DoT effects for 5 rounds.

Thank you for confirming, Vossprey. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t actually do what you’re describing because if I run Toxic Bite and Great Sting it only affects the single pet with the debuff on? Not all dot effects then?
Active pet? But what happens if the pet with the debuff swaps to the back line?
Still working as intended? Let us know when it’s fixed.

Edit. So after some checking this ability works like a dot version of Rabid Strike but it increases the dot damage done to and done by the debuffed pet by the fixed amount. Pretty difficult to believe this is working as intended whilst aoe dot mechanics exist.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.