Nazjatar crab mount - time gated

To get the Crab mount in Nazjatar you need to do the meta achiev there. And part of that meta achiev, is an achiev that takes 13 weeks to complete. “Periodic Destruction” is it called.

Blizzard; Why force us to wait 3 months to get this? Its just stupied. Its is just another way for you to time gate us. Time gating something to 3 months is too long.
Pls change this, everyone will be grateful.

2 Likes

Hey Tavea,

I see your point there, but I kind of have to disagree on this.

Of course, you can say that I’m a bit biased on this, but hear me out! There are plenty of things in the game, that require an amount of effort. The way I think of it, is if something is easy to get, then it will require time. On the other hand if something is hard to get, you might be able to get it sooner.

Getting this mount is not particularly difficult, it requires you to defeat an elite NPC, once a week. That is something that you should be able to easily get out of the way with minimal effort. Hence, at least in my view, the increased time that it requires.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying that the above is the way every mount or pet or toy drop is designed, that is just my take on this!

I’m happy to hear your and everyone else’s thoughts on this matter though! Please discuss!

8 Likes

That’s is by far the stupidest excuse for time gating I have ever heard.

You didn’t explain why it has to be that way. Why can’t player play at his/her own pace, why does time gating have to be there?

The only explanation for such mechanics is you want to stretch subscription for as long as possible. At least please try to be honest about it, don’t write nonsense about effort. I’m sure most players would love if something took effort. But arbitrary time limitations aren’t appealing to anyone.

11 Likes

He wasn’t trying to give an excuse he was giving an opinion, silly.

You didn’t explain why it has to be that way. Why can’t player play at his/her own pace, why does time gating have to be there?

He’s not in the position to explain the decisions behind it.

The only explanation for such mechanics is you want to stretch subscription for as long as possible.

That’s your opinion and an assumption on your part.

At least please try to be honest about it, don’t write nonsense about effort. I’m sure most players would love if something took effort. But arbitrary time limitations aren’t appealing to anyone.

He was honest and actually gave a pretty reasonable explanation to what might be the reasons for gating it, you just don’t agree with him and due to absence of a counter argument you say it’s nonsense but it really isn’t.

4 Likes

This is more stupid argument. Someone who wants to cancel subscription won’t care about 1 mount.

Timegating for cosmetic rewards is okay. Thats where the timegating SHOULD be used. Timegating is bad when it affects gameplay.

4 Likes

I wish the Mechagon Mecha-Done achievement was timegated like this one. The most eregrious point about it is having to collect every single blueprint, which is burried under multiple layers of rng.

For example: Blueprint: Utility Mechanoclaw. It have a low chance of dropping from Caustic Mechaslime, that is locked behind drillrig CC73 with a low chance to drop. However CC73 is the -least- spawning of all the drillrig events. After spending far too many hours in Mechagon I saw it once late last night, I had almost given up on getting it for the day. All the others had been up a seriously lot of times. And it keeps happening that CC73 almost never spawns, its not the first time. Then we have the need for drill rigs to be up for even to be able to hit it up.

Then theres the rustbolt paragon supplies crate which also contains multiple blueprints, which you may never see if you are truly unlucky.
And at last alts cannot help with it, as the Mecha-Done and sub-achs are personal. This is why im despairing over it, give me timegated any day over -this!-

1 Like

Meh, anyone who believes 8.2 was meant to be completed in under a month are being silly.

I’d understand the followers to 30 (all 3 of them) but this one? lmao naw, not that bad.
Also cosmetics is the only time gate I can agree with.

2 Likes

Was there this much kickback when “What a Long, Strange Trip it’s Been” gave the violet proto drake & 310% flying back during Wrath etc.?

That takes a full year to get yet isn’t particularly hard. Crab mount time is fine in my opinion.

Would it be nicer to have it sooner than 13 weeks minimum? Sure, But if they let you have it after a week or two then people would be complaining that there is nothing left to do this patch already. This way you have a reason to keep playing and work towards something you want instead of being handed it instantly like most things these days.

Just my opinion and I can understand others feel the opposite of me but they’ve got it fine here imo.

3 Likes

Thats the most (excuse me) stupied thing i’ve ever read.

There are no reason for this to take 13 weeks other than time gateing us. Its the only reason its designed that way and you know it.

Yeah, everyone has thier opinion but there must be some sort of sense to it.

1 Like

But violet proto drake was not time gated. Events are not time gating, that’s limited availability time events. When event is up you could do it as fast or slow as you wanted. It made sense.

This was time gated for sake of time gating, nothing else.

3 Likes

You were still time gated waiting for each event to appear to get the events meta just like you’re time gated waiting to get this particular achievement and the meta regardless of how fast/slow you could complete said event(s).

2 Likes

Be happy that is only 3 months.
The “Veteran Nany” achievment is 3 years time-gated…

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand what time gating is. Time gating is intentionally delaying progress by limiting daily/weekly progress.

Seasonal events are not time gating. That’s limited time availability events. Completely different concept.

2 Likes

Like Binksi says, This is time gated for the sake of time gating, nothing else.

The violet proto drake made sense. You got it after completing the seasonal events. It was a reward for doing all that.

This is intentional time gating by blizzard. There are no other reason for this to take 13 weeks.

2 Likes

I think I can get Shadowmourne in 3 months or other legendary weapons from previous expansion.

It’s just a ordinary mount which hardly people gonna use - may be for collection only or for achivement.

Effort … No wait it’s requires legendory effort.

To be honest you guys putting way unnecessary stuff with time gating. Also many things like mounts are way overpriced with gold - feels like people have to buy token for gold or do some boosting (Almost like F2P games).

My 2 cents.

Edit - can someone do math and tell us how many days it will requires to get all mounts, mog and toys/pet from Argent tournament dailies. Sometimes such things feels like no brainers decision in games. (Without alts)

2 Likes

I wish I could grind this indefinitely until I get it without the stupid time gate, it wasn’t like this in classic! Ummm, except the hydraxian waterlords grind is also time gated, just to use one example. Only we call it the weekly reset. Or the every single daily quest since the dawn of time, with the time gate every morning. Or the multiple part achievements that require you to visit the same raid every reset to do something else, like dragonsoul.

Yeah, they put way unnessessary stuff with time gating. And then there is the overpriced mounts too, 72k for a reskined gryphon… wtf?!

The way “Periodic Destruction” is designed, serves no other purpose than time gating.

Blizzard; Stop this nonsense and hot fix this achiev to not take 13 weeks to complete. Getting the acheiv is not hard, but it takes time, and pple who invest alot of time now to get it should not get gated behind this.

3 Likes

Selling space!

Any further thoughts on this Blizzard? Or just silence?