Iron Man soloing Dungeons/Raids

Which Dungeons/Raids can be deadly even if you are severly overleveled?

I mean stuff that can kill you even if you have crazy high HP for the place. Instant death mechanics like for example:

• Spine of Deathwing - falling from the spine

The snails in Throne of Thunder can still one shot you at 120 - and the wind can still blow you off the bridges on the way to the second boss. Everything else is just a quick farm in there though.

Final boss in the Vault of the Wardens can be a pain - kicks you off platform or becomes unkillable - very doable once you know how for your class - but still a pain

I think the Spine of Deathwing can still be challenging - its all about good timing and patience

In addition to the previously mentioned ones:

• The Butcher in Mythic Highmaul still instant kills you with 4 stacks, which doesn’t take too long, so even if you are level 120 with low iLevel, this is not easy.
  • The first boss of HFC on Mythic, although I think they nerfed it in 8.2, but still
  • There is a boss in Heart of Fear which can trap you in amber with absolutely no way to remove it (I had to log out, log in with some other character, with, then relog just to get out). If you don’t kill the amber trapper adds in time, you can be screwed.
  • The Lich King on heroic can knock you down in the first phase. Probably not an issue at level 120 because you one-shot him, but around level 100 you still have to watch out
  • Spoils of Pandaria from Siege of Orgrimmar gives you a time limit, and since the majority of your effort is’t damage, but actually going around and opening the boxes, it can still be somewhat challenging until you know exactly what to do

If you’re boosting a friend or whatever, Gorefiend Mythic (HFC) can’t be done in 2 people yet I believe.

This is indeed true. Technically, if two people have ridiculous burst dps, it can be done, but otherwise, the timer before he eats you and then promptly resets is too short to kill him.

Being thrown off his Spine because I couldn’t dance side to side fast enough, done that.

Yup been eaten by them.

Only in a group back in Legion, not had it happen solo.

Not been there in a while, that’s going on the list for the weekend.

This was made easier to solo recently yeah, shouldn’t be nearly as punishing :smiley:

Amber-Shaper Un’sok, yup been trapped by him solo before too.

Icy platform punt, it’s why you stand with your back to the stairs :wink:

Solo this one is a race between getting the boxes opened in time and mass nuking all the adds that spawn before you have to jump sides. Tricky, doable sure but tricky. So much easier with a friend.

6 Likes

i’m sad that razorgore (first bwl boss) is no more on the list !

Instructor Chillheart in Scholomance killed my lvl 115 when I was running around naked in that dungeon.

1 Like

The one i have the most fond memories of was Reliquary of Souls in Black Temple. Not current anymore as you can pretty much one-hit it today, but back in MoP i went there as a warrior with the “Second Wind” talent and had to ALT+F4 the game. The boss locked me down in perma-CC but thanks to the talent i could not die. Fun times.

• Hounds in Scarlets Halls, if you just move thru them, they will kill you.

• Mini boss in Blackrock Depths, after you use key and unlock a portrait. You can find out this boss wandering around, if you get traped he can oneshot you.

• Grimrail Depot, the train is hardcore for someone who dunno how to walk.

• Darkheart Thicket, if you let your self get caught in dream.

Yeah, this one was weird when running HFC Mythic with my sister. On normal and heroic he eats one person, and it doesn’t happen when you are solo. On Mythic he eats TWO people, but the condition of it not happening is still only if you are solo. If you have 2 people he eats both of you, reseting the fight.

What we did is that one of us just solo’d the boss while the other one was waiting outside the room on the ground floor. Thankfully still both of us could loot Gorefiend.

This was kind of a crazy time, because the first boss could only be done with 2 ppl, but Gorefiend only with 1.

Gorefiend either requires only 1 player, or 2 players with high dps or trick with tagging him with one player and dying (jump to the abyss in the back) while second player play tank’n’spank.

I guess this is possible… but much more of a headache than one person just waiting outside :smiley:

Serpent Shrine Caverns - Elevator Boss
Elevator… i can make it… no… down i gooooooooooooooooo…

1 Like

I’ve been going through Mists / Warlords on a level 112 Rogue (I know, of all the levels) and on a 110 Paladin so I will add another couple of things to what has been said thus far.

Mists of Pandaria:

Throne of Thunder

• The Hidden Fogs (to the sides at Durumu) when they jump on the platform have a surprising knockback so something to be careful of if they act a bit weird
  • Something (still trying to determine for sure) got me during Ra-Den, the log said Unstable Vita but didn’t attribute anything specific to it so not fully sure just yet
  • Falling off of platforms deserves another mention of course, there are a good few of them

Siege of Orgrimmar

• If you run too far ahead around Galakras the snipers will get you
  • Spoils of Pandaria can be a problem, I saw a post a while ago saying slow and steady, do two or three boxes at a time, kill them, keep going to fill the bar, pull the lever, wait a couple of seconds, use the hook and repeat, it has been fine for me thus far
  • On Paragons of the Klaxxi I would focus on Kaz’Tik when he appears, he spawns some floating things that will attract you to them then devour you, I couldn’t find a way to break the charm or anything

Warlords of Draenor
Highmaul

• The Butcher, not sure of the timing for definite but you’ve got to do about 4.4 million damage before the 4th application of the debuff (I am thinking about 24 seconds but not sure, will be timing it this weekend, yay for reseach)

Blackrock Foundary

• Beastlord Darmac can pin you down and that is where you stay until you’re ravaged by his beasties, just don’t get hit by it, I suggest killing off the chimaera first as the fire can disorient you thus leading to a trickier time dodging the thing but more dps can result in this not being a problem
  • On the 3rd (or 4th, it was a blur) stage of Blackhand I didn’t see walls on the platform so he could knock you off of it I guess, not sure

Hellfire Citadel

• Hellfire Assault seems fine there now, I felt like a god when I did it first try after reading about it but that was just after the nerf so alas, back to reality I came but seems alright there now
  • I’ll be honest, I couldn’t clear Mythic past the High Council, the ramping bleed effect just proved to be too much, if your 120 though I don’t think there would be an issue so the information here isn’t too great but whatever, it could be a problem
  • A membor of the trash prior to Archimonde casts Curse of Doom (I suspect it was the Doomguard looking fellow) which will get you

Hopefully this can be a little useful, I am making some document with the information in but I am making it slowly but knowledge is power and all of that.

1 Like

This, I believe, is if you let the blue lightning orb thing get absorbed by the boss. It grants the boss an ability to debuff players with a dot that will jump to a nearby target within range after it expires. It can also jump to the same person if no one is in range (or if you are alone) in which case it is coded to simply one shot you. So you just gotta avoid it by killing the lightning orb, which might be easier said than done as melee because the boss will of course follow you and run straight into the orb if you can’t kill it in time.

:dizzy_face:

Yeah I remember the first few times I tried Ra-Den (back then when level 110 was the max) I got instant-killed by… something which turned out to be those orbs. But that always happened when I nearly killed the boss already, so I simply used a war drum for heroism buff which gave me enough extra DPS to kill the boss before the whole orb situation.

I don’t think there are any that still mechanically challenge you apart from spine of the deathwing. I can imagine beastlord darmac killing you if you get pinned down, but that’s a pretty easy mechanic to dodge (and it’s just one thing!). Then there are mythic legion bosses that are difficult to solo, but not necessarily because you need to execute the mechanics perfectly, in some cases, they’re just unkillable for certain classes until you get to a point where you can brute force them down efficiently enough. Well, that’s where the real challenge is anyways. Any older raids/dungeons should not prove difficult at this point.

the first boss in emerald nightmare mythic mind controls you and kills you if you’re alone, i don’t know if you can solo it with a pet class