10,000 Years

Why is it always ten thousand years with wow’s stories? Ten thousand years ago this happend ten thousand years ago that happend and its always somthing with an elaborate name or title like grand magister elisande.

Why can’t it be “Hero last Friday me and my friend Dave came out of the lions pride Inn and we were set upon by murlocs. Dave lost his keys and his misses is gonna deck him if he doesn’t find them can you help”

Or “Week before last elisande was drunk on mana and put a new shield over the city can you sober her up with some coffee and have her take it down?” instead of “ten thousand years ago elisande did this azsarah did that”.

Just a thought for future missions :blush: in 9.0

4 Likes

Imprisoned for ten thousand years…

4 Likes

Blizzard have been on the “Ancient Night Elf/Highborne” train for a while. These past two expansions have shown something dedicated to the ancient Highborne and honestly, as a Highborne lore fan, I’m kinda sick of it.

I’d like something new to look at. Suramar was beautiful, Nar’thalas looked different, Zin’Azshari - ok, just an extended Nar’thalas…I think we can all do with a rest from the ancient lore. I’m not against Night Elves having lore, but I’d rather it be centered on the present and future, rather than the past.

1 Like

The inference always seems to be that we’re living in some kind of backwash era where everything is less grand and glorious than t was in the past :confused:

But yeah, I agree. 10,000 years is not only round and generic, but beyond our understanding. 10,000 years ago on earth, continental Europe and the UK were indistinguishable because the sea level was lower and it was just a solid lump of land. Our brains don’t really process how insanely, stupidly, crazily long ago this was.

50 years ago? Back end of the 60s. Records and radios. 100 years ago? Everyone was quite convinced there would never be another great war.

These are the sort of timescales we can process and understand. Your gran’s gran might have been around 100 years ago. You might even have seen some faded old photos. Anything behind that kind of loses meaning.

4 Likes

man’s misses sounds like a rough ting

10,000 years ago , when PvP vendors were still a thing .

6 Likes

Dave found his keys… 10, 000 years later.

2 Likes

Banished from my own homeland…

1 Like

We currently get the 10k years ago constantly because its when the war of the ancients was. And that involved literally all the stuff we walk through currently, as nazjatar and broken isles. its the backstory of the nightelves and naga

10000 my lucky no.

Few mounts I got at 10000’s try.
Other mount isn’t dropping for me bcoz it’s still not 10000 kills.
Every 10000 try I get BIS Titan forged.
Every 10000 rbg horde looses.
Every 10000 min my wow lags/crashes.
At 10000 try in group finder people won’t ask about RIO.

I can go on n on …:sweat_smile:

That’s a tad bit unfair though.

N’zoth is quite obviously the villain of this expansion, whether we kill (or imprison) N’zoth or not. He’s the focus. He’s an Old God. He predates life as we know it on Azeroth.
It stands to be that the oldest of all the mortal races on Azeroth will have at least interacted more with them than say, Orcs or Draenei, which are a relatively recent additions to Azeroth.

The same could be said for The Legion too, or at least their presence on Azeroth. They were drawn by the Well of Eternity, which just so happened to be the centre of the Highborne empire. Obviously the Highborne (or what remained of them) would be involved, but again, they weren’t the focus of Legion.

The only way you erase ‘ancient lore’ and the races involved with it, is to not have ancient enemies. Having one, and then retconning races out of lore as to not feature them, would just be bad storytelling all around.

1 Like

Because it’s been TEN THOUSAND YEARS.

Or as Illidan says : FEEL THE HATRED OF TEN THOUSAND YEARS! inb4 dying to Abathur’s mine line.

It’s a fantasy genre trope to throw around hundreds or thousands of years like it’s nothing. Look at how much our world has changed over just the last 50 years. Pet peeve :stuck_out_tongue:

And now you DARE enter MY REALM?!?

You are not prepared…

2 Likes

I’d so do this quest, on every character I own.

On topic, it’s a little bit more than 10000 years ago now :stuck_out_tongue:
It was a massive point in Azeroth’s history, as others mentioned, the War of the Ancients.
The Legions invasion of Azeroth, the Highborne and Azshara’s use of the Well of Eternity drawing Sargeras to this world. The battles against the Legion, the destruction of the Well and the Sundering, splitting the world apart, Illidans imprisonment, Elisande sealing Suramar City from the outside world, so much happened back then :smiley:

That kind of massive apocalyptic event tends to leave a mark, not just on the planet (The Maelstrom, the shape of the continents etc) but in the history of the world, it’s peoples and their stories.

There’s other big events throughout Azeroth’s history, but that one really takes the cake.

3 Likes

I don’t truly think it is “unfair.”

Whilst it has been good to get a good insight into the way the Highborne lived and seeing examples of places where they lived, it is starting to get boring - Zin’Azshari is the nail in the coffin as it truly is just an extended Nar’thalas and Zarkhenar.

10,000 years ago yes.

But times have changed. The Highborne have changed and what we should see is what the current Highborne are doing now and how they’ve changed.

Going back is alright, but to do it all the time, when wanting to address Night Elf/Highborne lore - we’ve got to have some give and take here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.