When did you buy World of Warcraft, whats your story?

Were at a friends, he was raiding ICC on Festergut I believe. Asked if I wanted to try, so I did.
Later made a character on his cousins account to try out a fresh character.

Fast forward half a year and I got my own account and made this very same hunter I post on. Nothing special really.

2004-2005.
Started after having hated the game for a month or two cause it “stole” my friends away from me.
Spent 1h playing at a friends place that convinced me to at least try it - and I agreed cause I am a person who values facts and logic; So hating the game without knowing if I enjoyed it or not made no sense to me when I had time to think…

So I tried it.
Made a Rogue Hunter Female, went to do a named-mob quest but someone stole the tag from me right as I was about to attack, it was another rogue.
He /laughed at me, spamming me, then he requested a duel.
My friend said “YES CLICK YES!!!” and I did, I managed to win the duel.
The other rogue was at 1HP as the duel ended…

Then the named mob respawned and killed him.

I laughed so much I cried.
Day after I went to buy the game and I have NEVER unsubbed since, not even for a week. :slight_smile:

(at least not voulentarily, I got hacked by my ex for a while, he was a very bad person, to get account back took longer than expected too but eventually I did).

1 Like

about 2006 I’d say.

WoW was the game that was cool to mock, due to heavy slander campaigns on TV and magazines at the time raving on and on about vidya gaeym addictions, including my mother :stuck_out_tongue:

But I got to try it at a friends house one day. So I made an undead rogue (ofc) and 10 minutes in I knew I had to get it for myself. So I snuck out to buy it and played it in secret for well over a year, after which I’d get handed news cutouts about how dangerous it is and so on. I suppose my sneaky rogue ways had their roots in simply playing the game without getting caught.

Anyway I made a dwarf warrior as my first character. Threw away green gear in loch modan cause the vendor whites had better armour numbers. Gotta have armour. It didnt really stick and I ended up rerolling a Tauren shaman, who became my main all the way til 4.1 (where my worgen rogue popped up)

Now my shaman was a whole different beast. I did it wrong, went enhance with a one-handed mace and shield, specifically the one from Scarlet Cathedral. My most memorable moment had to be getting hunted by a human rogue in Ganklethorn vale 7 levels above me I think. Might have been more or less, but I know they outleveled me pretty bad. How is this memorable? Well, after hours of frustration I managed to get the drop on them while they were at very low hp. And while I still almost died with my pathetic auto attacks and earth shocks, I managed to kill the bastard. I instantly left the zone, satisfied with my first player kill.

My second most memorable would be the barrens. Cause barrens. But out of all the barrens stuff it was a naked troll running in circles asking randoms in /say “who you be”. He’d run up to my leveling buddy of the hour, a warlock and pop the question, to which my buddy replied “Warlock” and the troll went “No. Who YOU be”
After a bit of silence the warlock cried “I dont understand” to which the troll responded “Dance mon!”

And then they danced.

2 Likes

Well I was a big fan of morrowind, I absolutley loved that game, then a little birdie told me of WoW, and how it was a massive game online, and I was so hyped to play it, I still remember my night elf hunter, and the old starting area for undead.

For me I started a couple of months after the game launched, had an undead frost mage on Mazrigos when it was a PvP server.

Real life got in the way and I lost / forgot account details and came back about three months into TBC played solidly from then to about 3/4 of the way through Cataclysm took a break came back for MoP, then had a layoff until the last three months of WoD and have played relatively consistently since then, although my play time is not what it once was.

For me “technically” my first experience was back in closed beta. I was active in some cosplay communities back then and a friend from one of those forums, who I knew IRL from University, had got into the closed beta and wouldn’t stop raving about it. I tried the beta a few times on their PC.

As for when I really started playing, it was just before the Opening of the Gates of Ahn’Qiraj event started. Said friend had bought the game so I borrowed their game discs to test it out on my laptop. Needless to say my laptop wasn’t very great, it struggled to run at 5 fps on the lowest settings :rofl: so as soon as I entered Ironforge I ended up in the infamous lagpits! In the end I ended up spending my entire spring student loan installment on a new PC (I justified it as being able to do my essays from home, but the reality was it was just so I could play WoW), and spent a good few months living off beans on toast. :joy:

I’ve told this story many a time, but I’ll tell it again. My first ever character was a Human Warlock, and I remember questing in Elwynn Forest and seeing a Night Elf Hunter who was using a fairly standard cat from Darkshore as their pet, and I was like “I NEED ONE!” I found the Cat Vendor in Elwynn and begged my friend for some silver so I could buy a kitty. I summoned my new feline companion and went around killing Murlocs, Kobolds, Gnolls, and Defias, and eventually noticed that the kitten wasn’t leveling up or attacking things. That’s when my friend told me that only Hunters could have animals as pets. :flushed: I was so upset at the time, but funnily enough I didn’t actually make a Hunter until Cataclysm.

Moral of the story, we were all newbies once!

13 Likes

I need to reply to this one because:
On my own fault I purchased 2 copies with US keys, a Blizzard customer support back then no problem in exchanging them, but I never got anything beyond.
The retailer wasnt obliged to take them back either because a) no guarantee I did not use the keys b) not his fault and c) its a functual product after all.
So my official first touch was shortly before TBC was released (and your company still owes me that 100,- € :wink: , it was an extra copy for my brother)

I started during vanilla open beta, my first challenge was: tame Bjarn! Because he was elite!

I could tell the most epic story…but I have none.
Saw the game on sale, sold my life away on that day some 8 years ago…

I bought it in september 2006. I played warcraft 3 for a year by then and I met someone in my school who played WoW and convinced me to buy WoW and play that instead of Warcraft 3. In the beginning is was a bit heldback by the fact that there was a monthly fee for subscription, but eventually I bought it and never looked back !

I won a Collectors Edition in a contest along with 60 days of ingame time back in April 2005.

my story is quite long so i will try to keep it as short as i can.

The love for Blizzard products (sorry to say , but this sad excuse of a company is not Blizzard anymore) begun with the Lost Vikings on a 3.5" disk !!!
Epic times and epic game !

The love for the Warcraft Lore begun on 1994 and Warcraft 1 !
On a 386 PC with Adlib compatible sound card and EGA 16 color graphics !

on November of 2004 a friend of mine gave me a trial 7 day key for World of Warcraft .
On January 2005 bought the 5 CD Installation Kit of World Of Warcraft.
Everything else is history … with good and bad times.

MoP, i was always interested in it, but i couldnt look at those ugly models, so as soon as i saw panda models, how good they looked i jumped in with no questions asked.

A friend of mine knew that I really liked Warcraft rts series and gave me a trial account in 2005.
Been on-off subbed ever since.

Im so glad we have you as community manager

For me, I blame my son.

2005 he went to USA for a holiday and came back raving about it. He installed it on his PC and was often up late in the night playing with his US friends. Eventually my wife wanted to know what it was about so he allowed her to play one night. The next day it was installed on the family PC downstairs.

A few months later My wife needed to have an operation so I took some time off to help her. When she got home she found that I’d installed the game on my laptop so that I could join her while she convalesced.

Been hooked ever since.

3 Likes

My first dealings with Blizzard was when I got the Diablo Battle Chest (1+2 plus the expansions). Then I moved on to Neverwinter Nights (where this char got his name from) and played that for a few years.
Then an ex work colleague tried pestering me to try WoW (so he could get his RAF rewards lol). I resisted until about halfway through WOTLK then saw the classic plus TBC battle chest with WOTLK next to it in Blockbuster, so around 2009 ish. This char was my first one I made, and ive stuck with it ever since.
Stayed subbed until about 3 months into WOD then had about an 18 month break till the end of WOD but not unsubbed since returning.
Also have a few current work colleagues who also play WoW so its good discussions at work sometimes.

2010 or 2011 is when i frist started. I was playing Assassins Creed MP but the wait was getting on my nerves. Saw the warchest and got it. I shunned WoW for many years and did nto even want to get close. But after i tried it i did enjoy it. I like questing.

1 Like

I am trying to forget.

(Kidding. I got WoW as a gift from my wife. She had no idea what this would do, LOL.)

I used to play lots of adventure games like Monkey Island and Full Throttle with my dad, and then I wanted a similar game. My dad had no clue about other games and just brought Warcraft II for Christmas. Even though it was a completely different genre I liked it a lot, and started to play with my friends from school.

Fast forward to 2001 I was watching the ECTS World of Warcraft Cinematic and I thought it was so incredible cool. Just the fact you could walk around the game, and it was all in 3D. Played the Warcraft III game as well which I wanted the World of Warcraft game even more. The Beta came closer, and we started talking about what classes and races we wanted to play. I had my eyes on Taurens, but one of my friends wanted to play Paladin, no matter what. So we all had to choose races inside the Alliance faction.

There was a pre-order sale at my local game store. If you pre-order the Collector Edition you also got access to the Beta. So get a taste of the game, I did that. Some month laster, at the midnight release, I went with some friends to buy the Standard Edition and I forgot everything about the pre-order of the game. We talked about the Collector Edition had so much cool stuff and we tried to get a copy of that, but it was sold out in every store. We visited 10 different stores the next weekend. I manage to find one, but due to being low on money I gave it up to my friend. The following day, the first game store called and asked when I would stop by and pick up my pre-order of the Collector Edition, which I had forgot everything about. But since I already had an active game subscription and was around level 11, I was not sure if could be bothered to level up one more time.

My brother which was much younger then me (9) really liked the game, but our parents refused to buy a game he probably didn’t know how to play since it was all in English. The Collector Edition had a 14 days free trial for the game, so I setup a secondary account in my name and installed the game on a laptop so he could sit next to me so I could translate all the quests for him. The trial ended and he was so sad he couldn’t play anymore, he begged our parents to more allowance so he could buy the game. I told them it also cost a subscription, but I had an extra game key he could use (the Collector Edition). I thought for myself, it’s just a in-game pet, no big deal. Years later my brother graduated from high school, the best in the class in English. And I have regretted not spend some extra days, switch account so I could keep the damn pet! Had no idea we still would play the game 14 years later!

1 Like

Loving the storys people have shared, I’ve been viewing these for the past few days and its been a great experience keep it up :slight_smile: