Text to speech for Warcraft

I relate to this. I do not have visual impairment, but I have mobility issues which I recently found out could be permanent. One of the reasons I love to play Classic WoW is that it does not demand a player to be pressing keybinds and mouseclicks near constantly or in super quick succession. This means I can play for hours on end, whereas with faster paced games I need to take breaks very regularly and cannot play for as long either. There are some games I just cannot play at all, which does upset me sometimes but I can still find joy in other games that suit my disability.

I really hope Blizzard will give this attention, and soon. If you have not yet I suggest you also make a post on reddit about this. The WoW communities there are very large and super active. You could get some support from there as well.

1 Like

Yea. There are games too that i cant play with my disability like all FPS shooters, which actually loved to play when i still had normal visus on my eyes. Especially old UT (Unreal Tournament GOTY) was my favotite and i also maintained dedicated internet server for that back then. Would be nice to still play with my friends at LAN party with full ability but i just hang there and offer a target for them to shoot now so i am in spirit with them. I also loved fast race games and cant play anymore though GTA is one i just drive blind for fun at times… It gives so much fun trying to drive as fast as i can without crashing (Much and too often) :smiley:

Thats a good suggestion. Thanks.

I dont have Reddit account yet though, but maybe its time to consider making one.

To be noticed by a blue please thank you .

2 Likes

I have also posted in

and

and asked for support for you to see if that helps.

2 Likes

Hey Lilian,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I believe that something like this would be a fantastic feature, if there was some sort of native support for it in-game.

18 Likes

I cant give you a like as run out but thank you for reading :kissing_heart::rose:

1 Like

Thanks for doing that. I also posted earlier on the support and have sent an suggestion in-game. The support post got lost there but hoping all this will help :slight_smile:

Thanks :slight_smile: That addon was so great help as long it worked. I really hope it can be somehow be added back either as an addon or even better would be native support in the accessibility features :slight_smile:

You can tun out of likes? Good to know. I thought they were limitless.

1 Like

it seems microsoft has something like trhat already in windows no idea if it would work in WOW
they call it : game-chat-transcription-xbox-one

Yes. Windows has had Narrator for ages and as seen on the video on the jocy site about the text to speech addon, this was alsoa feature in World of Warcraft but it went broke when they encrypted chat channels, or so i read. I had an impression, that the encryption was added because some AH addon that used some of them in manner that was not good or something.

Anyway, i encourage everyone to go see the video on the site in the link provided in my initial post to see how it worked. It was amasing and made me able to follow all the texts as speech in the game which i now miss again because the speech does not work.

I can still read quest texts but is is very difficukt and a strain to my neck and the one eye that sees something but all the NPC chat bubbles just go by because i cant read them and same with chat bubles in RP for example. Very slow chat on the window is something i can read with magnifying glass but its not that eyse and the unergonomic pose needed for it is a strain too.

1 Like

Hey Lilian!

Thank you so much for bringing this up. We actually have a new feature available for reporting accessibility issues or concerns within our games and you can find more details on this under this link: https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/000244753

I don’t have much further to add that isn’t already covered there, but I hope we’ll have the ability to help you and everyone else with these or similar accessibility concerns in our games :).

7 Likes

I’m using WoW Quest Text Reader it’s working perfectly for Quests.

How does that actually work? What i understood about it, it requires copy/pasting links between WoW and browser and that it does not work for Opera.

The copy/paste part felt quite a hassle if it is required compared to that addon i used which strtaightforward spoke the qyest text without any other action than clicking that quest giver like normally playing.

Another problem would seem to be, that it only works on quest texts and not for NPC/Player chat bubbles for example or for chat windows and other dialogue.

Still, the concept seems interesting. :slight_smile:

Hey Zaxithome!

Thanks for the info. Its great you have this new thing to report accessibility issues.

I actually allready sent an e-mail to accessibility team about this issue as suggested by another blue in the customer support forums.

Now that i know there is this page/system too, i will take time to investigate that place too. Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a separate program you open and keep in background. Then you just have to bind some hotkeys and it reads quests.

Can you provide a link for that pleasae? The one in Twitch seems different as it uses browser and description talks about links that need to be pasted to browser.

Would help quite a bit if easy quest reader really works but it wont help with chat or NPC chat bubbles.

I love TTS! Especially in discrod!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

JocysCom Text-to-Speech Monitor (and Addon) works again. Latest version (2019-10-06) uses new message sending and capturing technique… color pixels of the display.

1 Like

Yes, this is surely helpful for people who have these conditions!

1 Like

I don’t see why addons would not be able to read chat messages.
I just tested the following code and it’s reading messages perfectly fine.

local f  = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("CHAT_MSG_SAY")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, message, sender)
      print(message)
end)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.