A Better future for Night elf - New Capital inc too

This post from MMO-champion forum I really think is good and well thought out version of where the Night elves will go. It’s also the sort of future I think works well for all night elf fans - and it doesn’t leave anyone out.

It is the sort of big effort the Night elves really are due after so many knocks, nerfing and canon fodder sacrificing.

It also looks up for a change, makes clear the night elves are recovering, getting stronger and more powerful, but also employing the full aspect of the race not narrowing it down and without losing what their cores are. It is the sort of thing I feel blizzard would probably do if they were really interested in Night elves and wanted to actually develop them well, with improvements and gains instead of nerfs and losses - making them the sort of titanic race they described in the WC3 manual yet fitting well with other racial powers like humans, orcs , undead etc.

It’s long a long read: But basically Hyjal is there new capital and it explores how the night elves operate in a post BFA/SL world after a timeskip of a few years.

Neat huh. I like it because it’s big and comprehensive, night elves feel like night elves but not pathetic weaklings weak kneed at “human” potential but rising up and pulling themselves together.

3 Likes

I’d love for the Night Elves to get a new home, but I don’t think this is something Blizzard would ever even consider.

I know right, it would be nice though.

Blizzard don’t know how to do bright future. They don’t know how to off set the gloom, darkness and destruction with promise and hope and giving powerful signs.

The last big effort for this was classic. Everything else that has come has been in decline.

Silvermoon
Gilneas City
Kezan
Exodar
Suramar

All in decline. Saying that. Boralus and Atal’dazar were not - although both were attacked…

Nothing is in an upward trend, it all declines. This is why they need a constructive operation in the game… this old topic I did a while go is what they need.

1 Like

I can’t see them sharing Suramar as a proper capital, sorry… not with Lor’themar and Thalyssra hanging out there in their free time, lol.

Maybe if Tyrande had not been so harsh on the NB things could have gone differently, but you mustn’t forget NB are a Horde race now, just as much as the Void Elves are an Alliance one.

If peace with the Alliance holds, I am certain that some night elves scholars could be admitted to Suramar. Some night elves did help over there in Legion, that’s undeniable.

But sharing a capital is too much.

Hiyal works as a main night elves hub but I do not expect them to build huge urban structures there. You may have at most a temple of the moon, but for the rest I’d say we should expect mostly wooden housing as it was in Darnassus.

I like the option of Eldre’thalas being rebuilt (does not matter if as a capital or as a questing hub), although I would not expect to see that before exp 10 or even 11. :wink:

p.s. working on the growth of capitals on layers across patches or even expansions is a cool idea, but there would be a lot of phasing involved. Not sure to what level Blizzard is willing to embrace it SO MASSIVELY, regardless of the technology being already applied.

They should build an outpost capital in Duskwood.
The mountain crater in the centre is perfect. It has a moonwell, a portal (to the emerald dream? There used to be a dragon there back in the old days)
Its high mountain sides are difficult to climb on mounts, and it has a nice big tree in the middle, the place is perfect as a temporary base.
Dusk all day, dark at night. Few go there, and for those who want a little bit of non elf entertainment, the village nearby has some night life and a night watch.
Most of all, its not being used for anything anymore. I don’t think there are any questlines there that changing it would interrupt.

Building n Hyjall would cause it to need to be more phased I think. Plus they (bliz) seem to want to move ally to mostly eastern kingdoms and horde to mostly kalimdore.
Accepted that the belf area and the drenai zones can’t really be removed since they are on the TBC servers, so for in game, are protected by some sort of barrier that stops flying and passing through outside of certain ways…and no, I do not think a good idea to make them part of the old world because then there is more fighting over bloody silvermoon.

Much better to have a safe place for the mothers and children, build up your numbers and shelter where folks don’t think you would go.
It wouldn’t even have to be permanent. Use it as an interim capital for now, then when all the shadowlands stuff is done story side, I bet there will be other places that a proper capital can be built in.
Cause I got a feeling that the time skip they are planning isn’t going to be 5-10 years…but much more.

If Night elves get a new home Worgen and Gnomes should also!

I don’t see the need for a grand new capital in Hyjal after that unfortunate business with the tree and nor do I believe the Night Elves care that much for the city life these days anyway.

If they ever redesigned the old world I’d much rather see Nordrassil refitted into a giant treehouse in the vein of Caras Galadhon. Tis way more appealing to me at least and far more unique than yet another Highborne cityscape.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, they won’t.

At this point they might aswell expand Stormwind and Orgrimmar and have everyone live there

I know right, it would be nice though.

Blizzard don’t know how to do bright future. They don’t know how to off set the gloom, darkness and destruction with promise and hope and giving powerful signs.

The last big effort for this was classic. Everything else that has come has been in decline.

Silvermoon
Gilneas City
Kezan
Exodar
Suramar

All in decline. Saying that. Boralus and Atal’dazar were not - although both were attacked…

Nothing is in an upward trend, it all declines. This is why they need a constructive operation in the game… this old topic I did a while go is what they need.

Alliance is abandoned syndrome huh.

Tbh, blizzard has yet to convince us that they are now going to be serious about the alliance. I was fooled once by Suramar, that it was the alliance revival, starting with the night elves. then it and all its fancy assets went horde.

And the gap continued to widen. Now I notice the Alliance showing strong bin Battle for Dazar’alor quest story, raid and Darkshore Warfront quest and battle.

It’s actually the first time they’ve given the horde a competent challenge from the alliance, and one that the alliance has won. Usually alliance victories over horde are lucky or barely escaped victories, and they did that consistently from TBC to Legion.

Shadowlands has no faction/faction races having any improvements - so we’ll have to wait and see if indeed they’re seriousa bout the alliance depending on what they end up doing with Night elves and ofc worgen /gnomes.

However it doesn’t fill you with confidence when they openly said Darkshore warfront was the night elf compensation for the years of crap, and Tyrande wasn’t shown in 8.2 because she had her screen time in 8.1 - are you serious? You mean there is Tyrande Fatigue, and Jaina is her replacement who’s been active in 8.0, 8.1 where she is wounded, but is up and about to lead the Naz’jatar charge in place of Tyrande alongside Genn instead of one of the Highborne

It shows their mentality - they couldn’t careless that the night elves had been wrecked by their story telilng - you notice the majority of their responses was about how nuanced Sylvanas was, showing the honour of Saurfang - not a single focus on the actual night elves obliterated - no you get a hastily put together warfront - where all we can think of is a night warrior ritual - i mean if they really cared, they’d have remembered the night elves have the Well of Eternity and highborne as a great tool, as well as 2 world tree access and the Emerald dream.

The fact their vision was so small - and all the focus was thrown on Sadfang and Sylvanas with MAndruin, continues to highlight where the heart is.

Humnas & Horde.

Jury is now out on whether the night elves are loved enough to be continued.

Hyjal Nordrassil was the original world tree that lasted 10,000 years from sundering until the death of archimonde.

Teldrassil was only a corrupted replacement planted by Fandral that existed less than 50 years.

Tyrande, Malfurion, Illidan lived about 5,000 years in suramar/val’sharah before sundering, 10,000 years in Hyjal/Kalimdor after sundering, and less than 30 years in Teldrassil (Only Tyrande realy stayed in Teldressil, Malfurion spent most time in emeral dream, and Illidan has never been to Teldrassil… )

Night elves don’t have any strong emotional connection to Teldrassil anyway, compared to Nordrassil.

Burning of Teldrassil is a good thing that it can make Night elf leave the corrupted tree and move back to the real world tree Nordrassil that was blessed by the dragon aspects since the end of Cataclysm.

1 Like

yep, indeed.

Although Hyjal is not the best location for capital, /world centre. It was the centre of the Long vigil night elves because the Well of Eternity was there, and nordrassil, the tree grown to hide it’s energy signatrue followed after. It’s signifcance for national deence lost meaning when the Long vigil ended - however, saying that, if the Well is used by the night elves again, it becomes a national treasure and centre once more, their new nation would be based on.

It is quite remote to get their physically, it’s not easy at all, makes it easily defensible but nearly impossible for trade/ influence etc. You can always make portals thou.

If Hyjal is the capital, i will definitely need at least one of ther night elf city to be raised. Eldre’thalas is near the sea and a part and has open routes to other places across the main land, it is perfect to become that centre… almost like what New York is to the USA, while DC, more remote and in land.

Uh… hate to break it to you but almost all Night Elves died in Teldrassil

That was an interesting post you made on MMO champion, Starstride…yes…

Hyjal is a perfect option, but Alliance Highborne moving to Suramar is a bit of a stretch. It’s still extremely clear that the Night Elves hate the Horde and that includes the Nightborne.

I’d rather Night Elves either stay on Hyjal and restore Eldre’Thalas and set up portal networks between Nordrassil and Eldre’Thalas or move to Darkshore or move Gilneas, which obviously, night elf fans don’t want.

2 Likes

Hyjal couldn’t work though. It’s neutral territory. The Cenarion Circle is there and they have Tauren and Trolls something which I doubt Tyrande wants to see anymore. Eldre’thalas (Dire Maul) would be the best option. Its ancient and has a lot of arcane secrets, the Highborne there have joined the Night elves, Feathermoon Stronghold is also there in Feralas. That’s the best option honestly. And it also has a portal to the Emerald Dream.

1 Like

Feralas is a good option and along with the Worgen/Gilnean Magi, portal networks can easily be established between it and Darkshore/Nordrassil.

We’ve got to remember, this isn’t for the Kaldorei Army - this is for the citizens of the Night Elves who follow Tyrande.
I think we can start talking about too many things when we start saying “Well we’ve got the Court of Farondis and they need a home and the Moon Guard, they need a home and then the Val’Sharah night elves - they could move to Blackrook Hold and then…” It gets too much and the fact is, none of these need to change as they are simply not the main group of night elves.

The main group is that which follows Tyrande’s rule and they should be stationed on Kalimdor.

1 Like

Here is the future we all know will happen:
Forsaken will eventually get Lordaeron City HD as their “new” capital. Basically just an upgrade over what it was before.
Night Elves will simply get Tyrande & Malf placed into the one single Inn where Ysera has been standing since Cataclysm. Blizzard will call it “Hobonassus” and change the Darnassus banner into a huge middle finger.

Yes, sounds harsh, but we all know that is EXACTLY what is going to happen.

PS: And if the fan “backlash” gets too strong, they will release an ingame cutscene in horrible quality, done by interns, where Malfurion, Shandris and Tyrande gather to plan the future of their race. Malfurion proposes regrowing Teldrassil; he found a way and it could be done instantly. Shandris votes for moving to Eldre’thalas instead. Tyrande hears both proposals, then Blizzard make her say something stupid in a shrill voice and the community will conclude “Clearly Tyrande is to blame!”

Gnomeregan first!!
You tall knife ears get in line!

We got a rebuild Lakeshire bridge :wink:

I’m honestly leaning in the other direction. I want Night Elves to return to nature, not try to rebuild their empire.

• It’s reasonable to assume they’d want to hang around Mount Hyjal, as that’s where the last World Tree is located as well as the new Well of Eternity. It stands in the middle of their most recent iteration of their homeland, surrounded by Darkshore, Ashenvale, Felwood, Azshara, Winterspring and Moonglade.
  • However, I do think the Cenarion Circle and the Earthen Ring will be the stewards of Mount Hyjal and Nordrassil as we move forward. Druidism has expanded so much in the game since the days of Warcraft 3, and there are simply too many races involved for this to become a Night Elf exclusive. So with that in mind, I think Mount Hyjal is out of the question as a new home for Night Elves.
  • What does stand out as far as Night Elves go right now, is the fact that they are homeless, decimated, scattered, and uprooted. Tyrande may no longer be their leader, and who knows what is to become of Malfurion once that happens. Perhaps the two of them will become a tag team like Turalyon and Alleria; two opposing forces united in love, but separated by their world views. They may be out in the world from now on, no longer in charge of their people. That’s where Shandris steps in.
  • Shandris is a leader, a warrior, and a Night Elf with her feet solidly on the ground. She represents the survivor among Night Elves, the common elf who fought her way from the bottom to the top without fanfare or glory. Just hard work and determination.
  • I hope the Night Elves become more or less what they were in the days leading up to, and during Warcraft 3. A people of the forest, stalking their enemies among the trees from the shadow. Fierce warriors who rely on their kinship with nature and knowledge of the land for a tactical superiority.
  • So to be more specific, I’d like to see Darkshore, Ashenvale, and Felwood become their home territory. But I don’t want to see a large city or anything of that sort. I want them to be guerrilla fighters hiding out in caves or watching their prey from the treetops. They’ll protect the forests at any cost, but always from the shadows. None who enter will make it out alive, should they show the slightest malicious intent or disregard for nature. Even Alliance forces will have a watchful eye looking from the shadows to make sure they do not establish any major settlements or disturb the land. This is Night Elf territory.
  • Winterspring is pretty much Goblin territory already, as is Azshara. While I do love Winterspring, I wouldn’t mind if it remained a rugged and cold wasteland to the north, abandoned by the Night Elves. Moonglade, naturally, must remain neutral for the Druids out there.

Edit:

I could see the Night Elves making some gains in Stonetalon Peaks. Perhaps the valleys and hills have been abandoned by the Horde as they realise it borders too closely with the Night Elf territory inside Ashenvale. This could lead to a regrowth of the areas trees, shrubs, and grasses.

2 Likes

Exactly, not all night elves are part of the Alliance therefore aren’t with Tyrande. I don’t think making them move in Gilneas would be fitting for them. They’d still be refugees without a proper home. So Eldre’thalas would be the best option from these three.