Essences and reputation grinds needs to be account wide to some extend

It is of my personal opinion, that commendations, such as the ones used in MOP, HAS to be released for the Unshackled and Rustbolt reputations. This should happen in the form of a BoA item (with some sort of cost), which you could apply to specific alts or an account wide item (Like it was in MOP). With essences from these two reputations being BiS, it feels super awkward playing on alts well knowingly, that you have a reputation grind that you’ve already completed ahead of you.

I’m currently sitting on every BiS essence for fury and protection on my warrior, yet every single alt i had from the previous patch, is now useless. (I had 4 up-to-par alts last patch, every single one of them able to do a m18+ or higher).

There is no skill involved in acquiring these essences. So what is the point of time-gating them for people that has ALREADY completed this content. I understand that gearing alts should be almost as hard as gearing your main, but this is honestly too much.

I understand that from blizzards perspective, time-gating these things forces players into logging in weekly and playing their game. In their flawed minds, this in turn increases player activity, but from my point of view, this is completely wrong. Player activity has never been lower and with people completely neglecting their alts and leaving them in the dirt, this makes it so that every community in every part of the game, whether that’s raiding, m+ or PvP, has taken a hit. People strictly do m+, etc. on their mains and has completely forgotten about their alts.

In previous expansions, the only thing you had to do when dinging max level on an alt, was gearing it. There was no time spend = power. There was no time-gated “you have to wait 4 weeks to get rank 3 iris before u can start pushing keys” bullsh*t. The only thing that determined your power, was your spells, your gear and how good you were at utilizing your class. It is unbearable playing an alt in a raid with others and you see yourself being outperformed by some idiot, simply because he has R3 in his best essences.

Should essences be BoA? No. But they should sure as hell not be time-gated. Hitting 120 on an alt and realizing which essences are BiS is the worst feeling. Need Vision of perfection? Great, you can have it R3 in 4 weeks, THEN and only THEN can you actually start performing and doing key pushes/raids on said alt. A fix for this could potentially be a 50 % decrease in the requirement for each essence. If you got the Unshackled follower essence, the next time around, you need 1500 instead of 3000 for R2 and 3000 instead of 6000 for R3. Blood of the enemy? Now its 25.000 instead of 50.000 Honor, etc.

TL;DR: Revamp the essence system or remove it entirely. The game did not suffer from gear and skill being the only determining factor in your characters power then and it will not now. If the system remains the way it is, people will deter from playing alts which has a negative effect on every part of the community. People don’t stop playing when they get the best gear/essences in the game, they simply gear alts.

Please.

2 Likes

It’s a good solution to ease the progression of alts a bit while still having to put some effort into it.

Blizzard could also update the reputation contract consumables to give bonus reputation for doing other activities besides world quests as well. Like dungeons, raids, etc.

I’ve always supported bringing back the MoP rep.
Only time I nearly got all reputations exalted on several characters except shado pan throne of thunder rep almost there though as I’m running it for t-mog.

I honestly don’t know why they don’t bring the system from MoP back. It was a very good balance, being alt-friendly while also not giving you complete account-wide progress.

Same here, I had 3 chars at around 415 last patch with 1 more in the making (gearing). But since 8.2 dropped I haven’t touched anything but my main. Just cant bring myself to go through AP and rep farms on more than 1 char.

didn’t you get the memo? reputation is the latest thing blizzard want to fig up. they will bring in very little, if anything, that makes grinding reputation easier. and most likely if they do, it will be in 9.0 or the prepatch.

and while the MoP idea is a nice compromise, it does not help all that “lost rep” that people have gathered over the years.

blizzard should, if they were genuine, bring in a system that once one alt had reached exalted, that all items on the quartermaster were BoA for any toon.

do you know how annoying it is trying to get recipes or transmog on older reputations if they are not your main? having to grind up the rep again, and sometimes a very annoying/long grind which may have to be done multiple times because a quartermaster might have items that are needed by several alts at revered or exalted.

no, once an expansion becomes legacy, ALL items on a quartermaster should be BoA. and on that note, legacy should kick in after 10 levels, NOT 11.

and if they insist on mechanics like essences being linked to reputations, and thus being beyond alts (because why should we have to get to exalted more than once?) then essences should ALSO be BoA from quartermasters.

1 Like

They made it so crafting recipes can be bought with marks of honor so they should think of something to solve the essence problem also. I like having lots of 120’s. In Legion it was like they supported many alts with all the artifact,class hall and mounts storylines and took a complete right turn from that…makes my alts sad

Bump

/10chars

I don’t mind the reputation that much, because often times, It’s irrelevant.

But essences and neck level…

You can’t even begin to consider changing your main to something else mid expansion. I’m stuck with this mage till 9.0 with this system. Because there’s no way in hell, i’m willing to spend another 2~3 months getting all the lvl 3 necks i got from raid or nazjatar.

1 Like

“I don’t mind the reputation that much, because often times, It’s irrelevant.”

Sadly, that is not true. The reputations are far from irrelevant, seeing as many of the essences acquired by said reputations are BiS for certain classes. Warriors for example: Both essences requiring exalted from rustbolt are BiS for fury and protection respectively.

For certain healers - if not all healers - the essence acquired from getting exalted with the Unshackled is BiS. Even if it’s just a minor, that is power that youre required to have in order for your alt to perform up-to-par with others. This in itself is not an issue, your alt should have to be worked on in order to be on par with others, but the fact that it’s time-gated makes the whole experience of playing said alt feel completely lackluster. Im gearing my druid atm. How might you ask? Well, i log in, i do Nazjatar follower quests, I do Mechagon hardmode once a week for the essence and then i do a m10. So basically first day of reset: Do Mechagon HM > Do M10. Then the rest of the week, i don’t touch it, except for doing the follower dailies. Wow, interactive gameplay i must say.

1 Like

You want to explain the relevancy of reputation by giving me essence example? Even though i said essences should be shared? If they’re shared, you don’t need to buy the next levels with reputation gain.

Pardon. I miss understood your point.

I don’t think essences should be account shared, I do however think that the time invested in obtaining them should be greatly reduced. Yes the essence should be locked behind the reputation, but the reputation itself should be reduced by 50 % through some sort of commendation you purchase on your main. Obviously the effect of said commendation dissapears once you hit exalted, so that people dont get paragon caches every 3 days.

The time you spend is fine. If you’re planning on obtaining the best essence for your spec, some grind is definitely not a problem. Otherwise, a month passes and you don’t have an end goal left.

Making it easier for alts won’t solve anything either. Neck level is much easier to grind for alts. You still don’t do it because it’s a massive grind and boring to do.

plus, anytime you spend doing things with your alt, means you’re falling behind on your main. Which further reduces the incentive to play with alts.

Well, yes and no. Once you’ve reached neck level 65, the gain from leveling your neck further is incredibly low. At that point, every level is a small stat increase, nothing more, nothing less. I have a lot of incentive to play my alts, simply because I am at neck level 65 now and it’s (Almost) pointless for me to go out of my way to increase my AP gain on my main. That being said, gearing an alt now, when it will take LITERALLY weeks before i can start playing it effectively and compete with other players of equal class/spec, is so lackluster it makes me want to vomit.

1 Like

yes playing alts, especially the same class is pure pain.
usually I was used to play 3-4 rogues.
I just reached my seasonal goals on them and used them to play with friends.

Right now even playing my 2nd Rogue feels incredible bad. I was always playing my main 90%+ of the time.
But I could always compete with my other chars. I just created alts for pure pvp.
Playing world content / raid was only for my main.
When my alts were geared from Arena only they were of course a bit weaker than my main who uses a combination of BiS gear from pvp/pve.
Still the gap has never been as huge.

So many of my mates that had multiple chars on Horde and Alliance are only playing their mains as well.
This is hurting general participation so much. Queue times are crazy… facing 1-2 different teams for ages

“This is hurting general participation so much. Queue times are crazy… facing 1-2 different teams for ages” HAHAHAHA SO TRUE!

I queued earlier at 1.8 k MMR and faced the same team 4 times in a row. 4 TIMES!!! AT 1.8 K!!! U should never face the same team even twice in a row at that MMR.

2vs2 is almost fine even at higher mmr
Its so much more fun atm.
Even the very best players enjoy 2s more,
Speaks for itself
But 3s is just dead. We are 10 weeks? into season and 2.4 is Rank ~ 200.

last Season at the same time 1000+ had 2.4… yesterday I did 6 games ( 2550 mmr) in around 90 min facing 2 different teams 3 times each.
I really hope things will get better next season/expansion :wink:

2v2 is so much more unbalanced though, always has been. If you don’t play a meta setup, you will lose the majority of the game and certain teams are practically unbeatable. When i face ele/disc on my rdruid, i might aswell just leave before gates open.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.