[A] Recently transferred returning player, where do I begin?

Recently returned to the game, and decided to transfer over here from a less populous server; I heard this place is the best for RP in the region, and I’m hoping to get involved.

I tried looking on the forums, but I couldn’t find like, a server-specific newcomer’s guide. I’d like some information on where people on here hang out, are there any chat channels you use to communicate, etc.
I would especially like to join an IC channel that one could use to do some RPing even while questing or such; I recall that being a lot of fun for me back in the day.

I’m also quite out of date when it comes to mods or other tools people use for RP. Are there any common ones I should be aware, or any ‘cultural’ things that I should be aware of?

For anyone interested, I am mostly here to experience all the content; I haven’t been playing since the Cataclysm hit, so there is a lot I want to see and do. I’m playing very casually, but it’d be nice to have some people around to talk with, maybe even run some old dungeons or raids together to experience the lore.

2 Likes

Hello friend, and welcome to Argent Dawn! :blush:

This is a guide about RPing overall, maybe not specific about how AD is, though! But it’s quite useful. :slight_smile:

If you mean for OOC communication:
In game: Whisper (although used for IC aswell, sometimes), guild chat, general, trade, battle.net and alike are OOC chats, and not used for RP.
Outside it, usually Discord communities and forums, Argent Archives and alike are used.

I think you should bit elaborate about what you mean of channel. :sweat_smile:
But! Overall, /s , /y and /e are only for RP and IC talking, if that’s what you mean. And sometimes there are IC chat channels in discord servers, mainly guild servers, for this purpose.

But if you mean communities or guilds, to find people to RP with and do all the stuff, there are plenty of good ones around. :slight_smile:
You can add me on Discord, so I’ll invite you to some of the communities: Lightbearer#8393

Overall, a good step to get into RP would be joining an RP guild, and there are plenty of good RP guilds out there. You can just say what kind of RP guild you’re interested in, and they will be recommended. :slight_smile:
For example, as it says you’re a gnome, i suggest some Gnome guilds:
Assemblage of Uld
Arclight Association
Gnomish air corps

The first and most necessary kind of RP addon, are the profile ones. Using them, you can make a profile for your character, aswell as see others’ .
The most common RP addon is Total RP 3, which i recommend it aswell. There are also other ones like MRP and XRP, but TRP i used more than others.
There are other addons aswell, which can be useful, but they aren’t as necessary as TRP.

Joining guilds and communities is the first step to find people to do content and all stuff with. :slight_smile: Feel free to add me on my Discord which i wrote above, so i can invite you to some communities, redirect you to what you seek, and discuss things further if needed. Overall, I’ll be happy to help!

Once again welcome to Argent Dawn, I’m sorry if i didn’t offer the best answers. Best of luck! :heart:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond!

I just wanted to clarify that while I’m new to the server and haven’t played WoW itself in quite a while, I am by no means new to RPing itself. So I understand basic stuff like how /s work and all that; similarly, I did check out the RP guide you mentioned, but as you said, it’s mostly just a general rundown of how RP works.

By channel, I mean public chat channels that anyone can join; generally global ones, so not like General, which only applies to one region (and isn’t specific for RP anyways).
Are there no global, in-game chat channels (outside guilds) that are used for this purpose? Or does everyone use external tools like Discord or Battlenet these days? Back in the day there was usually some kind of global OOC chat channel for people looking for RP or just wanting to talk about it. There was also (at least on the server I played on) a global IC chat channel everyone could use for RPing without needing to gather in person, very fun when you’re just doing dailies and such.

What are the Argent Archives, by the way?

As for guilds, I’m holding off a bit for now until I get settled in a bit more; but I’d certainly like to get in contact with some communities. Kinda trying more to freelance for now, I suppose.

I will definitely take a look at this then!

2 Likes

No, there aren’t. Forums, Battlenet Communities and public Discords are the main ways to find RP outside of guilds.

It’s basically a place where people can post guild, character and event concepts, stories, art and adverts.

Anytime friend. :blush:

Ah i see! I’m sorry to misunderstand! Then I’ll try to give you a quick summary of sorts.
On Argent Dawn there is more people on Alliance side, but the Horde has enough people to form good communities and RP.
For Alliance, some hubs are:
Stormwind, mostly Cathedral Square. But it may not have the… Best kind of RP, i can say. But can be decent. Trade district is usually filled with OOC people.
Duskwood, which has darker themes in it.
Lakeshire in Redridge.
Feathermoon Stronghold and Astranaar has RP time from time. Although there used to be more.
Note: Avoid Goldshire like a plague. It’s just ERP there and nothing serious or good.

Horde RP is mostly based on guilds, events and Campaigns, rather than hub. But you have Silvermoon and Orgrimmar’s valley of Honor.
Another note: avoid Bazaar and the adjacent Inn, they are same as Goldshire but on Horde. But rest of city is fine.

On some realms, namely US realms, Headcanon lore and many fictional stories are used whicj bend the lore largely. Such things aren’t in Argent Dawn, at least not common. People here try to stick to lore. :slight_smile:

Sometimes server-wide events and Campaigns are held, which are usually announced on forums or Argent Archives.
I hope this was a good summary. Please tell me if i forgot any point, or had any questions.

Mostly discord servers and their channels are used for this purpose. Or party/raid chats whenever people are in a group.

But you you can try to join LFRP channel by typing “/join LFRP” . It’s not commonly used, but can be useful.

That’s actually a nice idea if is to be used! Although instead, Discord text RP channels are used these days. :slight_smile:

It’s a website which people upload the profiles and backstories of their characters, stories, events, arts and alike. :slight_smile:
You can have a look at it!
www.argentarchives.org

Do so if you prefer friend! Even though a guild can make getting into it easier, but do what you prefer. :slight_smile:
There are several communities for it, which are mainly discord ones. :slight_smile:

You can download them from Curseforge!

Sorry for long answer!

2 Likes

Welcome To AD. My name is Dud and you’ll be seeing me a lot, You’ll either hate me to the depths of the earth or Love me.

For “content”, have a look at…

We do a lot of dungeon runs and casual raids, and we are currently working on a level-80 group to do Herald of the Titans, so there’s plenty of alts running around at lower levels.

A lot of us are on AD, so some of us may be able to point you at an RP guild. We have discord, and you can chat to us 24/7 if you like. We aren’t “all about” the RP, but nobody’s likely to mock you for it either :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.