Activision Blizzard to lay off hundreds

Sounds more like from TheOnion to me.:rofl:

https:// www.gamespot .com/articles/activision-games-to-bypass-consoles/1100-6226758/

Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard, Inc. - President and CEO
“I don’t think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games.”

“I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression.”

I know it’s from there. It just sounds like from TheOnion.:joy:

(Plamcia) #237

I was defending Blizzard in Pandaria, and WoD, but now game is just trash. Because only shareholder and marketing matter. They ignoring everything else.

(Tèsla) #238

Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Kotick the wise?

This one?
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-14-game-workers-unite-sparks-calls-to-firebobbykotick-following-activision-blizzard-layoffs

(Mortheria) #240

What is interesting they have record profits but the share price has not really taken off. With other company results and they had broken all their records those stocks rise a lot 10 to 30 % most times. In Activision case 4 to 6 % that’s a raised eyes moment. Why have they not gone up or recovered quickly. Some example Thomas cook 2012/13 went o 14 p a share , within a period of results a year later from 28 p to£ 1. 50 in 10 days. Dixons is the same and some banks. , the list goes on but Activision Blizzard share price is up and down last few days. Is there something yet to come out which the market knows about. Its interesting times ahead , smooth seas or choppy waters.

(Tèsla) #241

This unfortunately wont change anything… a new CEO would have done the same thing…

(Punyelf) #242

To do a link, type in the url, highlight it, then press the </> button.

www.exampleurl.com

You can edit your original post if you wish to do this :wink:

(Tèsla) #243

the weird thing i can post videos thru URL but not images :thinking:

(Dreamkore) #244

I honestly don’t get the whole issue here, people cried and complained for over half a year about Blizzard not communicating with their customers, Blizzard decides to boot all the dead weight that wasn’t doing their job to make way for more development to make more content, another thing the community keeps whining about and now people complain about the fact that they are shaving off unnessecary resources.

Its like the current crowd in this game just doesn’t get pleased with anything.

Just wait and see when classic launches and all the ‘’#nochanges’’ people go on wanting Runescape 2007 style polling updates

(Punyelf) #245

Youtube is a safe site for level 2 trust levels :wink:

That dead weight is still there streaming on his GTA on twitch. They laid off the ones who actually were communicating with customers.

(Tèsla) #247

Jesus. This is one of the big generalization i saw in this poor forum. It’s simple to pontificate via internet. Unfortunately the company way to act is not so easy and direct. We had 300 laid off the last 4 years and not so many were the one who deserve it cuz were bad workers.
And i dont think the moaning constant here affect any of the decisions of the Board (if yes they would have laid Lore off and not Ythisens). Money and strategies talk.
Personally the i find the term “dead weight” insulting and revolting.
And at last: a CM never develop anything.

They are increasing 20% staff on development, so atleast there is a chance that Blizzards starts to pay more attention about the quality of their products. Never understood why they had so much staff working with things that could have been automated like 10 years ago already with right programming.

I have to disagree. If you do bad job you deserve to get sacked. Class Design is the number one thing this game has. It was taken into trashbin after MoP and it really shows.

And quoting myself. This might sound harsh but smiling young femalse with doggies do not improve this game no matter how beautiful art and flowers they can create.

(Punyelf) #251

But they aren’t being sacked. They are being laid off.

If someone is doing a bad job they would get sacked. Being laid off is usually a cost cutting measure or downscaling.

(Jito) #252

It’s sort of the opposite actually. They’re increasing development staff so they can release more games faster. It’s not so they can increase the quality of their games.
I mean, Blizzard’s age-old sentiment is to release something “when it’s ready”. They have – by a longshot – the highest quality standards for any triple A developer in the industry.
What’s going to be interesting to see is whether “release more games faster” can co-exist with “when it’s ready” or not. Quantity versus quality.

I dont think anyone cares about their other games. WoW is the reason we are here. Putting money on other products is foolish. This game deserves much much more.