Advice on moving to hunter

Hi all.

So I’m looking for a new class I have mained dk’s, Pally’s and War’s in the past.

Im thinking of moving to hunter. I was hoping for people’s take on Hunters place now, I was thinking of trying survival. All pros and cons welcome.

The class is generally a very mobile class.

For leveling, especially if you level as BM, you won’t really have to much trouble with…anything really.

Both BM as well as Survival relies on the use of pets. The pet AI can be a bit wonky at times. But can be dealt with fairly easily.

MM has the option to play without a pet out if you prefer that.
That spec is less mobile than the above ones though.

Damage-wise, we do okay with all specs. Nothing amazing but also not worthless either.

Beyond the above, I can only recommend that you try it out for yourself.

If you like a class with a lot of focus on ranged weapons combined with pets, or without a pet. Or if you prefer a melee-spec combined with using a pet. You have all those options here.

Have any specific questions? Feel free to post them below.

Thanks for the reply.

I think Al just give them a wirl.

A question though. How do hunters tend to fair with hot fixes and patches do they tend to hold steady or are they prone to ups and downs?

In bfa at least we’ve almost Always been middle of the pack for now, we’re decent and can do everything without much of a problem, so if they don’t decide that they hate us we should be good.

Like Chapchap said, the class in general tends to be around the middle or slightly below. There has been some periods where we have a spec at the top.

While sure, compared to some other specs we are not the top performers, but if there’s any class who can easily deal with pretty much any mechanics while at the same time keeping the damage up at a decent level, it’s the Hunter.

But honestly, as long as you don’t aim for competitive play or aiming for the highest possible keys in M+, it doesn’t matter much what you choose to play as.

Differences in performance are more perception problems rather than actual problems that has to be fixed in order for your chosen spec to in any way be viable in e.g. content.
(Note that I’m not including specific talent options in this. Some talents that are a part of the class are atrocious and most certainly needs fixing. Example: Animal Companion).

BfA is really the only expac we’ve been in middle and below, every other expac (barring classic) we’ve been middle and above, usually with one dominating specc (ex. MM hunter in HFC or BM in SoO).

Rest of your post is spot on though.

Guess I should’ve clarified what specs and periods I meant that were times where we performed well. Yes you’re right, there are a few(more than).

Anyway, not getting into that now as this part of history matters less.

I should mention like above, that the class in general does well with dealing with mechanics during fights.
A downside due to later trends in terms of fight design is that we see many of them where it’s favorable to be able to multi-dot or deal with several spread out targets at once. This is not something that the class does well with.

Focusing down targets and stacked AoE, we can deal with.

But the above, not so much. And until we get some extensive changes to existing specs or until we get something like:

#[Suggestions updated] Pre-Legion Survival [4th spec]

…I don’t see the situation changing anytime soon.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have been playing around with all the specs. I quite like marksman to be honest though at level 30 im finding it some what lacking in dungeons but it dominates open world. Is this the case for MM at max level too?

if we talk about normal or heroics, everything is good, don’t even worry about it. If we’re talking Mythic+ then you’ll have an easier time and slightly higher dps with Beast mastery, but MM is still pretty good and completely viable. you won’t have a problem with either of them so just play what you want. with a bit more effort you’ll still pull high numbers during dungeons too don’t worry.

Thanks for the info. Im not a big raider tbh I do some low tier stuff but not mythic. I do however pvp but I imagine BM will be best for that due to the range and mobility but im way off that yet so al figure that out at a later date.

For casual pvp BM is more then enough, but if you want to do ranked arena’s survival is the only viable spec, on battlegrounds MM can work, but don’t even try it in arena, you’re gonna have a bad time ahah.

Thats good to know. I really only do RBG’s and I never go ranked. I might give MM a shot when I get geared enough.

Thanks for all the advice its really helped.

Hunters in general are very fun, they i woud still say are hard to master due to bugs terrain and various other things bjt we have a ton of fun interactions and honestly being able to switch from melee to ranged and vice versa is amazing.

Like most here i miss the old ranged survival alot but melee is very fun still you even have an opttion if you grind to play almost fully ranged with serpent and bombs and a sting but you need to get lucky on traits.

Id say go for it i think the specs are all unique and all very fun, MM is awesome in BGs if you make a suging shots / focus fire build you cab open with a aimed then double tap rapid fire for a near instant kill very fun.

BM i have always hated but since returning i think its great now. Go for haze of rage and primal instincts if you want some serious burst potential.

Venimous fangs is my favourte for survival the pets damge olus your mongoose is serious threat.

Its notoriously always been tough to some extebt as a hunter in pvp but we are always fun imho.

On that note you can solo mythic 0s in bfa as BM so you ca. Have some fun there too

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.