Amd rx 5700 xt (random black screen and stuttering)

I experience random black screens and occasional stuttering in game, the GPU has been tested it works great in other games, I only experience this problem after updating my driver as WoW has given me a notice that I must update the GPU driver in order to play. I have a brand new RX 5700 XT GPU and did not have problems in BFA (on the 20.4.2 version of the driver). Please help. This problem only occurs while playing WoW.

System specs: CPU: i7-9700K @5.0Ghz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix z390 E-gaming
GPU: Aorus RX 5700 XT GDDR6
RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4
Liquid Cooler: H100i Platinum SE
Storage: Corsair force MP510 480 GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x 4 M 2-SSD
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Hey man same issue here any fix?

Hey I’ve tried rolling back the driver to 20.4.2 … but now it says again with the warning message when i log into the game to update the graphics driver. No fix yet, keep you updated if I manage to get a reply from the GM or I find a solution , whichever comes sooner.

Same issue here. But on a Radeon Pro 450. Seems to be a general issue and not only limited to RXs.

Though I didn’t get the update driver notice

Hey , it is definitely Software (driver) related issue. I have had this before in BFA and the only fix was rolling back the graphics driver to an earlier version (20.4.2) , however if I fiddled too much with the general settings I would experience stuttering and black screens, therefore I could never fully utilize the full power of my GPU. I believe it is some conflict between the AMD drivers and Blizzard in-game “recommended” settings. It is strange that it let you through without the notice I got prompted straight away and still get the notice if I log in.

Thanks man. Mine only happens occasionally like maybe twice in the past 24 hours but still frustrating. Thanks for your help.

I also have a RX 5700 XT (Sapphire Nitro+) I had some sudden black screens when the card was new (about 6 months ago), it just “lost contact” for some crazy reason, i had to unplug and replug my Displayport cable to knock it out of its funk. It has not happened in the last 2 - 3 months though. I am running the latest driver (20.9.2), and did experience a bit of stuttering myself (i think it had to do with the “Radeon Chill”, which sort of powers down your vid card… i went into the settings and just set the FPS values where i wanted them, and the stuttering disappeared (open the Catalyst program —> Gaming — WoW —> Radeon Chill min/max DPS values.).

Hoping that helps… as for the “black screen” thing, i searched for it when it happened to me the first time almost half a year ago, and it was a big thing, and nobody had a clue what caused it, not even AMD.

What FPS would you recommend setting them at ? Do you play with ultra settings for all?

Hi folks!

So if you’re having stuttering issues, I’d recommend you first try these steps:

Yours,

Arythwinn

No, i do not play with ultra settings, i’ve toned it down (mostly to keep fan noise down). I’ve set FPS between 45 and 65, that flows nicely on my computer, and it doesn’t attempt for 200 FPS, driving heat up, etc :slight_smile:

Thanks! That will help me loads!

Dear all in this post, it seems like that the new Driver is the culprit for causing the above issues… that is 20.9.2. I have found a temporary solution, I play WoW at 144FPS as I have a V-sync monitor at 144hz with 1ms. I have set the FPS values to cap at this FPS in the advanced graphics settings. The anti lag and image sharpening options are turned on, however, RadeonChill, RadeonBoost, and RadeonEnhanced sync is all disabled.

The only way the stuttering and black screen goes away is if you roll back your graphics card drivers to 20.4.2. After, logging into WoW it will once again prompt the notice that your graphics drivers are out of date but you can just ignore it and log in to the world normally. However, this is just a temporary fix and Blizzard still need to sort it out so that the game becomes compatible with the new driver and such phenomenons are resolved permanently. I have also previously tried running everything in Ultra settings and WoW just cannot handle it, the recommended settings are also faulty and you will likely experience similar or the same exact issues if you play according to what Blizzard recommends for your AMD GPU.

1 Like

Thank you have used these settings and it’s helped.

1 Like

Dear Arythwinn,

While these troubleshoot steps work normally, these are specific problems and most likely everyone has completed these steps as suggested in the link you posted. This in itself does not help to resolve any of the issues that we experience. These are specific faults of the newly updated AMD driver conflicting with WoW.exe. Also this article you posted regards players that experience FPS drops, whereas the problems that we experience happen at even high fps and completely separately to “FPS drops”, the game behaves fine, until it randomly starts stuttering or randomly going black when moving around the world.

dont update the driver to beta releases. Give it more time and just use the recommended version.
The black screen or stutter is probably due to a setting in the amd software. go to the Virtual Super Resolution /upscaling etc settings page and change each option , by trial and error, one of these will be the issue. my system boots to a black screen, i have to restart most boot up’s when super res is on

hey guys - same stuttering problem with 5700xt here - it seems AMD has released a new driver with support for shadow lands and so far (hope it stays that way :)) no more stuttering!

hope this helps

big sorry for double post but there is no way to edit:

as soon as I went back ingame (minimized) I instantly noticed stutters…

sigh