Apple M1 Game Freezing

Hello,

I experience random game freezes since Friday. I can’t press anything when this happens but sound and other applications continue to work (I still hear ingame sound and can communicate with my friends on Discord). The only way to get out of this state is to restart the computer as I cannot Force Quit WoW, there are no changes whatsoever possible to my screen. I searched the US forum and one person said setting Vertical Sync -> On solved the problem and I am going to try this out, but I wanted to report the bug here as well. Maybe some other EU Mac users have the same problem and found a solution.

System Specs:
Chip MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
Memory 8 GB
macOS Big Sur 11.2.1

1 Like

Same problem here - i have approx 100-120 fps but the game is laggy and screen is stuttering. Playing with vsync on helps however pvp with vsync is a nightmare because of input lat. @Blizzard please is there any way to fix it?

It’s happening in FinalFantasy and also to some productivity apps which make use of a 3D viewport of sorts, it’s a problem with Apple’s display driver so you should file a bug report with them, although i am sure they are aware of it.

You could also try installing 11.3 beta if you are brave enough, some people are reporting that it fixes some of their display glitches.

The performance of the game has deteriorated greatly after the update to 9.0.5.
Graphics: M1 8 core
Processor: M1 8 core
Memory: 8GB

Will this problem be solved? The gameplay has fallen to the impossible. From 60 pfs it dropped to 30-40. The settings in the game have not changed. Just updated to 9.0.5

Not over the weekend. If it’s something bigger it may be around reset day.

This thread is for a different problem that’s causing monitor crashes when v-sync is disabled and which probably can’t be fixed by Blizzard.

Hello, I just wanted to report that I have the same problem.

After 9.0.5. patch I have experienced some serious performance issues (recommended graphics settings fallen from 5 to 2 and my Mac is still overheating even with settings at 1) and spontaneous screen freezes which results then to force quitting WoW app.

I have Macbook Pro 13"
BigSur 11.2.3
Graphics: M1 8 core
Processor: M1 8 core
Memory: 8GB

But this issue had been experienced prior to updating my MacOS to 11.2.3.

Thank you in advance for any advice or report of this issue being solved.

1 Like

The screen freeze issue was introduced in 11.1 i think, i don’t remember it before.

You can stop the freezing by enabling v-sync, and if you do that don’t forget to set maximum fps to 60 to avoid unnecessary frame rendering, this should help with the heat issue as well.