Arabic Client

Lol, I know at least some of the CoD games were banned in parts of the Arab World, they’ll have to adjust if they want to invest in that market.

thats actually a fantastic idea!!!

Localizing and adapting your product to a market’s needs is part of developing that product. While many Arabs speak English, a whole lot do not, and those are left out by the lack of localization. It is coming, maybe not this year, maybe not in 4 years, but it is definitely coming. Just like WoW on console.

Indeed, however researched and realistic commercial benefit forecasts, have to be significantly greater than the development and running costs…Just winging it, is not a prudent strategy.

Definitely. As far as games are concerned, you have 2 axes you mainly need to worry about
-does a population have devices to play on
-do they have money to buy games

While China is still a developing market for western developers, and South Korea and Japan being completely satisfied by their local developers… ME has none of that. It is a completely untapped market of developing nations.

They won’t just randomly decide to make an Arabic localization for WoW. They’ll need to do research and a lot of the research is already done. From what I know, Ubisoft will be the first to attempt to capitalize on that market, but it is in the sights of all the big gaming corpos.

If they are testing the market, you can see the appeal of Mobile/Console titles… the cost and delivery should be lower, it allows for some detailed market research and it creates a possible halo effect for other games from the same company.
On a purely pragmatic note, being first into a market carries benefits… but also risks. The temptation is going to be to let someone else take those initial risks, but be prepared to move fast.

I think this is exactly what’s going to happen. From what I know, Ubi is building offices in different parts of the Middle East, with focus on scouting out the market. Were I in their shoes, I’d try first with localizing a game to that market, something like Siege, where there’s not to localize anyway.

Which reminds me - I should download Siege again. Damn I miss that game.

another way of saying you got no proof, are you even arabic xd

WoW in Arabic will be so funny :joy:

With only a few exceptions, English is widely spoken in Arab countries, especially in the Gulf area. I know because I live here.

However, Blizzard knows their data better and if the investment makes sense for them, they will do it. I support your thread anyway, I don’t see any issues with this request.

Can’t resist to post this

3 Likes

Lmao, I’m a Muslim but I thought it was hilarious.

I don’t think everyone will find it funny though, you might want to take down the video so you don’t get reported.

I used to work with english/arabic shopping website. It was some really hard job to make everything fit RTL/LTR layouts.

I suppose the challenge for wow would be insane, not because of translations but because of RTL.

Aint gaming haram in the eyes of Allah?

Nope. I think that would be Gambling.

It’s from a comedy, he won’t be punished for sharing a scene about language barriers on a post about Languages :sweat_smile:

Yes. Apart from Wikipedia links (see below), I personally visited Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and UAE. When I was in shops, restaurants, etc I had to communicate in English most of the time because workers didn’t speak Arabic. Business meetings I attended were also conducted in English because at least half the attendants were non-Arabic speakers and English was the common language everyone could understand.

I am from Egypt and Egyptian Arabic is my native language. I studied Standard Arabic in school (Standard Arabic is taught in school in all Arab countries). So I also speak Standard Arabic fluently.

Quote from wikipedia page about Qatar:

Quote from wikipedia page about UAE

Quote from wikipedia page about Kuwait

Quote from wikipedia page about Bahrain

Quote from wikipedia page about Oman

Quote from wikipedia page about Saudi Arabia

Lol why is the right guy speaking Hebrew?

Yeah, they also live in tents, ride camels and are too busy plagiarizing date temples.

Doubt they have time to deal with online games, they got a date temple to worship ( and then eat ).

You’d need a realm or two to go along with the client as realms only accept the languages they are configured for.

Like try configuring your WoW to Chinese then login, your base English realm won’t let you connect.

Honestly, I doubt it in this case. Now, Arabic is not tied to one country, but you get closer and closer to targeting specific middle eastern countries. And that eventually brings with certain legal obligations, I doubt they are willing to go that far for a relative small profit compared to the current situation.