Banned for 10 days for language

Just came back to the game after not having played since January. Swore some in a BG YESTERDAY, just got randomly banned the next day for language for 10 days. Ten. Days. For language ? Are you for real ? What happened to the silence thingy for example ? What happened to a warning or a small sanction? A complete 10 day ban for FOUL LANGUAGE ? What is this, kindergarten ? Jesus Christ what happened to this company ?

8 Likes

Hey there Parabol,

Firstly, I have to say that this is not the place to appeal an action of this type. You can go through the support site to see snippets of what you were reported on and appeal the action there.

I want to also address the “why was it 10 days” question in there. Silences and Suspensions get progressively “worst” the more an account receive. They start out short and will get longer all the way up to permanent account/game license closure.

Severity of your behaviour is not directly taken into account so something “mild” ultimately has the ability to be met with a long silence and/or suspension. It’s not what you said it’s the fact that you’ve broken the Code of Conduct again after being warned multiple times before.

3 Likes

Oh ok, my bad, i submitted an appeal. So how is this system that you have in place actually fair, as a side note ? Shouldn’t there be a just system of judgement based on the severity of the deed committed ? Say you drive over the speeding limit 3 times in a year, should the cops send you to death row the 3rd time because it gets “progressively worse” each time ?

How is this even possible that you COMPLETELY shut down my account for a bunch of swear words addressed in general, not racism, not personal bullying, not xenophobia, not something directly evil at someone? You’re pretty much the only company that has this “gung ho BAN EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING IDGAF” approach.

5 Likes

It’s not something we take lightly and it’s a long road to get down before your account could be close. If you’re not paying attention to the warnings while you go down that road and you see each silence and suspension becoming longer, should someone really be allowed to continue breaking the rules with disregard.

You can always be short tracked to the end should the case be severe enough, but I was making the point that even the small stuff can get an action that appears to be an overreaction. The punishment is as much for the recent behaviour as it is for ignoring the rules, again.

The next time you make a mistake or go overboard with words and someone “overreacts” (as you justify it) and everything turns to crap, remember what you typed here and see if you can accept it as i have to accept it now. Have a nice evening and Merry X-mas.

3 Likes

I think you misunderstood my point there.

Getting a 10 day suspension for something small is seen by the receiving player as the overreaction by Blizzard but it’s not just for their recent behaviour, it’s also for the repeated disregard for the rules. If I repeatedly break the speed limit, I get points on my license. I will eventually lose my license for a period and eventually forever because of that.

Thank you and the same to you and yours.

The fine does get higher and higher and you could get a driving ban, which is more accurate than your analogy.

I for one am glad that Blizzard are banning people for language. Four letter expletives are far too common in this game and not welcome.

Or you could just count to 10 before hitting enter to calm down a bit.

The Terms of Use for chat are very clear on what is and isn’t acceptable.

2 Likes

Let me explain this again as it seems you as well don’t get the point. You don’t get an increased punishment every time you commit a minor infraction in the real world. You drive over the speed limit with a minor amount here in Germany, say 15 km/h, you get a 15-30 Euro fine, regardless if it’s 1 time or 100 times per year. It doesn’t go up in increments. You do some extremely reckless driving, you get in trouble and get points or suspensions and only THEN can you lose you right to drive.

Do you equate saying a bunch of cuss words in chat not directed at someone in particular to “extremely reckless offenses” like racism, xenophobia or direct bullying that would indeed be sanctionable with a complete account closure ? Can you imagine living in real life with such a broken and absurd justice system of getting put to death because you crossed the street in an unmarked place 3 times in a row and the punishment gets worse regardless of the gravity of your offense?

I’m not saying i did right and don’t get to suffer the consequences, but locking an account for 10 days for basic swearing is just over the top BS and no company in this world practices this, it’s just absurd. There is a silence penalty, there is a 1 or 2 day ban each time you say the F or C word sure, there are MILD sanctions for MILD offenses, each handed out based on the gravity. But this is just ridiculous.

Oh and if you want to live in a world without cussing and swear words i’m sorry to disappoint you, but neither the real one or the virtual one will ever be that, you’ll have to accept it and take it in stride and grow a thicker skin or otherwise you can just start locking yourself in a closet and never come out if your feelings are so deeply insulted by an F word. There is no magical fairy tale world where people act perfect to each other and don’t drop a bad word here and there (not saying there isn’t a punishment for it, of course, at least in the virtual one).

4 Likes

Yes, you do in the UK, speeding is three points on your licence and after 12 you get a driving ban. You can end up in Jail if you do it many times. In Germany you do get points on your licence if you speed continually and above 25kph it’s an automatic month ban.

Your strawman is showing again. It is right as the many warnings didn’t stop you so they had to use another method.

The game is not the real world and before you start spouting “Freedom of Speech” it’s Blizzards game, they have set the rules and if you don’t follow them you get a penalty, it starts with a warning and if you don’t heed it your punishment gets worse.

You don’t have to use curse words to get your point across.

1 Like

I’m going to say it one last time, directly and up front since nobody gets it: the punishment system implemented by this company is totally absurd and unfair, with no regard to the level of offense or infraction committed. How do you not understand my point ?

Also, I wonder if you’re as perfect IRL as you try to make yourself sound here. Do you count to 10 in your mind and always think twice before saying something ? Do you weigh your words down to the last one so you don’t ever offend someone or their feelings ? Do you never slip a word and have this moral high ground over others that you can say “i’m so happy people are getting punished for cussing!”? If the answer is yes to all of my questions, congratulations, you’re one of a kind.

8 Likes

I see your point 100%, it’s just that it’s wrong. Blizzard do not take each infraction as it’s own incident but as a growing pattern. Think of it as a logarithmic scale.

I’ve received warnings ingame for language, but unlike you I have taken notice of them and stopped doing it.

And you only get 3 days ban for buying gold xD

So it’s worse to curse at someone than to buy gold. Atleast we can clearly see where blizzard puts their focus …

3 Likes

I’ve only been silenced once in wow and thats because i pissed off a multiboxer, i got 24 hours that got removed after 18 hours in ticket que, OP probably trashtalks on a weekly basis so the penalty got higher

@OP in the future dont act like we do on the forums, its not acceptable in-game, based off your attitude i doubt that it was a false ban

There was no need to bump this thread considering its nature and the fact it was answered a fortnight ago.

The first time, much like the first time you curse someone out you get silenced, not suspended.