Best approach to lvl 25 pets for an achievement?

Hi,

I’m working to completing the Crazy for Cats achievement which requires me to own a bunch of pet cats. Some of these cats can only be obtained by lvl 25 pet battles. The pets I need to obtain through pet battles are: Cat, Cheetah Cub, Fluxfire Feline, Sand Kitten, Snow Cub

I currently don’t have lvl 25 pets but I do have 303 pets in total with a max of lvl 8 (never really did pet battles). Apparently I also have 367 Polished Pet Charms currency and if I’m not mistaken, I can buy 10 Ultimate Battle-Training Stone with those which instantly levels a pet to lvl 25 each. Last, I also did a couple of garrison quests on different characters which gave me 3 Ultimate Battle-Training Stone in total.

My questions:

• What’s the best approach to obtaining the cats? I assume boosting a couple of my pets to lvl 25?
  • How many additional Ultimate Battle-Training Stone should I buy with the Polished Pet Charms to boost my pets to lvl 25 in addition to the 3 I already have?
  • Which pets or family of pets would you recommend I boost with the Ultimate Battle-Training Stones?
  • Not really related to the achievement but any cool stuff or must-buys I should purchase with my Polished Pet Charms?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Something with https://www.wowhead.com/pet-ability=826/weakening-blow. Ideal for capturing pets without accidentally killing them.

Edit: Eek, of course it’s weak against Beast, so maybe not so great for cat hunting…

No problem. I’ve just learned that flying with mechanical abilities is best vs beasts but i’m still curious about the best approach.

I have a whole series on this in the Pet Battles forum. I’ll put them at the bottom in case you’re interested, but you don’t have to go through it all.

One Level 25 Grumpy will take care of most of what you need!

Either Grumpy or Lord Woofington

These two have the combination Howl → Superbark. Using that does a huge amount of damage, BUT CANNOT KILL the target. This is your ideal capturing mechanism for the pet you want to tame.

Set Grumpy up. Use Howl, then Superbark on the pet you want to tame. Then keep throwing the trap until you have captured it. Then just Bark with Grumpy until you have killed the other two. Simples.

For higher level captures, Grumpy would appreciate two solid, Tanky pets to back him up and finish off the rest of the opposition.

Now let’s look at the cats you identified.

Cat: tamed in Ellwyn Forest, these Cats will be about level 3-6. You can tame them easily with a team of level 8 pets, but a Level 25 Grumpy will be plenty.

Cheetah Cub: tamed in Northern Barrens, it will be level 5-7, or lower. As with the Cat, your Level 25 Grumpy will happily clean up the whole opposing team easily.

Fluxfire Feline: From Gnomeregan/Dun Morogh, these are like level 3 IIRC. Again, Grumpy will make short work of the whole opposing team.

Snow Cub: Same as Fluxfire.

Sand Kitten: From Tanaris. Tanaris pets will be Level 14-15ish. While your 25 Grumpy probably could manage these on his own, this is where he might appreciate some backup. This is where your two other tanky pets come in.

My ideal tanky pets are Anubisath Idol or Void-Scarred Anubisath; P/P breed Emerald Proto-Whelp; P/P breed Emperor Crab. The latter two are high-level tames.

You could buy an Anubisath and throw an Ultimate stone on it, but that might cost a few thousand. I see you have a Lil’ Bling. At level 25, with Inflation, Extra Plating, and Make it Rain, he will be more than plenty for some Level 14s. Use Make It Rain, then Extra Plating, then Inflation, in that order.

Anything else you want to know, or any help you need, just ask!

Appendix:

From your armoury, you have a Level 70, and I’m guessing you have finished the Campaign and opened World Quests.

You ought to have a quest in the Little Scales Daycare in Valdrakken (sort of hanging off the right side when you come out of Seat; it’s on your map)

This starts a short sequence of quests that reward you with three pets and two Ultimate Battle-Training Stones. You can use the Stones on the pets you get, but you don’t have to; you can use them on others.

Oh. I see you started that, but never got the Shyfly.

Anyway, that chain might be something you look at later.

3 Likes

Wow this is such a great amount of info. Thank you very much for posting this.

I will go ahead and check for Grumpy. Here I am in Netherstorm trying to tame Cat (I just mindlessly misread Wowhead comments I guess) and other pets which are also found at lower level in other zones. Wowhead itself also lists these at lvl 25 but that’s probably just their max lvl. Either way, good to know, makes stuff alot easier :slight_smile: Yeah I got a 70 and I will definitely look up that quest chain.

Cheers for the help, much appreciated :+1:

Oh wow. I didn’t mention. Getting old.

You can buy Grumpy dead cheap at the AH. Then throw a Purple stone on him, and on Lil’ Bling. Buy an Anubisath if it’s a reasonable price and use another stone on him, and you’ve got a very excellent Taming Team.

But a Level 25 Grumpy alone will do most of what you need.

1 Like

Okidokie :slight_smile:

Yes, and check the AH too as some can be bought there, for a price tag of sorts.

I’d buy smaller random training stone bags however, as they cost 2 charms and may contain multiple random stones.

After these, pick your favorite pets that you like (doesn’t matter which as it’s easy to win with any combination of 3 pets except Boneshard…), and focus them with the stone usage.
You know, use all your stones on say, that nice voidling first, and only then move on the that pretty fire elemental for instance.

With these you can get a dozen or even more pets to 25 with ease, enough to collect anything out there :slightly_smiling_face:

With the regular stones, neither. It’s much less XP per token, one pet with only the regular tokens needs like 10 at best if I recall correctly (so 20 charms tops, compared to 30).

1 Like

Annika already has three Purple stones. Might as well use 'em.

Whaaaaaa??? It really, really does matter, especially for your first 40 or 50 pets.

Now, in a sense it doesn’t matter just for taming a handful of low-level cats; as long as you have a 25 Grumpy, you’re golden.

But if we’re getting on to the subject of progression in pets in general, it matters a lot. Of course, you can get there starting with any set of pets (or no pets at all!) but you will progress much faster using a particular set of the most used pets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.