Blizzard made less 27million dollars in 2018 compared to 2017?

So i analysed the earnings reports and came to this conclusion.
Im here asking for help to know if this is true or not.
Lets check the charts shall we?

First this image
https://i.imgur.com/cn9Uu1Z.png

Blizzard made 686M in revenue
Blizzard made 241M in “Operating Income”
(operating income is the revenue LESS the costs and expenses. Its the profit, the actual money Blizzard made)

We can confirm the numbers here on this image: (search for the numbers 686 and 241 right up there at red)

https://i.imgur.com/bNYRLM3.png

Everything checks out perfectly for the last 3 months of the quarter
-Blizzard made 15% more revenue in 2018 which leaded to a 50% increase in profit (operating income)
-Blizzard made more 81M dollars in 2018 compared to 2017 IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS OF THE QUARTER

BUT

If you check “Year Ended” numbers…which are the numbers for the entire year…you will see Blizzard made LESS 27 Million dollars in 2018 compared to 2017.
Meaning Blizzard only saw good results in the last 3 months. BUT they lost money in the entire year.

Any thoughts?
Can someone experienced plz analyse this?

There are various ways to post links. I find the easiest is to put in the url, highlight it then press the </> button.

www.yourlinkwilllooklikethis.com

Thank you @Punyelf :smiley:
I updated the OP with the links :slight_smile:
I have been nerding out about this for a while.
Im kinda obsessed about it…i need to give it a rest

1 Like

That looks like the correct interpretation.

However, For WoW at least, August 2018 was when BfA was actually launched. The costs of that launch and preparation thereof (advertising, marketing, increased staff/dev costs etc) would have been journalled in the earlier quarters of 2018, which means that some of those earlier quarters would quite normally have an operating loss. Obviously the expectation is that the sales that come in on subsequent quarters then offset that.

Of course what we don’t know is what part of those incomes and profits are from WoW alone, one could suspect that the BfA launch helped suck up a fair bit of operating loss from other blizzard franchises.

I’m not a finance expert but that’s how I see it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.