Buff Grief

For Hardcore servers, players should only be able to receive player buffs if you accept to be in a group together.
This should also include scrolls and other items that buff players on the same faction.
It should function the same as how you can not buff an orc player if you are gnome.
Being able to buff players while in open world can be used as a method to grief players on the same faction.

Example 1 - a mage blinks into 12 mobs and then buffs you with a rank 1 arcane intellect, putting your warrior in combat with those mobs. The mage ice blocks next to you and the 12 mobs blame you. Try again?

Example 2 - a rogue sprints into mobs and then throws a rank 1 scroll of protection at you, putting you in combat. Then vanishes next to you. Your warlock is now full of diseases. Rogues really do pick everything up from the floor, how ironic.

Example 3 - a paladin on a horse… just log out m8.

Buffs from other players being limited to groups should have always been apart of SSF. You are not truly naked if wearing other players buffs.

1 Like

This is how the community is going to deal with the bots for themselves :wink: … well… those that aren’t either flying or under the ground, hah.

1 Like

Hello. We tested these examples:

And found they did not confer threat.

Were there any other specific spells or items that you’ve seen used in this way on the PTR?

8 Likes

Hello Kaivax
Thanks for the reply.
I have truthfully not tested the examples that I gave personally, but I am glad to hear that this has been tested to make sure something like this will not happen to anyone.
My main concern was being put in combat by another player with a threat dropping ability such as ice block, blessing of protection, vanish or feign death. Going back to the paladin on a horse example: If the paladin was to pull mobs whilst mounted without causing any additional threat to the mobs and then bubble near you, then it should be 100% safe? And if buffed/healed before the bubble it should have the same outcome and not put you in combat whatsoever? Whilst on the topic it would be great to know that healing spells cannot accidently or intentionally place you in combat. I think I can remember being put in combat from a priests renew, but this was months ago and not on the PTR.

Unless they’ve deliberately changed this behavior since I last tested it, a mob getting near you still puts you in combat and on the threat table.

This mean in your example the mage could kite the mobs past you and then ice block.

Yes that is exactly what I thought when I created this topic. The buffs might not cause threat (even though I am 99.9% sure they do) but they will put you in combat. Threat and combat do not necessarily function the same. Mobs that are close to you can place you in combat without any threat.
Lets say I am fighting one level 36 ogre in alterac mountains, any other ogres of that type which come near the fight (10 yards) will want to attack me after the ice block regardless if I was the one that pulled them. If the mage buffs you first before ice block you will be in combat with whatever he has pulled. I am 99.9% sure that healing causes threat. Paladins can just rank 1 holy light you to place you in combat with mobs they have pulled with minimal threat (hence the rank 1) and then bubble. One swing from your whirlwind axe on the ogre your already attacking should cause more threat than the rank 1 holy light, even after the bubble fades.

i think that would be considered griefing.