Casual just looking for a home?

So I’m just looking for a home, I thought I wanted to be semi-raider but I’m just looking for a community to have friends with, I don’t and haven’t really RP before but I do like the look of the community events and have a willingness to learn.

But I was wondering if this would be the realm for me I know I’m not a true RP’er and was just looking for the friendliest realm to go to. I’ve read the amount of negative feedback to “normies” invading the server and I’d hope it wouldn’t apply in this case.

Though the character I’ve posted on is Horde I’d be Alliance if I did join.

Interest in RP and a willingness to learn go a long way and will almost guarantee you’ll be accepted on this realm. Many RP guilds are both welcoming to newcomers and do PvE/PvP on the side as a group, as long as roleplaying is as much your first interest as it is this realm’s first interest. In this post are a few to choose from:

3 Likes

I will be honest I’m not entirely sure that RP would be my first interest, it would def be my second but I really don’t know.

You don’t have to be high / max level to RP. I suggest giving it a go with a low level toon and seeing if it clicks with you.

2 Likes

Could have a look at Eminence, if PvE with RP in your own time sounds appealing.

2 Likes

Well Melza, allow me to provide an alternate perspective.

Roleplaying in wow in its most basic form is about taking the story of Warcraft as it is being told, and imagining your character as one of the adventurers/heroes out in the world. A Dwarf with a dwarf-sounding name and an awesome transmog set can be roleplaying as a fierce warrior of the Dwarven Clans and a Champion of the Alliance… even if all they did was actual content, PvP, PvE, dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, quests. The story of that dwarf is inside their player’s head, but it does not make it any less of a good story.

Immersion is a thing on the roleplaying servers. The most basic rule of RP realms is that your character name needs to be fantasy-sounding, not a reference to Real Life, other fantasy genres or composed of 3 or more words. “Bonechewer” is still a perfectly sounding fantasy name.

Heavy Roleplayers (most that recruit to dedicated RP guilds) take it a step further and think of a story to their character, where they are from, what do they aspire for, what kind of person they are and toss themselves to interact with other players, creating an illusion of actual living and breathing denizens of Azeroth. They usually picture their character as something a bit less heroic and flock in guilds that might, for example, try to roleplay Trolls as accurately as possible as given in lore and go on wild adventures to hunt some heads to shrink.

What makes it enjoyable? Well, the same reasons you might enjoy reading a good book, except that your character is also a person in the story and has a direct impact where the story goes. Roleplayers are all storytellers in some shape or form.

You are also correct that roleplaying servers (in general) are much more relaxed and mature environments to play. That is also why I personally came to RP servers years ago.

Being a casual player and not really knowing about roleplaying is fine. As long as you do not intentionally disrupt those who do roleplay and try not to break their immersion, you two can coexist just fine.

When you feel comfortable, you can always go and attend to some of the public RP events. Plenty are advertised over forums, and on the Argentarchives website (which is an external, AD focused roleplay supporting site).

13 Likes

Ooh, this is a nice explenation, nice one. :smiley::+1:

This is the perfect answer for me, I felt that as a RP realm that RP was heavily enforced thoughtout the game world leaving little for PVE/PVP but the idea that I could just create a hero and lite story without going into heavy RP feels like the perfect balance.

I mean what better way to cooldown than to join a community event it sounds like a blast to me and a place to actually learn more about RP in general.

I like to think that I’m mature enough to leave people to their own enjoyment and would never infringe on anyone elses enjoyment of the game.

I have to say I’m entirely blown away on what Argentarchives has done for the community, I’ve never seen anything like it for the game.

1 Like

Hi there!

I’m just here to agree with Tiefsul’s assessment. I came into Argent Dawn as a bored PvE player to try out RP, and it’s been a blast. That being said, there are plenty of guilds out there that are “agnostic”, for lack of a better term. They’re fine with players RPing as much or as little as they like, run raids and all that good stuff.

I wish you luck in finding a community that you’ll feel right at home in!

:eyes: That is one face I did not expect to find here.

1 Like

We have met here before, but under different names. :eyes:

:eyes: The plot thickens….

1 Like

I think… some people will try to tell you that it is, that if you’re not IC all the time you’re doing it wrong…

But truth is, I feel like that’s gatekeeping. Telling people that they must RP all the time and be serious about it is a great way to turn away someone who just wants to try it out and see how it feels.

I play D&D with an emphasis on the RP, I will banter IC in WoW if the opportunity shows up, and I try not to spoil other peoples’ RP moments; but would struggle to commit to an organised event schedule and I do still want to run raids and dungeons. So I’m part of a guild of similar minded people, and we ‘play the game’ while also joining in RP as and when it suits us.

I feel like this is a good place for me, and fortunately most of the server, as above, is ok with those of us who want to have some balance of RP opportunities and gameplay :slight_smile:

(Also, I have seen some of the dumbass spontaneous RP conversations that happen in the cathedral district and… it ain’t nearly as srs bsns as some people claim. There are some very weird, silly, and funny things that go on there.)

1 Like

Notice how it only goes on in cathedral square because the rest of the world has been made unplayable by OOCers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.