Character virtues?

In the spirit of my other thread, let’s talk about the best aspects of our characters. Their strongest point that make them the capable folk that they are. This needn’t be what makes them good nor noble in any sense, just their better traits.

2 Likes

Tyram often seems a bit simple or slow, this is actually due to the fact he goes over each word and action with a fairly empathetic streak; his empathy has long lead him to great diplomatic prowess. His honourable disposition too has made him a very good friendly face in discussions between the alliance and Horde.

Laurenn’s positive traits would probably be her curiosity and determination. The two have led her to becoming a capable mage and obtaining a lot of knowledge in her field. She’s not the type to give up unless the odds are really stacked up against her and when she attempts to do something, she’ll give it her absolute best. That determination is also probably why she hasn’t gone fully insane because of the void whispers yet.

She’s also not bad at keeping her calm under stressful situations and is to an extent talented when it comes to spellcasting.

One of Uruk’s positive traits is his pragmatism. He’ll work with most people regardless of whether he likes them or not, if their goals are the same. And unlike many other DKs, he won’t just let the living die if he can help it. He sees no reason to just let them die a pointless death, so he’ll usually do what he can to make sure that his allies stay alive. That makes him quite reliable.

One of Marinya’s virtues is her capacity for compartmentalising. A direct product of her mental exercises and disassociation from the horrors of reality, she neatly sorts problems to deal with them individually in a focused and professional manner that typically keeps her from the pitfalls of arrogant ambition. This somewhat insulates her resolve against the darkness.

Additionally, she has a considerable empathy toward children for what it’s worth.

Oh boy, that’s actually hard.
It’s a good thought exercise though.

I actually had to cut stuff from my reply on the flaws thread, because I felt like I was gushing over my characters instead of dissing them. It’s weird how I’m having a hard time thinking of what to say on a thread that is somewhat supposed to be gushing over chars.

So, to make it easier, I’m going to separate each response to two parts.
One, elaborating on virtues people attribute to my characters after having interacted with them, and two, virtues I myself want to focus on while portraying them.

Welp, let’s start with Lyth again.
From feedback, the most prevalent one I’m getting, (surprisingly enough, considering he’s a demon hunter) is that he’s a really good parent. I’ve gotten the luck and privilige of having another player RP his daughter, and no, don’t worry, it’s not child RP, she’s very much an adult.
I had no idea how I was going to portray him being a father at first, but it yielded amazing and very much needed character development over time. It’s also a good subject to think about for long lived races; if you spend just 20 years as a child, then live for hundreds of years as an adult, while your parent has the same, how does the relationship work out? Do they distance themselves after a while? Or is the bond stronger? The parent spends more time as a fit adult instead of growing old by the time their child gets there. Is that beneficial or detrimental towards the relationship of the parent and child? If one asks Lyth about it, he would say being a parent to an adult, even if they don’t live together, it doesn’t reduce the responsibilities, only changes them.

Now, from my own judgement, Lyth’s best virtue something I like to call his intelligent honour.
He’s very often blunt, brutish, gruff and appearing simple minded. He speaks his mind and acts straight forward, but at the same time, he also doesn’t shy away from deception and lying.
I find his versatility for behaviour depending on the situation to be very interesting to RP. He can be warm, caring and attentive to one person, a straight up brutish jerk to another, while he laughs and jokes around with a third, all in the same day.
He knows what he wants and isn’t afraid to act without hesitation to get it.
But then again, he’s also fiercely loyal to the people he really gets close to, and holds up his own, subjective moral code without fail.

Next, Khaly from feedback, this is going to be two shorter ones. Well, firstly, people just call her cute. Her blunders and goofiness can easily be found adorable.
And secondly, she being portrayed accurately as a demon hunter. I’m, sure no one regular on AD needs to be explained that point. DHs are a laughing stock because most of them are ERPers or trash RP that tries living out their power fantasy. So someone with a bit of lore knowledge and less special snoflakeyness seems to be a rare sight that’s pretty appreciated.

Her virtue from my point of view is almost exactly the same as her flaw. But, if I just mentioned her immaturity and simple mindedness, it would not do justice to her intricacy. One would have to extensively interact with her to fully understand, but essentially, she’s not intelligent, but she’s still smart. She’s not a stupid woman, while she can be goofy and act childish, she’s also not a stranger to responsibility and can make some very successful quick thinking.
She takes initiative if she’s sure it’s the right thing to do in that moment, even if she makes a mistake, she’d rather she does, than to have done nothing. Inaction can sometimes be worse than making the wrong decision.
So to summarize, her willingness and bravery to act would be the virtue I attribute to her.

Xanah, from player feedback. Uhh…
Okay, that’s a hard one. I could mention the OOC feedback for me that I RP a demon somewhat decently, but that wouldn’t really be her virtue. So let’s transform that into her open mindedness. She’s a demon that has been aligned with the Legion up until Sargeras’ imprisonment, then, she just switched sides because her masters were defeated and she saw greater gain to herself, allying with azerothians than continuing a failed crusade.

And I agree, pretty much. Only, maybe add that her loyalties aren’t as shaky as that statement makes it. It’s unlikely she would switch sides again if the Old Gods take over or the Legion comes back and wins or something like that.

Virtue #2 is clearly selflessness. Certainly not to an irrational self destructive extreme but it takes a certain kind of person to dive into demonology with the explicit purpose of academically understanding the Enemy and doing the things necessary to prevent more harm so that others won’t have to suffer the predations of the Legion.

As mentioned in her flaws, part of her dives deep into the dark in some desperate atonement for failing her homeland and people but it all has purpose. She’d get along well enough with the demon hunters, sympathetic to their sacrifice with a humility toward the cause.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.