Corruption, not so bad after all

Hey hey before you comment that im an idiot hear me out real quick. I think corruptions are great but not for the reason you think. I think acquiring corrupted gear is just stupid, especially the part about having to grind resistance to even equip gear and to do that grinding you have to grind to even get access to a vision. I understand the underlying concept behind it that you should farm resistance to get access to great new effects but when the gear drops when you have 20 corruption resistance and you are timegated too even raise that resistance its a really bad feeling. As someone that came back about a month ago after stopping just after Uldir i felt it was absolute ?*#%& to grind all the essences and corruption to just get into a heroic Ny’alotha for the mount and achievement.

Still even though the systems have a lackluster execution that deters players with even some resemblance of a life from wanting to take up the game again i think some of it is still pretty great. Playing tank for example is more fun than ever, i recently took up Blood DK again after getting sick of the eternally shafted Arms (check my other posts but Tldr: Mastery sucks) but ive been really enjoying it. Tanking can often be quite monotonous even for wow but with especially Twilight Devastation i genuinely enjoy tanking. You dont only feel like a godd#%& iron wall but you also have the chance to return fire something, yes its random but that doesnt really matter i think since you should never rely on the tanks dps. Its just another added bonus that although bursty evens out to around 30-40k dmg at the end of the round overall, just seeing enemies healthbar disappear from the pure chonkines of your healthbar is really quite satisfying. As for essences as a small last word, i think they’re what Azerite armor shouldve been. Large effects that although annoying to farm, are farmable (Except for the few idiotically time gated ones)

Well thats just my thoughts on corruption and to a lesser extent essences. I really hope they add Twilight Destruction like effects into Shadowlands as tanking is super fun with it. I do however hope they dont just give us stat blocks like expedient etc.

To be reinforce the point: im not talking about the corruption system only the corruption effects.

EDIT: Maybe add the loved unique effects as legendary effects?

1 Like

I don’t know, to me TD has some drawbacks as well, sure its fun when it procs cause it does massive damage but it also cause problems, just yesterday during a guild run for Nya’lotha I was tanking N’zoth and my TD procced about 5 seconds in, it was the other tanks job hwoever to tank psychus at that point TD hit pulled agro and made Pychus stop (I was hitting a tentacle) causing the creep to drop in the wrong spot and causing a wipe cause it was now on the bodies of the entire raid.

It is kinda fun but the completely random nature of it can cause problems simply because there is no way to control it, solution for now is that I am not allowed to hit anything until the first creep drops, which works yes but is not particularly fun.

Its also a balancing nightmare (look up 30 Mages vs Nya’lotha if you want to know why giving massive secondary stats to classes is maybe not a good idea :P)

Yeah it does have its drawbacks but personally i think thats part of the game with corruptions, you are getting a ton of free damage so things like that should be expected. However my favourite part is the damage in general, it could probably be stuck onto a covenant ability with a cd that mimics the TWD proc ratio or something.

And with the stat blocks, yes remove them pls since classes will always scale differently with differing amounts of stats. Just going all mastery is kinda stupid.

I do think it is more fun to make your character itself stronger with stats than with random damage procs that can wipe your party :slight_smile:

Edit:
Additionall healers are forgotten in this corruption mess. Where are my bonus heals? Why do i have to use damage corruption that only procs on damage abilities? Why can i not get a tentacle friend while healing my party?

2 Likes

Yeah stats in general are cool but when someone can just stack + 168% Mastery i think its a bit over the edge. In a pure gearing sense i get that stats > corruption and i agree. I was more focusing on trying to carry over effects LIKE twillight destruction not twillight destruction exactly. Maybe make it shorter so you dont ninja, add it onto a cd that you can use that has around the same uptime or a bit less than the average proc chance of twd now. Sorry if i was a bit unclear on that point.

EDIT: I agree with the healer point, theyve been forgotten. Getting some cool healing explosions like maybe a discount Halo (coolest healing ability in the game) would be nice.

I think corruption should at least show people that the game doesn’t have to be balanced to be fun.
As you say, acquiring them isn’t great. It could be done so much better. But once you get them man is it fun.

Seeing massive TD’s tear through things, stacking full stats to amplify your class to ridiculous levels and just doing fun things.

Now, it is way over board. People reaching 100% vers, the gap between geared and fresh 120’s is absolutely absurd, I think corruption is bad but the concept that balanced equals fun is disproved with this system, as bad as it.

This is what I long for in WoW.
I just wish it was more about getting an amazing weapon, trinket, or tier set opposed to random enhancements.

Let’s see:

• The unreliable nature of corruptions: bad
  • The annoying random slow: bad
  • The annoying random eye: bad
  • Any other negative corruption effect: bad
  • Being forced to use corruptions because it’s easily 20 to 30% of your damage output: bad
  • Being forced to play horrific visions because otherwise you can’t be on par with the rest in terms of dmg output: bad
  • Twilight Devestation looks cool: good

Conclusion: corruption is utterly terrible. Bad design, never want to see it again. It ruins the fun in WoW, especially because it’s hard to obtain and hard to try something new.

2 Likes

I think you missed all the points i made, im saying all those things and im recommending keeping corruption like effects like twd, echoing etc (add some for healers too) and instead make them farmable maybe like MoP legendary cloaks. They could possibly also be added as legendary effects. Im not talking about the corruption system as a whole, just the unique effects.

I’m glad you’re having a good time with it, but I still hate it.

1 Like

I just dropped all my Twilight Devastation to go Mastery corruption so that I no longer have to rely on RNG procs to do damage.

I hate everything about the corruption system. How you acquire it, how it works, how it kills you etc etc. I can’t wait to see the back of it.

6 Likes

Again im not talking about the system. I’m simply talking about Twillight devastation in particular as its own isolated effect. I agree the Azerite, Essence and Corruption systems leave things to be desired.

If we ignore the system and at least read the whole post where i suggest making a TWD like ability stuck to a legendary/talent/something which has CD that mimics the amount of TWD procs per minute we have now i think it could be good.

Myself im not too bothered by the random proc chance as many abilities we have in game as nightfall, overpower etc are reliant on it but i understand some people like that rigidity.

Having the thing from beyond follow you all over the place doesnt seem that much fun to me , even if you get a huge damage increase , all in all its a terrible system and I hope it never comes back. Titanforging was much better than this.

1 Like

RNG damage is a horrible system IMO. I described that I dislike every aspect of Corruption including other things but RNG damage is horrible. It’s not about how well someone does or does not play. It’s purely about how many times did this random ability proc and devastate everything in it’s path.

1 Like

Like… idk how you are missing it but im not defending the rng nature of TWD or corruption. Im just saying the effect of it doing alot of dmg based on % hp in neat and i would like to see it again with a shorter than 5 min cd.

I agree with this, and also because of the impact. TD is like 20% of the damage, or even more for tanks. When it would be 2% we can all laugh about it.

But we play proc craft anyway;
Vision of perfection proc,
Corruption proc,
Azerite traits proc,
Trinkets proc,
bonusses from players in your party procs,

Where does this end…

Again read pls im not talking about the corruption system im just talking about TWD. The system is its own little thing and horribly flawed as some classes can ignore it completely while others suffer.

So basically just like trinkets, a unique on demand or passive effect. There’s nothing new about that.

I rather not take tanks with TD after 8.3, TD pulls so much unwanted stuff because you have no control over it.

But TWD in most cases comes at the price of having a high corruption which means you probably have to deal with the thing from beyond which is a pain.

Yeah i agree a lot of things are too dependent on procs. Might not be too noticeable since i usually raid more than i do M+.

With my max cloak i can use TD 3, Severe 3 and 3x ineff 1, and still stay below 40. And yes, i got this build available.