Data folder size

The Data folder in my World of Warcraft directory has 62.3 GB. Is that right?

1 Like

Mine is around 71Gb, others have reported theirs as even higher or even lower.

The patch for 8.1 was around 16Gb, so it was a massive patch. The same size as the launch patch, but I suspect this isn’t due to the content in it but more so the system changes.

If your game works, and there’s no errors it sounds about right given that the patch tonight will probably overwrite a lot of the data and will really only be 1-2Gb actual patch content data.

I read somewhere some versions of Windows 10 (older versions) give incorrect calculations when calculating space.

EDIT: apparently it doesn’t overwrite any data and you don’t get any diskspace back according to users on US forums, so it looks like the 16g is in addition to what is currently on your drive in the WoW folder.

They scoff. PTR 51 Gb, Live 73 Gb. I’m afraid to imagine how much space the patch 8.2 will take.

Yeah, it is massive. I ran out of space on my primary disk while downloading the new patch so I uninstalled Steam to free up about 60 GB.

Thanks.

1 Like

Could Blizzard please get their post-patch clean-up tool to work with the new 8.1 folder structure please? I need space on my SSD

1 Like

I don’t think there’s been a proper clean up for quite a while now, unless something was silently changed. The file format change back in WoD is what started it, I had to delete and let the data folder redownload a while back. And it’s looking like I might just do that again soon again…

Yes there is a ton of garbage files left in the client. I redownload the client today and its 54GB, was around 65 before that. From what im hearing its also increasing the load speeds.

if your wow folder is more than 53gb just do a fresh reinstall

or you can delete the data folder and repair to download it again if you dont want to lose your settings etc

seems after the patch blizzard forgot to remove the “trash” files from old wow folder and we are talking about 17gb + useless data and ye the game runs fine like before it just have alot of garbage left after the patch

i first show it in Us forums and i tryed it myself and from 71gb wow folder went down to 53gb full fresh install

I wonder if it depends how long you’ve had WoW installed. I guess most people get new computers reasonably often and full install on them. My current WoW installation was first performed on v5.4, end of Pandaria. It’s been patched a lot since then. lol

I think most people don’t upgrade that often. Even with new computers, I’ve personally not done a full reinstall since… probably BC :stuck_out_tongue:

So how do I use the repair tool?

In Battle-net, on the WoW page, there’s a drop down in the main pane that says “Options |v|”, click the drop down and it should have “Scan and Repair” available.

zone loading times dropped from minutes (ie Dalaran) to seconds on my SATA disc, so I guess it has something to do with those extra 16GB and I am glad for it.In the near future I plan move WoW to new bigger SSD but for now I welcome these changes.

Remember that both screenshots and addons are saved in the wow folder too.
So that can be why people have different sizes. I have an extra 1.3 GB in addons and screenshots.

2 Likes

Addons are largely just text so they’re very, very light. Screenshots aren’t too bad, but mostly nowadays the game is pretty large. Even so, I just deleted and redownloaded the data folder and it’s gone from 77Gb to 59 :grimacing:

2 Likes

yeah you’re right, shouldn’t be that much. Maybe i should try to redownload the game to see how much space i get. Just need to back up my 1.1GB screenshots, or just delete half of them.

But sadly some people do not have fast internet, so i think i will see if you can delete some files manually so you do not have to download 50gb+ or just reduce how much you have to download.