Dead servers MEGATHREAD - Ghostlands/Dragonblights plea to Blizzard

I hope they openly accept the fact that there are less players. This is nothing wrong. Closing/merging servers will ultimately show they care, which will improve the situation and stop one of the reasons some people unsubscribe.

1 Like

Closing no, merging (like they did before) yes. I have probably said it already earlier in this thread, but anyway, if they would close those servers and force transfer people on other servers they would also lose lot of subs on that, when people would lose their names. And it would not necessarily be the ones moving in the new servers, it would probably be based on how long those name clashing characters have existed so anyone in remaining servers would be at risk losing their name as well. Pure speculation on the part of who would get the keep their name, naturally!

2 Likes

I hope something is done to them.

1 Like

If it’s not numerically possible to do then it’s not numerically possible to do it.

It’s stupid even to try.

2 Likes

Having been on Dragonblight since ICC opened, I have sadly seen the best and worst populations of the server’s history. The decline of our server’s is a very sad thing to see.

Thank you to all that have made an effort to highlight it as an issue and have sought a solution to it, especially Vintoleth.

– Theo

1 Like

Am I the only one that thinks Ghostlands being a dead server is hilarious?

3 Likes

Asmon actually visited one of these low on population servers
 Every rare and world boss (including random super rare Cata ones) were up.

Yet they for a reason these servers aren’t closed. How?! Yet I get phased away mid battle!

1 Like

Agreed. It was not numerically possible to do it. Then.

That was then. This is now.

The difference is the removal of PvP servers.

The problem then was that there was a significant faction imbalance between the types of server. PvP realms were about 2:1 Horde, and PvE servers about 2:1 Alliance, AFAIR.

This is an ex-problem.

1 Like

Quite possibly but overrun servers like Kazzak, Silvermoon it’s still not possible because there’s just too many to merge with even the smallest realm. They need to lock them down for the dominant faction. No new players, faction changes or transfers.

However the quote was to do with the previous merges.

1 Like

while the spawn time was reduced sometime towards the end of Legion iirc, these are still fairly hard to get cause they all drop VERY rare tailoring and jc recipes (top hat and ruby shade things which are very sought after by transmoggers) which shows how bad some servers actually get that ALL of them can be up.

these realms dont need a merge. all they might need is an option for ALL the lower factions players to leave and join another server.

silvermoon for example:

• alliance should have NO problem doing ANY content. they dont need a merge.
  • horde should be allowed to move to a new server for free. Alliance outnumber Horde 24,411 to 1,406 (source: wowrealmpopulations. com)
  • while silvermoon should be able to complete ANY content, and Horde should be able to complete NO content, this is not the case on many low/medium pop servers. on most of those servers, neither faction can do much progression. hence, its all the low/medium pop servers that need to be merged somehow, not the populated ones. but the outnumber faction on these high pop servers should be allowed to move for free, cause horde on silvermoon is basically dead.

because of cross realm etc and no more battlegroups like in the old days, actual faction domination of a server doesn’t really matter, as long as whichever faction has enough players to draw from to create healthy guilds and a healthy AH.

2 Likes

While quite a few people have left, no one in their right mind would argue otherwise, a huge amount of players have left/rerolled from ‘dead servers’ to a select few of the giant servers like Silvermoon.

Blizzard can merge the servers into several super ones but in the end they are still going to flock on the giant servers.

They need to lock down the giant severs to let the smaller ones repopulate. ‘Your mate’ wants to join you in Silvermoon, tough luck, the stables full, but you can transfer somewhere else for free to join them.

1 Like

but the cause for players leaving/rerolling from dead servers to giant servers is BECAUSE their server is dead in the first place.

i would wager that if blizzard cut down the number of servers from the 100+ that we currently have, to about 30-50, then people would not feel the need to flock to the likes of Silvermoon because their own server would have a healthy economy, healthy guilds and a healthy community. the only reason why people leave dead servers is BECAUSE there is no chance at most things there.

but of course, blizzard are only worried about the optics of cutting servers from 100+ to 50, even though it would actually make the game more healthy for EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on a medium or low pop realm, and would possibly even start to bring players back. how many players do you think (not you personally) would come back to ghostlands after not playing wow for years, and then stay when their guild is gone, their friends are gone, the ah is bad, and what few guilds are left are having their own issues staying afloat. they wont stay. they will just quit the game again, and most likely never give wow another chance.

2 Likes

When they did the initial connections all where healthy but you should know the player base by now. If one server has more players then all other realms are dead.

Some realms now, yeah, they are dead but not before.

Using the forums we have 46 ‘real realms’. Looking at their names they reduced that by a huge amount last time.

If Silvermoon for example had 2k more than the newly connected realms we’d still see people moving to Silvermoon.

1 Like

i honestly dont know when we first started seeing the first “dead realms”, but i know that horde ghostlands started having massive issues in wotlk when faction change was introduced. did this mean the server was in trouble? maybe not, as the lack of horde would be balanced with an abundance of alliance, but obviously horde would have felt a pinch. i dont know when the first connections were made, someone told me it was during MoP.

so am not sure to what degree “healthy” is accurate.

we do have 46 connected realm as listed on forums, but the break up makes no sense. there are 110 EN realms total, and it would seem the answer is that as there are 20 high/full servers, the other 90 servers should be condensed to 10-30 servers for a total of 30-50 servers. but its not so simple. as you pointed out, the forums show the connected realms, of which we have 46, but lets do some comparisons. first 2 servers connected:

• ghostlands/dragonblight both listed as medium, although my information in the first post of this thread shows that that is TOTALLY inaccurate.
  • Tarren Mill/Dentarg. both listed as full.

why did these 2 get linked? tarren mill has always been big anyway. how was dentarg in the past?

then lets take 2 single realms according to forums:

• Silvermoon (full) 25,817 characters from both factions
  • Frostmane (medium) 3,461 characters from both factions

why on earth is frostmane:

1. listed as medium pop
  2. never connected to another realm

and if i or others bothered to look deeper into the connections and realm pops, im sure we would find more massive inconsistencies.

its like how blizzard call a character inactive ONLY when its not been on in 3 years. but that means someone who has NEVER played BfA AND Legion. what about all the masses of players who played in legion, but quit for BfA? they have not played for a year, but are technically still active according to blizzard.

the more i look into this, the more and more it looks like blizzard is just constantly trying to hide things with deception and smoke and mirrors. for the server connections, at least now, its like blizzard just picked names out of a hat as to who would be connected to who. it makes no sense now. and EVEN if it did when they were initially connected in the past, the FACT that they dont know, means the whole system needs to be looked at.

the server issue just needs to be fixed. period.
the AH needs to be fixed. period
guilds need attention. period.

in the past, yes, this would be close to 100% true. but if all servers were healthy, the fact that we now have:

• lfg
  • lfr
  • cross realm groups
  • battlenet friends etc

means that there would be FAR less need for people to move. as long as servers are healthy, people wont move in anyway near the numbers they do now, or in the past.

blizzard, by not sorting this, you are leaving us with the ONLY conclusion that the ONLY reason why you are not fixing the realm issue is:

1. you will lose out on all the money from server transfers
  2. the optics of cutting down 110 EN servers to about 40, espescially at this moment in time, where all indicators point to the game hemoraging players, but you will not release transparent sub numbers, and that by removing servers, people will say “this is the proof! you are losing players!”.

blizzard you are losing players. admit it and stop lying about the state of servers. most medium pop servers are probably low, and most low pop servers are probably empty, and then form a plan to counteract that. by fixing dead/low pop servers i believe this would fix one of the major reasons why the game is losing subs.

I’d like to see this happen. Combine/squish, the majority of low pop realms down to a much smaller amount, creating a bunch of medium pop realms. Just look at the realm list, so many low pop servers. Even though I do not raid or mythic plus
 I still would not roll a new character on a low pop realm!

2 Likes

Today i look at server lists and to my amazement Dragonblight/Ghostlands is now “medium” populated. :astonished: I guess classic has pulled in some old subbers who are checking their old characters or something? We have been on “low” so so long time!

2 Likes

Are they on the Alliance side? Anecdotally the horde side feels quieter than ever.

As a side thought (& I could be peeing in the wind with this one
) we as players are goal orientated and I think bringing back something like Server Firsts (with rewards) would bring some life back to the servers. It’d give some level of identity and I think would bring some guilds / players on to the servers if they think they have a chance of smashing latest tier server first on a quiet guild instead of a heavy pop server.

1 Like

I don’t know which side they are located. I was just loggin in the game and staring at the server selection in disbelief seeing both Dragonblight and Ghostlands shining with yellow “medium” text. I also noticed there was much more servers that were high/full than usually.

2 Likes

another example of how just being on a populated server can make your surroundings seem alive:

Classic:
37 servers EU,
3 low (because they are new im guessing),
2 medium,
32 full/high.

BfA:
267 servers EU,
55 low,
150 medium,
62 High/Full

BUT it still shows Ghostlands AND Dragonblight as medium. i dont know how you are determining low/medium/high/full, but you are WRONG for Ghostlands/Dragonblight!

however, these numbers should show you something. there is NO reason to have so many low/medium pop servers. they need to be just merged or wiped or whatever.
introduce surnames to be the original server they were from, then move them all to a new server, that way EVERYONE can keep their own name, yet the clutter of surplus servers is cleaned up.

and is being shown, at least for now, you need the extra server space for classic if you are going to keep having to open new servers! and also, if some people stop playing BfA, there will be even less need for the 267 servers, and more need for classic. i personally have not played BfA in a week now.

1 Like

The annoying thing about this, is they were supposedly testing something on the Brazilian servers almost 2 years ago, Ion also said they’d be doing more connections, they’ve done absolutely nothing for them.

They sit back too frequently and rely on cross realm zones to provide the illusion but CRZ/Sharding doesn’t add more recruit able players to the realms, it doesn’t help uplift the economies, it’s just a lazy way of not doing anything.

Realistically what they should be doing and what I’d do is something like this. I’d create battlegroups like they used to have back in TBC-Wrath, it’d be something like this.

Example: " Norgannon Battle group "
Quel’thalas
Azjol’Nerub
Magtheridon
Turalyon
Doomhammer
Azune
Shadowsong

Those servers would be put into the Norgannon battlegroup and essentially made one big server, sharding would be removed or at least restricted to battlegroup only and restrictions would be removed allowing anyone within the battlegroup to join guilds.

It’s basically connected realms on a much larger scale, it’ll help raise the populations up, boost the economies and help make the game a generally better place but I suppose that’s too much for Blizzard, it’s easier to sit back and just ignore it thanks to CRZ/Sharding.

3 Likes