Dear Blizzard/Activision - Class Balance

Dear Blizzard,

Been playing this game for nearly 16 years now and despite some of the complaints about content and gameplay, I’ve generally been very happy.

There’s always been on thing that’s p*ssed me off since day one which is class balance. It’s tough to get right I know and requires some work but why not put into your monthly releases a regular class balance update? You have all the logs, you have all the tools, you maybe have some skills?

How is it right that I played day in day out on my balance druid as main (which I don’t want to change), 481 equipped, full sockets, a 96 level neck and running 146 base corruption in M+ and pull average 100k dps in a run yet I play my fury warrior once a week for weekly M+ with 475 equipped, no sockets, 85 level neck and running 90 base corruption and pull the same average dps?!

It’s absolutely ridiculous at the end of an expansion how you still can’t get it right. I don’t mind there being some inconsistency but that is absurd and it’s a complete lottery on classes. Some people like switching mains all the time, a lot of people don’t.

All the effort, the thousands of hours played this expansion, to feel it was all a complete waste of time. The farming, AP grind and getting BIS gear was pointless as my main is still pretty useless.

5 Likes

I have a theory that instead of balancing classes, Blizzard prefers to have a rotation of what is good and what is bad so that people keep re rolling and therefore subscribe for longer. My advice is to simply cancel you sub for when your main is crap and go get some steam games on sale instead

6 Likes

I cannot agree more.

Man, I have been wondering the same thing. This is especially reflected in Arena Tournaments.

If you’ve been playing for 16 years it should have dawned on you the kind of balance you are expecting isn’t possible.

Theres loads of factors that enter into it.

• Fight length is important.
  • How many targets and how long adds live is important. (Later in the expac classes with high burst are favoured because they murder adds)
  • Gear plays a role. At 450 shadow priests suck. At 480 they do a lot of damage. Do you want them somehow buffed at low gear levels and nerfed at higher ones?

If you feel like the you wasted your time, its on you. If you played thousands of hours, the point was to have fun. Not chase bis / resent the time spent.

The worst thing about this is that it’s probably true :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ain’t that right… :thinking:

It’s definitely possible, it’s simple to see from logs how single target vs multiples work. Blizzard nerfed the druids dots but didnt increase their empowered wraths and lunars for example. That just completely screwed us in m+. Its lack of forsight and blind changes not based on data but on expectation usually. Just saying it’s hard is a complete cop-out. Raidbots can create sims, why not Blizzard?

No I don’t expect lower level gear to have to be buffed, thats not the idea here. End game is what people are bulding for so the reward is there to see for them.

I did have fun mostly in general content, raids were great, M+ which I love has been nearly impossible to get into groups. Getting your character to the best it can be though is 50% of this game and you saying not chasing BIS is simply silly, that’s what everyone wants to some extent or we wouldnt do the crap things in the game like AP grinds etc

I challenge Blizzard’s devs to run Horrific Visions as MM hunter.

It’s a shining example that points out everything that’s wrong with the class design.

• you don’t have enough DPS to mow mobs down, BUT
  • you also don’t have NEARLY enough tankiness to survive killing them, SO
  • you ‘should’ kite them as the class legacy dictates, but oh there’s a problem
  • you don’t have means to kite more than 2 mobs at a time (you can only somewhat slow them by tar trap on long CD)

After first 3 attempts at horrific visions (most of the time dying due to practically no self-healing compared to melee classes or just time running out without making any significant headway through it), I just GAVE UP maining a hunter and instead went on to play as fury warrior.

Mage can CC repeatedly
Warlock has pet to taunt
BM has pets to fight FOR you
No idea about shadow priest but I assume it’s bad seeing as each of them complain

/rant

MM almost ENTIRELY relies on Trueshot Aura (which is even worse than Paladin’s wings as outside of it you have literally no damage) and an azerite trait that is similar yet MUCH WORSE than DH’s - yes, you get a LOT of haste for 8 seconds after channeling, but while DH can channel Eye Beam freely unless something interrupts, Rapid Fire cannot - unless it’s used on boss, most mobs (especially in outside world content but even in dungeons) DIE BEFORE the channeling ends, thus you get no haste buff. And the rest of the azerite traits are even worse garbage (other than the pure OPness of making Trueshot Aura even more troll-like by increasing your crit chance to 100%)

Blizzard, PLEASE STOP MAKING CLASSES RELY ON LONG COOLDOWNS (and inherently flawed borrowed powers!) to do any kind of damage, believing it to “normalize” the damage over the entire encounter. Doing next to no damage outside of your main CD is NOT a fun way to play. Does anyone believe it’s okay to do 10k dps outside of your main CD? While another class pulls consistently like 30k with the same ilvl gear without popping any CDs? CDs should be something you pop in special cases, not because outside of it you’re too weak to tackle more than 1 mob at a time.

/rant off

1 Like

If you put this much thought into your real life career as you do in WoW conspiracies you’d be the manager of your McDonalds by now.

Something not quite right there. With that much coruption u should have way more dps, or u run bad coruptions.

Agree there should be weekly/monthly balance patch, at least something like increase dmg by 3% or something…

Boy oh boy… My work is way better than McDonald’s manager…

This whole thing started with CATA,got much worse late MOP when every class got everything.

I miss when each class had strengths, weaknesses and counters.

Now it’s just 1-2 classes cheesing with downright abusive power levels and the rest cannon fodder or just big blobs of mobile hp that can stun sometime, but ultimately fall before the FOTMS

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.