Do I have to buy Shadowlands to play Dragonflight?

I am thinking about returning to WoW after a break. The last expansion I played was Battle for Azeroth. If I return when Dragonflight releases will I have to buy Shadowlands expansion as well as Dragonflight?

1 Like

Blizzard have not yet made any announcements regarding this. You are not the first to ask.

Until Blizzard make an official announcement, support will not be able to give you any answers.

If the pattern from previous expansions is followed, it is likely that Shadowlands will be included in the base game, and you will only have to pay for Dragonflight. However, as I said, there is no official announcement on this topic, and Blizzard may decide to do something totally different.

1 Like

You need Shadowlands to pre-purchase Dragonflight. It is likely that once Dragonflight launches Shadowlands will be merged with the base game.

1 Like

Edit: Just hot and in see below

1 Like

This was posted a few hours ago in General:

so it looks as though you’re in luck.

1 Like

Unless you already have it on one account in your battle.net account then you can’t get it on the others.

1 Like

This can be closed, as posted there were 2 gifts for me after install, Shadowlands and a level 50 boost!

2 Likes

wait what?!

One free Shadowlands per battle.net account but only if you don’t already have it. If you already have Shadowlands on any Warcraft account in your battle.net account (you can have up to 8) you won’t get the free one.

So basically, ignore the loyal players. As always.

Enjoy your free copy of Shadowlands, Keltyx!

At the moment, you do need to upgrade your account with a version of Shadowlands to be able to pre-purchase Dragonflight, to answer your original question, and as many other posters have pointed out. If anything about that changes, we’ll be sure to announce it on our website and forums :).

Yup, free copy of SL received/installed.

However I do have to subscribe again to be able to play inactive chars above lvl 19 and maybe/possibly to receive ONE level 50 boost on 1 char.

For the moment not worth it, I guess

You subscribed for the monthly fee in order to be able to play SL and to make the level 50 boost possible, I assume?

Atm I am looking at inactive chars, meaning I have to pay to play with them.