Do you think Cross-Faction RP (Tongues Elixir) has bettered AD?

Yeah I remember when Cairne and Thrall met for the first time and Thrall was all “Zug zug?” and Cairne was all “the heck is this orc saying???” and they couldn’t converse and it was really awkward and then they all got killed by centaurs because they didn’t know how to work together.

oh wait no that didn’t happen

14 Likes

I don’t use it in Booty Bay because of the surplus of x-fac weirdos there

It’s the single best addition to the game Blizzard has made for Roleplayers.

it’s also the only addition Blizzard has made for Roleplayers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s made RP much better! Now we can actually converse with the opposite faction and get more RP going.

Thanks for the info and replies! Glad you guys enjoy it!

This is an example of an event where, without the elixir, we’d have had to resort to addons, battle-tags or Discord servers simply to interact with one another. Instead - I just had to pop that consumable and I was immediately free to attend lectures and pick up on cross-faction gossip.

10/10 would elixir again

5 Likes

I ran the CrossRP battle.net community server for AD (when it used those to broadcast to the other faction before Elixirs were implemented), and it maxed out at 1000 people in a couple of weeks.

Even in those hacky* days, it showed how much of a want there was for it. The original reason for removing some vanilla beta cross faction languages was because PvPers were using it to harass each other.

In short, it’s great for RPers. Just don’t let PvPheads near it.

*And exploitable, it was all publicly readable lol

1 Like

It was simply a game mechanic, to prevent trolling the other faction.

1 Like

Not that I think it’d matter all that much now compared to Classic. Most competitive PvP is done in arenas where you can play against your own faction anyways

Improved, no question.

2 Likes

Reminded of my Ex (playing an undead blood DK) typing the lyrics to “The amazing horse” at another undead blood DK in arena in cataclysm because they couldn’t kill each other

1 Like

i’d take that with a grain of salt, really. Language barriers are just not too good for telling a scripted or dramatic story. WoW’d be really hollow if everyone was just gesturing madly and speaking a broken version of each other’s languages, that’s the sole reason all the cutscene-approved NPCs understand each other regardless.

1 Like

It’s definitely made regular interactions (aka literally everything that isn’t RP-PVP) way better and more convenient. You could still do cross-faction RP prior to the potion thanks to stuff like b.net chats (until they removed the group function of that) or through b.net whispers to sort of translate what the other faction was saying, but man was it way more complicated and a lot slower.

Only really think it’s impacted RP-PvP negatively, as I prefer the old/non-emote way of doing it. Not too interested in actually writing the combat stuff myself and it’s occasionally a bit weird when your opponent wants to engage in a philosophical debate on the moral implications of your actions while you’re locking swords/slinging fireballs. It’s still good to have as an option for those that like it, though.

5 Likes

It definately has made things a whole lot more interesting. I remember during the Drums of War campaign an old guildmate tried to mislead horde forces through different impressions.

It for sure made RP better as long as you look for good RP. It’s a must when emote fighting the opposing faction nowadays.

Can’t you just RP-PvP the old-fashioned way, still? Haven’t really partaken in it since… MoP, I think, so I’m not entirely up to date.

Wait has AD managed to make RP-PvP even worse?

Aside from the ~250 player campaigns run by the PCU is what you meant to say

3 Likes

Imagine thinking there was ever a language barrier.

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah " MOGI " that’s what you meant to say I bet