Does RP realms dungeon finder connects with normal servers?

Depending on your perspective, you could also view that as a huge bonus.

1 Like

So conclusion is I will only meet people from my RP realm in the open-world, yet I will join with normal servers in dungeon finder & battleground finder. (?)

Yes.
/10 char

1 Like

Ideally, yes.
That is exactly what I am saying.

It’s not a physical need, no, but you -should- otherwise what are you even there for? Why would you go to an RP Realm for its Raiding or PvP scene when there are Realms that cater to that already?

See this is the problem.

You get people ‘playing the game normally’ in the Valley of Strength in Orgrimmar on Argent D, you get them in the Trade District in Stormwind.

Those areas are effectively No-Go areas for RP’ers, for whom the server was created. Because they are filled with OOC players with no intention of RPing, and for every decent ‘Normal’ player who realises that they are on an RP Realm and shouldn’t be bothering the ‘natives’ you get three who will start jumping around and shouting about how "RP Is (Insert homophobic slur here), or either will just crowd round and silently watch people RPing as if it was some sort of Zoo.

So no, you are wrong, I’m afraid, and if you need proof of that, ask yourself this. Why is there only one RP realm left with a thriving RP community, and the others are effectively ‘Normal’ Realms in all but name?

Because the RP’ers got fed up of the ‘normal’ players coming to their realms and soon drowning them out and forcing them away, so they all migrated to the last remaining RP realm.

Even the well intentioned ‘Normal’ players contribute to that phenomena, as by ‘normalising’ their behaviour, they open the floodgates for others, who are not so well intentioned, with readily documented results as can be seen in game.

The idea that “If you don’t disrupt RP it’s fine” is a fallacy that killed off the other realms, so understandably Argent Dawn RP’ers get prickly over it and will report -any- infraction they see that is a reportable offence on an RP realm. Because ‘Normal’ players can go anywhere for their fun. Argent Dawn is the last and only place we can play the game our way.

Yes, that is correct. But I humbly ask that you do not come to Argent Dawn if you have no intention of RP’ing yourself, at least pick one of the RP Realms that ‘normal’ players killed off.

4 Likes

So normal players are people who jump around and yell homophobic slurs. Got it.

Are you by any chance biased against non RPers or simply believe that everybody who isn’t an RPer automatically is a jerk?

Playing “normally” isn’t jumping around being homophobic. Playing “normally” isn’t disrupting other peoples gameplay or RP experience. Playing “normally” isn’t crowding around RP spots and spectating them.

Playing “normally” is doing your dailies, raiding, doing dungeons, leveling, questing, farming mounts, rares, whatever. Playing “normally” is not disrupting me while RPing in any way shape or form. And if it is disrupting you, chances are rather high the person was not “playing normally” but was disrupting people.

I’m afraid you are. If you need proof of that, ask yourself this: Why is there an incredibly large RP server still alive for english speaking players, as well as several for non english speaking players, even though people regularly “tourist” to those servers. If it were so incredibly disruptive, they’d have changed games already, right? There’s so many better games suited for RP out there, but apparently it’s still good enough for people to RP in WoW.

Ah yes, every time well intentioned people join, douchebags follow. That’s what always happens. I’ve seen it recently in the Restaurant de L’Hôtel de ville. Shortly after well behaved people entered, a stream of douches followed and wracked the entire restaurant to shreds. It’s just that well intentioned people open floodgates. Completly normal phenomenon.

Nah, what killed RP realms was first of all lack of players to support that many RP realms. Then it was the fact that WoW is sadly not a very well suited RP game, even while using things such as Total RP. Then people grew up and the game got worse, which turned even more players away from it.

I humbly invite you to join Argent Dawn. Not everybody is as hostile as Brigante is.

If you wanna get a feel for RP, feel free to join. If you don’t, but just wanna play on the realm, feel free to join, but please don’t disrupt people in their RP efforts.

And if you’re interested in RP, people will always be willing to give you a hand. At least most people will.

9 Likes

To jump on Brigante’s posting: A topic about the problems on AD and RP-servers in general (also includes GM replies).

Read what I said old boy, because that isn’t what I said at all. I said for every Good Intentioned ‘normal’ player, you will get about three who do behave like that. That is not the same thing as saying “All ‘Normal’ players are Homophobes” at all, is it?

No, not really. I don’t understand why a Non Rper would choose of all the realms out there, one designed for a specific play style they have no interest in, but I don’t automatically assume they are a jerk, no.

Well it would be lovely if more people, or preferably -all- people who are not RP’ing could do that. I mean how hard is it to mount up on your Dragon, fly up high and continue your conversations and actually let the RP’ers get on with stuff? Would it seriously be that much of an imposition?

All of which RP’ers do too.

OK, so let me try to put this into perspective. If you have a whole district of a city, filled with people who are ‘playing normally’ who are well intentioned, and genuinely don’t have any desire to disrupt RP, they are still doing so, passively, and its not even their fault as such, they can be as good intentioned as you like, just waiting for their queue to pop or whatever. You’re trying to RP with a gang of mates, There’s hundreds of people stood around like statues, or jumping up and down, or on Mammoths. Say you just wandered up on your own to one of these people “Evening there fellow, Valley of Strength is crowded tonight it seems, any festival on, or some important announcement from Grommash Hold?” You get either silence, or “Sorry mate, not an RP’er.”

Thats still disruptive. It’s passively so, but its still, “Right, OK, so I can see a character there, I have addressed them, and they are either a statue, or have just used OOC terms to politely decline conversation, How many of these people actually -are- here to RP with?”

Except there aren’t. The same Phenomena occurs everywhere, in the varying games, and the RP’ers end up corralled into one segment, and then people go “Ooh, I’m going to roll on the RP realm” “Cool, you going to RP?” “Nah”

Besides, why -should- the RP’ers swap games to RP in, when they are already on the designated area for RP’ers.

Answer me this. What possible justification is there when presented with the myriad numbers of realms available, to choose the one that is dedicated to a playstyle you have no interest in whatsoever? Do you get RP’ers going to PvE realms for the RP? No. Did you get them going to PvP only realms for the RP? No. So -why- is it that non RP’ers think they have some right to go to an RP Server and not RP? How is that OK?

Good, glad you understand. Yes, that is exactly what happened to Earthern Ring, The Sha’tar, Steamwheedle Cartel and the other RP realms. That is literally exactly what happened.

That is why those realms are now only RP in name, the RP Community were forced out.

“Oh we won’t bother RP’ers, no, we’ll be very unobtrusive” Douches turn up, “Heh, that looks fun, lets mess with the RP’ers, who cares about RP anyway” Mentioning no guilds, but they were a prominent Raiding Guild at the time, who came with ‘Good Intentions’ and ended up killing RP on the server because mocking RP became ‘normal’.

Ain’t so. It’s the weird attitude people have of “I’m not doing any harm, I just chose this one realm that I have no intention of playing in its playstyle, instead of -every- other realm which caters to me, Why are RP’ers so mean? I can’t understand why they get so upset when I come here with no intention to RP instead of -EVERY- other Realm I could have chosen.”

I’m actually quite chilled to be honest, but I do recall the death of the other RP realms, so am rather protective of this one.

Absolutely this. It is a brilliant place to get the hang of it, there’s quite a few denizens of these here General Forums who I have been helping getting into RP, and its been awesome.

And Mount up and fly into the sky so we can have our cities back, would be nice.

It’s a collaborative hobby, you’ll find most people will be very welcoming and willing to give tips, and there is absolutely zero wrong with whispering someone and going “I’m really new to RP, so apologies if I make mistakes, any help will be appreciated”

Really, RP is not as complicated or difficult as some people make it sound, it’s pretty easy, to be honest…

3 Likes

Let’s be real here, you need some experience and how to make your own expressions/gestures interesting. People with a writing-background have it easier and sometimes it can also be a lot of pressure for new people to write before advanced players who have their macros ready and so on.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you’ve said the majority of them are. 75% to be precise.

A guild recruited them there. They dislike playing with “Dishwasher” and “xXIllidanFangirlXx”. They want less hostile open world shards. They’re interested in RP but don’t want to commit to it.

There’s enough reasons. Only because you don’t understand things, doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It’s a concept that is relatively popular to only believe in things you understand, but it sadly just doesn’t work.

You just assume that out of 4 non RPers, three are disruptive. Gotcha.

I don’t think it is. I rarely get disrupted while RPing, honestly.

What’s your point?

So do NPCs bother you as well, or not? Or if somebody simply goes to fetch food?

You want to interact with people, that’s fair. It’s quite obvious which people are interested in being interacted with and which aren’t.

It’s really not that difficult to download total RP and figure that out.

Star Wars Galaxy was great. FFXIV is also pretty filled with RPers and people looking to publicly RP, more so than WoW. ESO is also pretty decent. I’d rate all three of them above WoW RP.

I feel like that’s a very personal issue for you and your circle of people who agree with you, rather than a general issue for RP Servers.

Because there’s no proper support for RPers in WoW, the story keeps moving forwards into a direction that many people disagree with and without AddOns, which you seem to not be using, it’s impossible to set up a proper profile for your characters.

There’s enough reasons. Only because you don’t understand things, doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It’s a concept that is relatively popular to only believe in things you understand, but it sadly just doesn’t work. I listed them up above.

The justification is quite simple. People generally do whatever they please. And my personal opinion is as long as they don’t hurt or disrupt people, directly or indirectly, with their actions, they’re allowed to do that.

If a person gets bothered by a myriad of Íllîdán named DHs on their server, I welcome them with open arms on any RP realm, as long as they stay in line and don’t bother other players.

I feel like that was very obvious sarcasm you didn’t quite understand.

Well intentioned and behaved people don’t attract douches. It’s people who get annoyed and triggered by douches who attract them.

“Yes” - “No” - “Yes” - “No”. Great argument we’re having here. Really mature as well. I disagree with everything you’ve said about why RP realms were dying. You can’t put all the blame on “non RPers”. That’s some “people poisoning our wells” during the black plague logic right there.

But hey, agree to disagree, amirite?

You don’t seem to be. You seem incredibly hostile to everybody who isn’t initially interested in RP. I’ve joined an RP realm for raiding and stuck around for RPing. If I’ve met somebody such as you during my early days, I would’ve never stuck around.

If you don’t invite people to spectate and get a feel for things, you’ll never get new players to join.

Although that is an incredibly true statement that more people should take to heart, for everything that is.

There’s nothing wrong with asking for help or telling people you’re new to something. And even if there’s always a few douches around, most people are happy to help.

6 Likes

This seems more like a personal observation than an assumption tbh.

noun

noun: assumption ; plural noun: assumptions ; noun: Assumption

a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

A personal observation can very easily be an assumption. Something being an assumption does not exclude it from being a personal observation and vice versa.

Also “disruptive” is very obviously a personal opinion on whether they are. While I haven’t gotten bothered by anybody not RPing on RP realms, Brigante obviously has. So while for him, three out of four non RPers are disruptive, for me roughly one out of 20 is.

That being said, why are you nitpicking on stuff like that? What’s up?

I don’t actually think that is an inaccurate percentage, possibly a little high, but only a bit, from my Empirical evidence it seems to be about right, yes.

So if the Guild wasn’t interested in RPing or actively getting its members to RP, what brought -them- there in the first place? If they’re interested in RP’ing but are unsure, then why not ask a few questions, people would be glad to help out.

Yes, that seems, as I say, from Empirical evidence, as in my personal experience, to be an accurate figure. Just because you don’t see that, doesn’t mean it isn’t so.

You’re lucky then. It’s started to proper put me off the game in general, its like “No, hang on, this is an RP realm? Why should I just have to suck this kind of behaviour up?”

That everything you stated are things that RP’ers also do. Whilst also being RP’ers.

I was not aware that the NPC’s were constantly played by living, breathing people, unlike the player characters. If someone is getting food, then fair enough, personally I absent myself and log when having dinner, but if other people don’t, fine.

So we agree that a lot of the people in said regions have no interest in RP then?

I’ve heard some not so great stuff about those games, but fair enough, I will take that into consideration.

Thats probably because there is only -one- RP server left in the English speaking realms, because of the very phenomenon that I mentioned.

Lamentably that is a Blizzard failing, they should have been all over supporting the RP realms, but only now are they going “Yeah, this is a problem”

As for Add Ons, whatever gave you that impression? I’ve always used them. Or are you suggesting that I should assume everyone without an Add on profile is not an RP’er? I mean thats a bit exclusive, not unreasonable, but a bit exclusive.

And I pointed out how Indirectly they are hampering RP. If you have eighty people just standing there in Valley of Strength, then they are hampering RP, Even if every one of them is absolutely a decent sort who does not actively disrupt RP, they are still hampering RP, Like I say, and I say again, How -Difficult- is it for them to mount up whilst waiting for their Dungeon to pop, fly up high, and not be in the way? How difficult is that?

Absolute nonsense.

Absolute and utter nonsense. You can’t blame the victims of a scenario for what other people actively do. Are you seriously suggesting that people on The Sha’tar went “Oh, we’ve got quite a nice RP community going on here, what we need is to for some reason invite a purely raiding guild with no interest in RP to the server, as long as they behave” Then six months later be “Oh no, who could have seen it coming, other people joined their guild, but these people aren’t nice, and they brought others, and they brought others, and now we can’t RP anymore”

Is that -seriously- how you think it happened?

I have no idea what you mean, I am not contradicting myself at all, and have been consistent in my approach to the matter, also where on earth did the ‘mature’ jab come from? That was a bizarre angle to take, given that neither of us has behaved in an immature manner in this discussion, so I am a little nonplussed as to where you were trying to go with that.

As to disagreeing with what I say about how the RP realms were dying, that is of course your perogative, and may well reflect your personal experiences on those realms. My experiences were entirely different, and reflected by what I saw and later related in this thread, but I did say it was ‘Empirical’ as in “This is what I saw happen”.

I don’t even know where that is coming from, thats just odd…

Who wants to go to the only RP realm? Yeah, I am rather sceptical and unhappy about the idea, if they come with -no- intention to RP. Would you join a dedicated PvP Guild and go “But I tell you what, lads and lasses, I’ve no interest in PvP and I won’t do it” If someone rolls on the server and they want to learn how to RP, then I’m all for it. If they have no intentions of learning to RP, then No thanks.

Oh but you possibly have, just on a different character, we won’t know, will we? I am actually incredibly supportive of new Roleplayers and getting them settled in.

Yes, completely agree.

There is nothing wrong with going “I’m new to this, so I will take hints and tips, and y’know, be forgiving of any blunders I make” And because all types of RP, whether Gaming RP, Tabletop RPG’s or LARP are -collaborative- hobbies, people -want- you there. They -want- more RP’ers, they -Want- more people to play with, so the better sorts will actively help you out, and give advice, and tips, it is one of the most rewarding of jobs that I have at a large LARP fest system, to NPC a character whose IC as well as OOC role is to get new Roleplayers engaged in the game, and to guide them at the start, and then events later to see them achieve positions of power and status in their respective factions.

Most RP’ers will be like that. They want more people in the game, and they will help you find your feet. It really is a rewarding element of gaming.

If you come in with an attitude of “I want to get into RP but don’t know how” you will find 9/10 people will be as nice as pie and helpful, and it makes for a great way to round off your day. “I’ve done my raiding and rep grinding and farming mounts, I’ll finish off by just RPing in my local city”

Its a great addition to the game, and I would heartily recommend it to everyone.

1 Like

The only official RP limitations I know of are naming limitations.

So if your name doesn’t meet them it can be reported even if it is not inappropriate otherwise.

Yup and from my empirical evidence it seems way too high.

Server firsts. Less lag. Empty shards / realmpools back in the days.

Maybe they’re a guild that started with a few RPers and then they started raiding? You yourself said RPers raid. Why would a guild not be allowed to recruit people for raiding without them recruiting for RP as well?

And just because you believe it’s correct, doesn’t mean it is correct. I mean there’s also people believing radio waves spread viruses.

Not really lucky, just apparently less bothered by people being afk.

So isn’t that more of an issue with you having a lot of things that apparently bother you but very few other people?

Still don’t get your point.

I wouldn’t say a lot, but there’s some. Also a fair bit of people might just not know about total RP since they’re newcomers. Not sure, I just tend to avoid people without a profile.

Repeating your same opinions doesn’t make them more convincing, sorry to say.

I agree.

The fact that you’ve used an example where you talked to a non RPer without knowing, or at the very least expecting, they weren’t one.

I am, actually. I agree, it is a bit exclusive, but it sadly is what it is.

We don’t have proper ingame support for anything RP related, so I can only assume the people who are serious about RPing are the ones with Total RP installed while everybody else isn’t serious about it.

I’ve also never been approached by anybody without Total RP installed, so there’s that. I wish there were a better solution, but it helps me avoid awkward situations.

The thing you don’t understand is first of all: It’s your opinion that they’re disrupting RP. A dozen other people may not be affected by it at all. I don’t mind people afking in cities or in the auction house, main cities are usually a pass anyway.

It isn’t hard at all, people may just not expect others to be disrupted by it. I’m sure that the people who don’t want to bother RPers wouldn’t mind simply flying up and waiting, if they’d been told that what they’re doing is actively disrupting other peoples gameplay.

However, I too find it a bit ridiculous. Why is it that people statue-ing in cities bothers you so much?

I disagree. I find your statements to be exactly that.

I agree. But you can also not blame people who have nothing to do with these others who are disruptive for their actions.

Yes, blaming victims is wrong. But blaming random bystanders is also wrong, isn’t it?

No, what I think happened was that a raiding guild joined Sha’tar, with quite a few non RPers in it and some of them being disruptive. Are you now blaming the entire guild of them for being disruptive?

An individuals decisions are their own. If a person is disruptive, actively so rather than your weird idea of being indirectly disruptive, it’s their own decision and their own fault.

People who get bothered by these people attract them, though. Of course I wouldn’t blame a human for having blood. But it doesn’t change the fact that said human having blood attracts mosquitoes.

The whole argument is you repeating your opinions and stating them as facts, without providing any new arguments whatsoever. Me saying my opinion and you disagreeing with them. It’s really pointless.

People change their minds. People learn new things. People who don’t know anything about RP are obviously not interested in RP, because they don’t know anything about it. How on earth are you going to get people into RP by pushing them away? Or do you only accept people as RPers when they came on the server with the intention of RPing?

Fair point. But the way you’re acting right now, when I would’ve introduced myself OOC, you would’ve probably told me to leave the server. Because as I’ve said, I’ve joined an RP realm with no intention of RPing whatsoever. I stuck around because RP turned out to be incredibly fun, but that was due to some people holding a weekly mulgore market and them introducing me into the entire thing.

3 Likes

There are no rules to prevent non RPers from joining RP realms, personally I don’t see the point of being on an RP server as a regular player. There are a whole host of Normal realms to choose from. Why do I need to go and infringe on other people’s creative hobbies.

RP realms have some different rulesets to normal. They are only CRZ with other RP realms and they try to avoid sharding because it ruins RP events. Regardless of WM on or off you are all in the same place. People from other realms can be invited onto RP realms via groups etc in the normal manner.

They also have their own naming policy:-

Additional Rules for Role Playing Realms

World of Warcraft Role Play (RP) realms are intended to provide players with an added level of immersion in the game world and must avoid being disruptive to the world. Examples of common unacceptable or disruptive RP names include (but are not limited to):

• Non-medieval or non-fantasy names (For example: Slipnslide, Robotman, Discoinferno)
  • Names that reference well known people, characters, brands, places, or icons (For example: Britneyspears, Austinpowers, Mcdonalds, Georgewashington, Newyork)
  • Names that consist of multiple words (For example: Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy)

Blizzard reserves the right to assign a random name to any character violating our RP naming policy. For more severe or repeat violations, we may apply additional penalties to the account.

I admire people being that creative and living out their characters lives but it’s not for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mileage varies massively between RPers in the “OOC stance” so generalising isn’t helpful.

I’d consider myself fairly liberal. I don’t expect people to know whether they’re going to RP or not, because sometimes you don’t know this, and you come to it later. Barring someone entry based upon this kind of question is an issue for me. Also it’s intention based. You can’t track intentions.

For me it’s about their RP tolerance behaviour. I have no issue with someone who does not RP on RP realms so long as they recognise what I see as a general rule: RPers have “right of way” in non-content-facing scenarios. What do I mean by this?

• not actively disrupting ongoing RP that is occuring. This ranges from trolling, engaging in bad spirit “i was just tryin to RP XD”, standing in the way, following etc. RP is like a “game within a game”, it’s rude to insert yourself without permission if you show no indication you know “the rules”. That’s what whisper is for.

• not congregating in an area where RP is taking place without cause. Eg Valley of Honour. If you are simply loitering waiting on something it takes 5 seconds to mount and fly upwards. Pretty much all RPers “blindside” stuff like mailbox checks, AH visits and vendoring. As said earlier, this is “content facing” stuff, so denying it is silly. However waiting around in a spot others are using when you could wait anywhere else, and you have no intention of RPing is disruptive because if those players approach you (as is their right) IC, they’re then met with a jarring response that breaks immersion at best, and trolling at worst (I will say though in a few cases I’ve had an IC response back, if only to excuse themselves from my company, which is great honestly. Tiny gesture, but supports the RP integrity.)

• understanding that for EU at least there is now only one “functional” RP server, so affording RPers courtesy with small gestures like the above (which take zero effort honestly) goes a long way. In tandem with this, even if you dont challenge it directly, reporting players you spot disrupting RP. The issue with the old servers (and is becoming issue on AD) is OOC players outnumber RPers despite the server label. If the OOCers who don’t disrupt also turn a blind eye to disruption, they contribute to the problem by tacitly endorsing it. If a majority of the OOC community “had our backs” you’d find a lot more RPers would be liberal about things. Fact is a lot don’t have our backs, and simply think “well it’s not me doing it” is enough.

If you’re not contributing to the RP, at least contribute towards keeping the environment healthy for RP. Even if you don’t go into a library to read, and you’re not disrupting those who are reading, this doesn’t mean it’s suddenly okay for you to block people’s access to books, litter, or turn a blind eye to behaviours that are against the library rules.

3 Likes

Thanks all for discussion about Role-playing. The topis is however about technical question - RP servers connected via dungeon & battleground finder with normal realms. Thanks for your inputs though.! Some readers may find it helpful.

• DegenWoW
1 Like

…Could you not? We RPers from smaller realms are still around. I don’t want OOCers any more than you ADers do.

3 Likes

So what about someone who was initially interested in RP.
Then after reaching max level and trying it doesn’t really enjoy it. But stays on the server because their character is there.
You can’t really say they shouldn’t have joined the server in that case right?

1 Like

As long as these players do not disrupt the nature of the server, they are welcomed to stay.

3 Likes