Does Wow support new M1 macs?

What I can say for the moment is that I upgraded to BiG Sur on my iMac (i9 max specs) and WOW plays great and with more fps than it should on Catalina. Actually everything is faster on BiG Sur (fcpx, Safari, Davinci Resolve 17, etc). Im on preorder for a Macbook pro M1 (bought it for work ofc) and I will test it as soon as I have it in my hands. I’m really very very curious to see how is it going to perform via Rosetta 2 and compare fps against my iMac! From cpu perspective its pretty sure that M1 is going to get amazing results running WoW if you think that it beats the Macbook Pro 16’’ with i9-9980. From SSD perspective the performance in loading times should be also great as Apple is saying that SSD on M1 will have double performance. We have to see how the M1 8 core GPU will perform against dgpus running WoW. Metal scores for the moment shows not great scores on apple macbook air but the new SOC will have some advantages also that Im expecting. Exciting times…

I’m also a mac user and interest by Game performance. Thanks for sharing that !

World of Warcraft will run absolutely fine on M1 macs, WoW is not all that CPU intensive and Rosetta 2 is fantastic. Even without a universal app. I’m fairly certain the M1 chip will outpace all but the latest 5000 series radeon chips in the 16" MacBook Pro. Looking at benchmarks currently everyone’s in for a treat.

My M1 Air arrives tomorrow and will definitely give it a try.

• Mac mini with M1 chip faster than all Intel Macs in single-core tests
  • Apple Silicon M1 Emulating x86 is Still Faster Than Every Other Mac in Single Core Benchmark.

I’ve seen a Cinebench scores and they weren’t faster than a desktop Ryzen 3600X so I doubt a low TDP part is actually faster than TDP unrestricted parts :wink:

Yes we still have to see how the new SOC design will perform regarding gpu performance in games like WoW. But the most anticipated thing is for Blizzard to provide native support! That will give the extra performance in the game and it’s going to be huge! These 2-3 apps that have support on M1 chip already show a great boost in performance… for reference fcpx is working 6 times faster that it was on M1. Finger crossed what Blizzard will say and when to support it…

9 Likes

That’s awesome and Blizzard continues to show dedication to supporting the Mac platform.

Will Classic also be supported?

Love you guy :heart_eyes::rofl:

Well done! Thanks for this Blizzard.

That’s awesome. Does this mean that the Battle.net client and wow classic also support the new SoC natively or is it only shadowlands?

1 Like

It says patch 9.0.2, so i assume it does not work for classic (yet).

Yea, you are probably right.

This is awesome! Would love to hear from anyone that has one what settings/FPS is achieved with one of the M1 MacBooks

Blizzard you rock!!! That’s wonderful news!!!

Update: On Macbook Air M1 with ultra settings at 2048x1280 res, antialiasing off and vertical sync on it plays between 40-50 fps. Very impressive results from the Air and a few hours before it gets 9.0.2 with native support. Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIbEIhizoXY

On the american blizzard forum some guy post that with new mac mini and monitor at 1440p, achieve between 40 and 50 fps on game settings 5

It runs great on the MacBook Air M1, apart from freezing. The longest I have been able to play now is about 25 minutes before the display freezes. The game continues behind as you can still cast and hear it casting etc.

Playing at 2560x1600 turned off sun shafts, SSAO and put shadows to good. View distance etc to 10. Looks great and runs at 60fps no problem. Hardly even heats the MacBook AIr up, even though it has no fans.

I have also played Diablo 3 which uses Rosetta to run, it makes the Mac pretty warm after an hour of play but no crashes or issues, 50-60fps so its not a heat issue or anything like that.

I am using the Mac mini M1 with 8 GB of memory and the game runs consistently with 60 frames per second on full HD and all graphics maxed out at 10.

The only downside is that there are currently issues with the interface on the ARM64 client which locks the pet journal and causes issues with seeing group members and raid members in add-ons like Decursive and Healbot.

As per this post by WoW Developer Rommax Blizzard is already working on fixing the issue with the ARM client.

Now I am wondering, if there is a chance to boot the regular client to run World of Warcraft under Rosetta2 as long as the arm64 client is buggy?

1 Like

I just found out that it is actually possible to run the Release x64 version on an M1 Mac. One just need to right click (alt/option + click) on the WoW Application in the finder, click on “Info” and and set a checkmark at “Open using Rosetta” and one can play the game using the Intel version without the interface bugs.

Edit 2020-12-08: All issues are resolved. The client now works as expected. Thanks!

Any plans to update the Classic client to support M1 Macs?

1 Like