Don’t be afraid (but careful) to play a Vulpera

Like the fact that Vulpera apparently have whiskers despite the ingame model showing nothing of the sort.

But yes, Lay Down My Bones is a really nice dive into some of the more unsettling parts of Vulpera (folk)lore, with quite a few nice pointers to take away from.

1 Like

Believe me it was my original thought that they were vulpera tails too. Imagine the Alliance coming along and not just burning your home (and you limited supplies) but your entire family tree’s memorial?

They’d probably whitewash it and play uplifting Alliance music while doing it too.

4 Likes

Anduin slamdunks a puppy through a hoop and then punts it into the sun

heroic orchestra starts playing

9 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVmZuPOzU0

5 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with this thread. Playing a vulpera has it’s unique twist to it and not to mention the potential for truly comfortable roleplay. Even to this day I play with my two vulpera. The feel is truly different compared to other races.

4 Likes

I was drawn to the concept of roleplaying a Vulpera precisely for many of the same reasons already mentioned by Kuru, while them being antrophomorphic foxes adds to their charm it is far from being their singular appeal.

Survivors is an excellent way of looking at them, and it is far more essential to their core than their incidentally cute appearance. My interest was first piqued by their chief trait of pragmatism, a Vulpera will not as I understand them throw away anything useful, there is a World Quest in Vol’dun about gathering relics obviously imbued with necromancy, and while most races on Azeroth would balk at these the Vulpera eagerly seek them out with the mindset that since they work, we should probably do it more.

This seemed like fertile ground for me, and suggested that they might readily take to using dark magic if the opportunity presented themselves, hence Ombashi being a Warlock was kind of a natural fit and interesting concept to explore. When I made him I asked the question what would a Vulpera be like if they managed to achieve great power after enduring decades of horrors, hardships and traumas.

5 Likes

Vulpera can take inspiration from one thing

Dune

5 Likes

The spice- I mean Azerite must flow.

3 Likes

damn i didn’t know villeneuve ripped off danuser? smh :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My desert, my Vol’Dun, my Dune…

I have a vulpera of each class,

My shaman is a chef, using their knowledge of using what they have in the harsh desert to make better food for the caravans. She now works in Orgrimmar, selling them as delicacies to people on the street.

My hunter is a scavenger, digging up and looting destroyed Alliance airships that attacked Vol’dun in the Fourth War. She proclaims to be an expert on gnome technology, when in reality, her skill is basically “Turn it off and on again.”

My death knight is also a scavenger, of bones and corpses, fitting them together to create abominations and other twisted undead creations to make up for her lack of size and strength.

A vulpera can be extremely fun to play if you remove the ‘owo cutesy’ aspect of it and focus on what they are: Adaptable survivors.

6 Likes

Some Vulpera love thread ? Awesome ! Our people definitely always need a little more of that ! Even amidst the bad of it, those played as cutesy uwu pwease adopt me, we must always remember and celebrate the good that lies within our foxy desert people !

Their “blank slate” state is definitely one of the most appealing traits about them in my opinion. Despite being a massive Lore nerd, I enjoyed having to limit the knowledge I could output when I started.
Of course it is limiting to play a race that is completely new to the world, having only left Vol’dun with BFA and never seen by anyone before, but there is beauty in this novelty ; You can cast a whole new eye upon Azeroth through a character who was not able to experience most of its shaping elements yet has lived their entire lives facing hardships that have prepared them for it.

That is why I particularly like my character concept of a Vulpera scholar. It makes for a very paws-on and unrestrained approach to that type of RP since they are not a race known to keep knowledge in any way but oral. It makes for a character that is a lot closer to what I envision a perfect teacher to be, someone who doesn’t hoard knowledge or spend her time head in books, but goes in the field, faces danger, to find as much as possible to entrust it to the generations of tomorrow. A bit of a Cyrus Albright, for my fellow fans of Octopath Traveler.
Plus, it makes some funnily awkward situations when she spouts something really high-knowledge followed by being plain ignorant about something even a child would otherwise know in wider Azeroth.

About the cutesy part of Vulperas, it is one I still fail to understand being so played nowadays. As everyone said, they are survivors by nature and nothing in Vol’dun would have gotten mellowed by a cute fox ; sand worms will still munch you, Sehtraks will still enslave you, etc… It probably has never been of any use until now so I always raise a little eyebrow at the overused trope.
I can see it being used nowadays as misdirection though. The community has decided to consider them cutesy, likely patronizing them in the process, it’s a good occasion to punch them in the balls while they attempt a pet and take their coin purses. Don’t underestimate the sands-hardened foxxos, we don’t joke around when there is something to gain !

Ah that was refreshing to see and offer some Vulpera love ! Dunes be with you all and may you find solace in the shade, sand-siblings !

4 Likes

My mainly-played vulpera found a surprisingly fitting spot for herself in the Bilgewater Cartel, for example; the scavenging survivalist nature they have, fits very well with baseline goblin ideals, in fact, we have ex-Bilge Rat vulpera among our ranks too, who fit perfectly in their own way!
On the other hand, a caravan side-guild I made mostly for the name / the jokes, now found actual IC hooks and purpose with the introduction of Wailing Bones into lore; they now operate as a group who, for a fee, will handle carrying the Wailing Bones of those who can’t manage it themselves, to their final resting place in Vol’dun.

Versatile lil’ dudes and dudettes, these fennecfolks are, there’s so much fun RP to be had.

My jumping off point for Nishkah was Mordecai from Borderlands, an excellent Sharpshooter with a big vulture companion and an even bigger chip on her shoulder.

How she got to that point is different though.

She’s now a merc for hire sending some money home and wasting the rest getting drunk every chance she gets.

1 Like

Awesome game, big fanboy (until 3 came out…).

That is the part I didn’t even mention yet. The quitters and what you can do with them especially since it plays so nice in the survivalist aspect.

And that is the exact part that lures child rp’ers in, that caused so much damage to the race’s reputation recently and why a new player always has to have a closer look when finding a caravan.

Please come trade!

Now that the Movie is out everywhere I was actually expecting that some more Vulpera would come thanks to that, but tbf as character concepts there isn’t anything we could use for rp in warcraft. The whole talk about the desert itself maybe but in the end it’s sci-fi (and damn good at that go watch it people!!!)

1 Like

Same here, haven’t even bothered with 3

To take away from my Nishkah-posting, I do have other Vulpera too where I have an idea where I want to go with them, they’re just not nearly as developed as Nishkah is.

As someone who also recently watched Dune, I have to add to the crowd of voices saying: It’s good (and for the topic of this thread? Great source material)

3 is actually pretty fun for the first while and the characters are better than I expected but around the halfway point you start to notice a major lack of polish. Cutscenes autoskipping, or never beginning to play to begin with. Lines of dialogue that don’t happen, bosses that just * pop* out of/into existence because their intro/outro is bugged, sounds that loop indefinitely until you restart the game, random crashes.

The list goes on.

All in all tho i had my fun with it (tho i got it free) and if you can score it for 15 bucks or less and like borderlands games you’ll probably have an okay time with it.

Also, :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Ava she is the literal worst.

Oh right this is a vulpera thread.

They’re cool i guess, wish they didn’t attract so many weirdos and didn’t have certain class options.

Does any model have whiskers? (Honest question, I don’t remember on the big cats if they do.) Real foxes, including fennecs, do so it makes sense to me the vulpera would as well. It’s a useful thing to have.
I imagine they probably have small ones on their wrists too. That’d seem important when you have to put your hands in small crevices to search for food, or bugs, and so.