Don't you think that Blizzard made Horde cartoonishly evil?

Can’t argue with such Light-tough logic!

1 Like

The worst part is that I actually believe that this is Blizzards logic. There’s really no other way when they talk how the Warcraft-world is a world of grey, but then proceed with a clear-cut black and white conflict.

I already wrote something about this in another thread, so I will just quote myself here:

Well, this was discussed partly in the US-forum and the main problem is basically that the Horde started the war with some good old genocide. There are not many options left to become even more “morally grey.” It’s also the reason why Blizzard is trying to sweep Teldrassil under the rug, because they now start to realize the amounts of problems they have created with the War of Thorns (and I will not be surprised if they retcon the whole event to some degree). But, if you only write with “shock-value” in mind without thinking in the long-term that is what usually happens.

So, yeah. The Horde splintering because of Jainas brother is stupid. But, the writers have written themselves into a corner and so now seemingly small and insignificant events (when compared to Teldrassil) have to serve as the spark for the Anti-Sylvanas-sentiment.

3 Likes

Can we all agree that the writers just done a terrible job at this expansion?

6 Likes

Nah, it’s great from a certain point of view… just not sure which point of view that is… but seriously I’m not gonna judge the story until we get the full picture. So far the story has had some good beats but also some horrendous beats which is pretty akin to Blizzard’s modern (post-WC3) writing.

3 Likes

……what writers? I thought this was a fanfic for Sylvanas?

5 Likes

I am judging it openly because given how terribly slowly the “story” unfolds, before ANY development is implemented, I am already past the stages of grief, anger, depression, acceptance and indifference caused by the previous debacle.

It doesn’t matter what the finale is. If the “story” sucks all the way, no ending can ever fix it. Even if they come up with oh-so-unexpected-only-she-can-save-us-Kerrigan idea, this doesn’t excuse anything that happened neither does it fix inconsistencies.

2 Likes

Teldrassil was a bit of an abomination to begin with. It kind of shouldn’t have been spawned. So I guess druids could excuse its fate to pruning.

As far as the civilians go, ain’t nobody set their hearthstones there since vanilla and even then it was a ghost town.

What the alliance witnessed was an hallucination brought on from smoke inhalation. No one died in the making if this cutscene.

Problem solved.

Now we can go back to twiddling our moustaches again.

Depends because that ending could explain everything similar how a mystery plot unfolds and given how Blizzard is going about the plot currently they have been trying to play this like a big mystery even if the answers have been obvious. Who burned Teldrassil, what’s going on with Vol’jin etc.

The BfA’s writing level in general has been very similar how it has always been in WoW; corny and bellow average. In my opinion WoW has never had well written plot… ever. Just some great beats time to time. I just like corn tho. All of the great story came from the RTS games and novels.

That’s the reason why I actually like Med’an. The guy is horribly written yet I still like the guy and the idea behind him. One could say that’s a paradox but so is life itself.

1 Like

I am going to throw a couple of hearts at you because I like you.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I still don’t believe in this story anymore though.

Do you really think I have had any faith that Blizzard would be able to tell a great story in WoW after Vanilla and especially TBC? Honestly MoP was Blizzard’s best written overall story and even that was just an average when compared to something well written (like say SWTOR’s Light Side Sith Warrior story for an example in the same genre).

To me WoW’s story has been fascinating by how bad and corny it has been; not by how good it has been. And I love for what it is and honestly WoW wouldn’t be WoW without some terrible-bad writting.

Truth be told, given your avatar, you do look like someone heavily faith-dependent :wink:

Personally I’m just sucker for the paladin trope now days. Well WarCraft was the first time my 13-ish year old self, at the time I was sucker for wizards, came face-to-face with more down-to-earth Paladin rather than the usual Heroic archetype Paladin.

That started my fascination with paladins and I don’t mean Lawful Stupid ones but rather those who try uphold their sworn vows or emulate their gods but fail at it yet still keep trying. While a Paladin should be heroic it doesn’t mean he’s flawless.

1 Like

You seem like a rather enjoyable paladin unlike one Virtue No-Fun-Allowed-Party-Pooper Knight that I know…

2 Likes

One of the worst thing you can do with a paladin is to play it Lawful Stupid Hero because faith is the most important aspect for a paladin similar to a priest. If their faith never wavers then what’s the point? In real life untested faith is very brittle and easily broken. It’s through hardships that your faith solidifies and becomes the strong shield people want their faith to be but first they need to struggle through hard questions and perhaps even through loss of faith.

1 Like

The Horde have been written cartoonishly bad because of the change in writers lately - from about Legion onwards. Thankfully we didn’t get much faction conflict in that expansion from them.

Blizzard has basically given up on trying to present an actual morally grey storyline and now we have one faction that are basically an allegory for 1930’s fascism and another for Marvel superheroes with nothing in between.

The Horde run around doing absolutely reprehensible things that would be considered War Crimes by Genghis Khan himself while the Alliance go around doing weird really out of character “gritty” and “immoral” actions yet are the permanent protagonist.

To Blizzard? Yes. To everyone (bar the Sylvanas sycophants) else? No, no actual Horde character would get off lightly. I fully expect to see Horde characters who side with Sylvanas to be personally broken over Baine’s knee a la - Bane breaking the Bat.

A satisfying end for all.

2 Likes

agreed completly, there are contless things they could have done to have made the horde vs alliance story more interesting. But that would require the alliance to look moraly grey, to explore their own faults. But sadly the writing is coming off as so one sided pro alliance it actualy makes the alliance a poorer faction for story telling becouse of it.

Wouldnt it be awesome to have a scene where a alliance character pulls a gun on another in the heat of battle as the alliance is bombing somewhere going " we will win, but not like this" rather than after killing a king refusing to build on the momentum like a moron?

Fixed it for you.

Mongol’s are cool and successful. That’s not an insult lmao.

Yes! The story is poorly written. Its like the writers have no love or passion on their work. It’s just a cut and paste of MoP/Legion content but a poor version of it.

One of the devs promised good content would be there in 8.2 but that’s yet to be seen… For now it’s black and white with a promise of grey.

2 Likes

Nah, the faction worse is less morally ambiguous than WW2. There’s no Alliance equivalent to Allied war crimes such as the Bombing of Dresden, Soviet violence against German civilians, or Hiroshima. Where are my drunken dwarven soldiers ravishing sindorei women?

2 Likes