Dracthyr is the most underdeveloped race in the lore

I mean they are what they are, a race Blizzard made up during idk 9.2 time with the basic idea of playable dragon race with draconic powers. They serve their purpose, hence why they have next to no lore… it’s almost the same case with the Mechagnomes, but they started first in a playable zone as content, hence why they have better lore.

As for your questions, we don’t know, but my guesses:

1. They’re all 20 000 years old, hence they probably never reproduced… it’s open for Blizzard to develope further.
  2. No, they have genders and biological sexes. Just both of them look the same (to us at least), like dragons do.
  3. Nope. Blizzard just saw that FFIV isbgetting really popular (possibly surpassing WoW itself) and wanted to have a race inspired by it.

Not exactly a whole lot for the void elves either. “Noo, don’t study the void, get out of here with that!” “See, told you not to do that, you almost became ethereals, don’t you dare come back here!” “Fine okay, we’ll hang out in the alliance with Alleria then!”. And then there are enough of them to justify a playable race, from the maybe couple dozen initial ones. Wut?

1 Like

Think Dolly the sheep.

Its a race designed by an actual furry (they admitted this themselves on Twitter). Blizzard is just cashing out the franchise to certain communities like they did with the Vulpera so they think it will give them more profit.

Else they would’ve added the actual Drakonids.

1 Like

There is a promised update in the roadmap that is somehow related to dracthyr lore. So I’m sure it will shed some light on the race. But right now, yeah, a lot of questions remain, much more than were pointed out in OP post.

So you think that them not mentionin how the dragons fu… or if theyre genderless is an underdevelopement? Are you serious or high?

Didnt Panda land come out of nowhere - coinciding/(cashing in on) with the success of Kung Fu Panda 2

1. Hatching from eggs
  2. Dracthyrs are created for LGBT community.
  3. No idea, I find this to be a mistake. Because they explain to you that you choose visage to be more recognizable/acceptable to other citizens and then you are a Blood Elf, which is related to point 2.

Considering we do not know/have the “blueprints” Neltharion had when he “created” them, we have no idea currently. He might have made them able to reproduce (since they have 2 genders), or just made them infertile and only he was able to create others.

They have 2 choices for gender, so probably have a gender just like other dragons/mortals. The true questions is if they have reproductive organs / are fertile.

Not AFAIK, but there is one possible reason. True dragons could take any “form” they choose as “visage” form, but dracthyr are “half” dragons, so the mortal element that makes them weaker could “hinder” the ability to transform completely.

The dracthyr see Neltharion as both their general and their father as per Scalecommander Azurathel
Dracthyr keep signets on their horns which function like military dog tags. The dracthyr’s name is inscribed on the signet so that any dead bodies can be identified and remembered - as we learn from the Never Forgotten quest
Being created only to fight and kill, they may have initial trouble with other things such as crafting and the arts and “Talon” is a junior rank in the dracthyr army amd If a dracthyr dishonors their creche, the rules dictate that they must fall honorably in battle- as we learn from the Without Purpose quest
As a race created to be soldiers, they weren’t taught the concept of vacations or weekends and need it explained to them. However recreation isn’t entirely alien to them, since they know about the sport Lish Llrath

They born from eggs, as we learn from Venderthvan during the quest A Helping Claw when he mentions his clutchmates (clutchmate - One born in the same clutch of eggs.)

There are younger ones, many Dracthyr Freshscales and Eager Freshscales later traveled to Algeth’ar Academy to learn more about the powers of the dragonflights and pledge to serve one of them, with each of the five dragonflights sending recruiters - as we seen in the Algeth’ar Academy dungeon

They have genders and feelings and even same gender is okay, as we seen with Cindrethresh says when she said to Viridia, “you could come with us. With… me.” with a tone of someone who loves the other but afraid to tell her

They are new to the whole visage thing, they learned about visage forms from Ebyssian and Wrathion and were able to adopt mortal visages in order to better commune with other races

Wrathion says: A visage is an expression of how you want to be seen by others. Will you be friendly and approachable, or stern and intimidating?
Wrathion says: Certain of my kin chose the latter. As for myself, I settled on dashing and perilously handsome.
Wrathion says: The magic is within you. Look inside and focus on a form that reflects how you want the world to see you.

They simply not had many to work with; maybe had some racial memory from the mortal races “genes”, Neltharion used to creat the Dracthyr - and 20k+ years ago there were not that many, maybe only the Trolls (and flesh cursed earthens) and like how the Elves are “evolved” Trolls, the Dracthyr visage embraced this heritage insictively and thats why they look like humanoid and elven
We don’t know
Maybe later more will be added?

Anyhow, tell me, what do we know about Gnome culture and the Gnomes overall? :thinking:

1 Like

No.

Pandaren lore started in WC3 and Blizzard went above and beyond to create a backstory for when MoP released.

1 Like

Sure, WC3 was totally a “nowhere” or the RPG before MoP (non canon now but still, it was a thing from 2003-2008, Mist came out 2011)

1 Like

It’s actually so much worse than that…

No, really
Everyone complains about the lack of lore regarding the Vulpera or the Dracthyr
But what do we know about of the Gnomes for example?
And not the almost two decades WoW lore (not that that much)
About their history and culture
Lets see
They were mechagnomes (but actually this is someting we learned from WoW)
Technologically advanced - okay, this was firmly established
And… thats all
No history, no background
They are short, “funny” and technolgically advanced, eccentric, often-brilliant…
When they intorduced Gnomes to WoW what lore they had? What background? History? Anything?
We tend to forget, Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls, Goblin heck even the Tauren have borderline 0 history and lore

Scientifically speaking, dragonkind seems to lack any kind of external dimorphism.
They are almost completely monomorphic with the only thing being different is likely the reproductive organs which you will not see or want to see in a videogame

I think dragons like reptiles have their copulatory organs retracted within their body :thinking:
The Dracthyr could be anthropomorphic dragons, but it seems they follow this trend
Tho’ the undies on the visage suggest, they have them and needs to be covered

Aye
Ths is not that kind of a game

Somehow when a Vulpera says it I remember that scene from the shadowlands launch Captain grim video

Some of your questiosn actually have been answered in the Legacy Videos or the starting quests, but yes, that’s what keeps me from playing them. There isn’t enough around to build a prober background story for a character.

It’s especially strange sice DF is their addon.
We had tons of lore to the corresponding new races (or even classes!) in the current addon when Demon Hunters and Pandaren / Monks came out.

I’m more interested in basic stuff:

• How do (if they do) Dracthyr age? How old do they get? Or are they immortal (like dragons?)? When are they considered adults?
  • What do they eat?
  • What virtues do they follow? (apart from “Loayalty to the Aspects”)

And, similar to your questions:

• Are they only made or can they also reproduce without Deathwing’s help? (Are their numbers set by the time they get free of the stasis or could they be a generation of Dracthyr in the future who have never met Neltharion?)
  • Since they aren’t actually reptiles but humanoids, does that mean they can mingle with mortal races? Are they attracted by non-Dracthyr? etc. etc. It all sets a limit to where a Dracthyrs interest can lie… does it want a family? Are they just soldiers? Would they leave other Dracthyr and live among mortals.

Its a new thing. We will get to know more, just like reading a book, after chapter1 you have still more to read. Drachtyr are at chapter 1 and we will soon get chapter2. Thats how story telling works. Is MMO best way to tell this? Not at all. Having a drip feed of lore is horrible way to tell a story.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.