First time Playing on a RP Server, where can I find a good guide for server etiquette ? (And some other Questions)

Never played on an RP server, I found myself creating backstories and reasons/motivations for my characters on my regular PVP server, it bothered me a little, that it seemed I was the only one doing it.

So, I’m planning on joining Zandalar Tribe, and I have a few questions regarding RP and Lore.

1. Is there a guide online for rp server etiquette?

2. Are all Night Elves on WoW under 100 years old? Every NPC calls you “young”, so I assumed NE wow characters are “children”.

3. What is the lifespan of each race on Classic?

4. How long do Highborne live(Pre and Post Sunwell)?

5. I know Night Elves can be as old as 15k years, but how long is their lifespan after they lost immortality? I assume they live longer than Highborne since Night Elf physique is superior.

6. Can you roleplay between Factions? Is it better to roleplay on NormalRP server?

I got this, gimme a moment to reply, but I can help you out with a lot of your questions there.

2 Likes

Firstly, welcome to the weird and wacky world of RP, it isn’t as daunting as it can seem, trust me, I’ll go over your questions, then give a few bits of advice here and there.

Not really, but some good common sense rules of thumb are as follows;
Use/Say for what your character is actually -saying-, so like /s I see you are a Dwarf, in the Exodar,that is, unusual, how did you come to be here,anything I can help with? use /emote for what your character is visibly doing, so like /e rolls their eyes … Use /Yell only if it is something your character would actually be Shouting very loudly so like /y Mother of Elune, Someone just Shot me! In the Leg! I’m bleeding! Help, Help!

Use say for what you, well, say, emote for what you visibly do, and Yell only if you really have to scream something to the heavens!

Remember with emotes, keep it simple, a character might see your character roll their eyes in exasperation, they won’t know -why- they are exasperated though. Might be a bad day, they might be sick of being asked why they are in the Exodar as a Dwarf, they might be late for a business meeting, or they may be late for dinner with an angry wife with a rolling pin in hand…

Everyone starts off new. I remember, many, many moons ago, well, alright, more than 30 years ago, starting off my adventures as a level 1 character in Dungeons and Dragons, long before WoW and the Internet were really a thing. We all start off new, we all make mistakes now and then. Learn from them, and if someone sends you a message like “Hey, I notice you said your character was born on Darnassus? Darnassus was actually really new as a city, like, about 15 years or so, so unless you are playing a teenager, thats kind of unlikely, just saying” Then take it as advice “Ah! Cheers, I’m new to this, thanks for the tip”. Likewise if you find yourself in the presence of some perceived grandissimo of RP (Although anyone who thinks of themselves as such, is generally a jacka$$) then whispering them going “Sorry, I’m new to this, so apologies if I am slow at responding, any advice gratefully received.”

Most people, unless they are some mongrel type of low repute, will be happy to help a new RP’er out. More RP means more game for us all!

Backstories are good. Nothing wrong with writing a few notes down, can be awfully embarrassing to forget the names of your characters children mid conversation! (I have done this)

Throw yourself out there. Nobody gets anything if everyone sits there staring at their shoes like clubbers in the late 90’s. Someone has to make the first move. Might as well be you, chances are everyone else is as nervous.

Keep IC IC, and OOC OOC. You bump into Brigante in a tavern, he is normally the soul of joviality, wit, and friendly to anyone. Bump into him tonight, he is sullen, and careworn, he is worried about his unit(Guild) who are on a Mission in the Barrens, that he could not accompany them on (Because like hell am I going to Dm an event for 14 players -and- try to play their commanding officer at the same time) Sometimes characters will be in good moods, or bad moods, it does not mean the person behind the screen doesn’t like you, or is hostile, just that their character may be having a rough day. Who knows, you may alleviate their worries, or they may tell you to get lost. Doesn’t mean they hate you OOC. Sometimes great enemies as characters can be people who are best mates in real life. Keep it in character, act the way you would, which brings me swiftly onto…

You are a character, your character is not a suicidal idiot. Your Go-To response upon entering a social situation is not likely to be to pull out a shiv and start shanking people. Why would you? I mean apart from the criminally insane, who does that? Apart from anything else, most cities have guards, who take a dim view of people going all psychotic in a city.

Quirks are good, but don’t let them rule you. My Gnome is very jaded and cynical, he had to put a bullet through his wife’s head when she turned Leper. Don’t expect him to tell you that. Less is more. No one has a conversation that goes “How was your day?” “Well, I went to Steelgrill Depot and had to kill 12 Yeti’s to get furs for 1 silver and 12 copper” It would be “So how was your day?” “Oh man, you would not believe it, I was doing some freelance work, like an idiot I took the job based on the pay, good pay, but this guy wanted me to kill Yeti’s. Yeti’s! Have you seen the size of those things,have you ever smelt one? And then, and you will not believe this, he wanted their furs to make the cockpit of his Steam Tank more comfortable. Can you believe that? I’m risking my life out there so he gets a comfortable ride, so yeah, I’ve had better days, You?” You don’t blurt your entire backstory out in one go. I’ve been playing Brigante since TBC came out, but only about 3 living characters know why he used to hate Blood Knights, or why he hates talking about Wretched. Be natural with conversations…

Lastly. You are -NOT- ‘The Hero’. You did not kill Onyxia, or Kael’thas, or Arthas, Deathwing, Lei-shen or Garrosh, you did not defeat the Titan Argus. You can have been a soldier doing their bit, but claiming to have killed lore characters or having their weapons is generally very bad form.

2.Nope. Your character is as old as you choose, within reason. You want to play a veteran of the War of Shifting Sands, you crack on, you want to play a Night Elf who remembers the reign of Aszhara, you crack on, those are possible. You want to play an 18 year old Night Elf, you rock on. Just look at what your race was up to at the time and go “WHat was my character doing back then?” Brigante was a good loyal Alliance boi, at the tail end of the Troll Wars (Yeah, he pretty old) during Vanilla he was mostly doing relief work and helping rebuild Silvermoon, he never went to Outlands during TBC, he was in the Shattered Sun Offensive fighting on Quel’danas. In Wrath he was one of the Dragonhawk riders over Icecrown, or the ‘War of the Frozen Flesh’ as he calls it. During Cata he was doing basic Aerial Cavalry stuff, nothing special, During MoP he was one of the Dragonhawk riders over Thunder Isle, then part of the Rebellion against Garrosh, Just look at what your race was doing and go “How would I fit into that, at the time?” You’ll find stories write themselves if you do. Just ask Brigante why the Sin’dorei fliers over Icecrown were called ‘Blue-ears’ by the other Elves, don’t ask him about ‘ear-socks’ or how after initial mockery, other Elves asked if Brigante’s wife could knit them some as well.

Play what you are comfortable with. Your character does not have to start off as a level 1 scrub with a shirt on their back and a second hand sword and a dustbin lid for a shield, level them up, get a good set of kit that reflects the look you are going for, then go for it.

3.lifespans on Classic, as far as I recall go something like this:
Humans=Normal Human lifespan as per our world.
Night Elves= -Were- immortal, have just recently lost immortality (I’ll come back to this in your next question, as it is more relative there)
Dwarves= about 300
Gnomes=about 300

Orcs= Normal Human lifespan.
Trolls=Normal Human lifespan
Tauren= Normal Human lifespan but they -seem- to retain their physical robustness into old age, Cairne is the example here, he is over 100 years old, but can still pull a tree out of the ground with his bare hands.
Forsaken= No one knows. We still don’t know. In Classic, nobody would have a clue, I mean they are a massively new phenomenon. What we -do- know is that even if the body is trapped and does not age, the mind does, and Forsaken can lose themselves and have to be ‘put out of their misery’ by other Forsaken. I could hazard a guess that given that most of them were human, this happens at the point where their mind starts to have problems with their age, so older than a normal human lifespan, but they haven’t really existed long enough for us to know yet. Even the oldest Forsaken is not yet more than middle aged in human terms.

4 & 5. (As they’re the same answer)

Kaldorei and Highborne were immortal, for a very long time, (A blessing from Nozdormu, patriarch of the Bronze Dragonhflight, until the World Tree was destroyed. They then lost their immortality. Fandral Staghelm planted Teldrassil, in an attempt to regain their immortality. Problem is, All of the Dragonflights gave their blessing upon Teldrassil (Despite it being a corruption of nature, and Fandral really not being a nice chap) except for Nozdormu. As such, the Night Elves did -not- regain their immortality.

All Elves on Azeroth, Night Elves, Highborne, High Elves, Blood Elves, Void Elves now have the -same- Life expectancy. This is an ill defined figure of “Several Thousand Years” Now the problem there, is that you only use the word ‘Several’ in English to mean ‘At least three, but less than ten’, so the life expectancy for all Elves is between 3,000- 9,000. Obviously Kaldorei had a period of immortality, so they have -started- aging again, from where they left off, they haven’t all crumbled to dust, else Malfurion, Tyrande et all would be old bones by now. By the time of BfA, Night Elves have actually started dying of sickness and old age, by the time of Classic, this hasn’t yet started.

So any type of Elf apart from Kaldorei and Nightborne are pretty much definitely under 10,000, Those two can be older, but have started aging normally again.

Another thing about Elven Aging. There is no such thing as ‘Elf Years’, there are just years. A year is the same regardless of what race you are. Elves of all types are both physically, culturally and intellectually adult by at least 20 years old. Pretty similar to humans. Sylvanas was already a Farstrider aged 20, and we have no hint that Quel’thalas used child soldiers. Lorash Sunbeam a Blood Elf, is 7,000 years old, and pretty spry for his years.

1. Thats tricky. I prefer RPPvE servers, so take my words with that dash of bias. You can choose to flag for PvP or not, you -can- roleplay with the other Faction, however not in Classic,only in Retail by using the Elixir of Tongues that allows you to speak and be understood by the other faction, purchasable from Dalaran. In Classic, apart from the stock emotes, afraid you aren’t really able to talk to them unless you have some third party method, like Discord or Skype.

Hope that helps, any further questions, ask away!

3 Likes

I suggest you have a read through this. While it is mostly general stuff, it is still a very solid guide to get started with roleplaying and grasp the general concept behind it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for such an helpful and thorough response, even with your RPPvE Bias, I’d love to hear a bit why you prefer one over the other? I love the danger of being flagged PVP all the time, and that would kind of fix any issues I had with not being able to roleplay the opposing faction in classic.

I have the impression retail game engine is better for roleplay, but I was upset how they handled the death of the lich king, I found cata story intriguing but hated the lore after that.

Hence why I’d rather roleplay classic, everything after cataclysm irks me.

Nothing more interesting than pure logistics, I’m afraid, my unit just can’t handle things quick enough to make PvP fun for me, I’m just a free farm. I do take part in the RPPvP campaigns we have on Argent Dawn, but they usually have rulesets that make it a bit more survivable. Really its nothing more than having a valiant, long suffering potato of a gaming rig. Serving well, for its age, and not financially possible to replace at the moment, but just not quick enough to give me any chance of getting enjoyment out of PvP. PvE I can do, but not quick enough for PvP, plus to be honest, I play this game for the RP now, I mean I quest and level and shiz, but mainly for the RP. I mean the Character I play is the leader of a unit of Blood Elven Dragonhawk riders, and well, WoW doesn’t have a mounted combat system, so we’re reliant on combats with Alliance units over Discord (Which actually works quite nicely) or running our own stuff,

Personally I think Retail is better for RP, as it includes things that made no sense not to be in Classic, such as, well, entire zones that we -knew- existed, like Quel’thalas, and Northrend, places explored before Vanilla WoW even existed. This said, I’m having a little bit of fun on Classic on Hydra W with my Troll Rogue and Dwarf Warrior, and the RP there has been fun. Had a brilliant impromptu ‘buddy cop’ movie with someone playing a female dwarf today, as we both happened to hit the Troll cave in the Dwarf starting zone at the same time “Och lass, dinnae tell me ye’re here to kill the same Troll Scunner I am?” “WHatsisface the cold? Aye, that heel, ah’m here to put him down” “Not if ah get tae him first” “Ten Copper says I do” “Ohoh! Like that is it? Yer on, Ten Copper it is, now we gonnae team up and show these wretches what sons and daughters of Khaz Modan can dae, with the strength of our axes?”

The next thirty minutes (It really wouldn’t have taken that long if we were Go Go GO! ing it) were us swearing and slashing our way through vast amounts of trolls, RPing all the way, till we nailed the big bad guy.

“Wait, Who got him first?” “Well ah hit him first” “Aye, but ah Did the killing blow” “Guess ah owe ye ten copper then” “Aye, guess ah owe ye ten copper an’ all” Two Dwarves solemnly hand each other ten copper, despite there being no point in doing so! “Reet, we gonna break some heids getting out o’ here?” “Aye, lets!”

No idea who the person playing that other dwarf was, but it was rattling good fun.

Back on track, the main thing with the RP situation is that your avatar is clearly the Champion of Azeroth, they are the all singing, all dancing, Big F*cking Deal. Now your character is not. They can be a hero (with a small ‘h’) but they are not -THE HERO-. So all the stuff from Cataclysm onwards doesn’t need to worry you. You’re not in charge, you’re not the Champion, you’re just a microscopic cog in a catastrophic world at war. Sure, maybe, like Brigante, you have earned a bit of standing, and are an officer in your nation’s armies, but you’re not in charge, you don’t have cups of tea with Lor’themar or Anduin and discuss policy, you don’t even have meetings with their underlings, you don’t even get meetings with their underlings underlings, They make Policy, you go and do it. They’re not going “Ah, Champion, thank goodness you have arrived, there is a threat, and only you can deal with it” They’re more like “Ah, good, right, go and sort this out, off you go”

Once you get out of the idea that your -character- is doing the same things that your avatar is, then it is easier. My avatar is messing around in Naz’jatar and Mechagon. My -Character- has no idea either place exists yet. My avatar helped Saurfang, my -character- thinks Saurfang died at Undercity.

You take those bits of the lore that make -sense- for your character to know, and roll with that.

4 Likes

I have another question, how do you roleplay when you run out of hp and die? Do you roleplay it as a grave injury?

Depends on the situation. If it happens accidentally (unintentionally killed by a mob or falling off a cliff etc.) and if it hinders more than it helps my RP intention, I might just pretend it didn’t happen (and let whomever I’m RPing with know; “Ignore my death, I didn’t mean to die here”).

However, if I’m RP questing or IC fighting strong mobs, I’ll probably RP it as my character getting knocked down or incapacitated by an injury, and hope my fellow RPer(s) can heal me.

If it is a very grave injury, for example caused by a very big and strong adversary, or a serious accident, a period of recovery might be appropriate.

I believe some RPers add permanent scars and disabilities to their characters after significant injuries, but I’m not quite there. I have strong faith in the various types of healing that some of Azeroth’s heroes can provide :wink:

People do it differently, as Grawle says above. The one constant thing is that no one, no bad dice roll, no other player, or running out of hit points, nothing, decides when your character dies. Only you. Its not the same as D&D in that regard. Now that isn’t say ‘go nuts with wild abandon and never get injured’ Most people use common sense.

I mean in the Sun Hawks, when I run events we are up against some grim things, especially air combat events, as most aerial cavalry in the game; Dragonhawk Riders, Protodrake Riders, Wildhammer, Druids of the Talon etc etc are capable of dealing out some -nasty- damage to each other.

In honesty, we use an ‘honesty’ system. We do use rolls, for whether you have struck a telling blow on an opponent, or whether in return they have struck you. We call it ‘Cinematic Damage’. As in “You take as much damage as still keeps your story and everyone elses interesting.” You’re basically like Bruce Willis in ‘Die Hard’, you’ll take a pasting, and end up a mess, but you survive till the end (Unless you as the player decide your character’s time is up).

Want your character to take permanent injuries, go for it, Brigante has a permanent Limp in his left leg and uses a walking cane on the ground, not because the Healer who tended his leg was rubbish, but because literally two minutes after the Healer had mended his broken leg, the Alliance brought the building crashing down on him. He survived, but his left leg is still permanently skewed years later. (That actually did happen in a massive RppvP campaign in Redridge, oh the bad luck!)

The reason we do it that way is because there is nothing worse than having a new character, brilliant concept, fantastic group, and because of bad luck with rolls and hitpoints you die.

That’s rubbish. That isn’t telling a story apart from the futility of survival in a world filled with demons and grim stuff that seems to crop up every year. That’s like getting characters to generate complex characters, with full backgrounds, set as children born in the early 1900’s, and after they’ve got their whole backstory drafted going “Right, SO, you have your characters, you’re all playing young Englishmen in the early 1900’s. Fantastic, first things first, you all get drafted, given rudimentary training and sent to Flanders”

“Err, what? Can’t I explore my characters romantic interest in Bella who works at the pub?” “Yeah, I wanted my character to try and break stereotype and turn himself out posher” “My character has a one year old kid”

“Tough, You’re all drafted into the Army, You can choose not to, if you really want”

“Umm, Yeah. I’ll do that, he’s got a kid”

“RIght, well, you get beaten black and blue”
“Then he can go home?”
“No, then they shoot you for Lack of Moral Fibre. New character for you.”

“That’s horrible!”
“Its realistic…”

“The Rest of you, you get ordered to walk slowly across No Mans Land, you’re not allowed to run, or try to take cover”
“That’s mental!”
“Yes, yes it is, roll above 90 out of 100 to avoid being killed by Machine gun fire.”
"Oh dear, not your day, was it…still, you survived, last of your unit. Make a roll as you hear the shout go up of ‘Gas Gas Gas’ “Oh dear, you rolled a 2, clearly your Gasmask was one of the defective ones. You die too, in even more hideous pain than the others.”

That’s why ‘Realism’ doesn’t always have a place in RP. Our Characters aren’t the all singing all-dancing Heroes who knock around with Turalyon and Nathanos, but also they are not mooks to be one shotted by a bad dice roll.

I tend to find people are more happy to assign long term injuries, or even character deaths to themselves, if it is their choice in how and when to do so.

Its whatever makes better story, to be honest…

3 Likes

Thank you again for such a fulfilling answer, I had a boost and created a level 100 character on Argent Dawn, but today I noticed the realm was full, did I make a mistake by choosing argent dawn? (will I be unable to play sometimes due to queues?) What other RP server is recommended?

I’m currently roleplaying on Zandalar Tribe though, because I enjoy the state of the lore in classic more, on a side note I hope they do progression with classic to other expansions.

The moment when Brigante goes “hold my beer” and starts typing.
Never had to do more scrolling down on a 10 post thread. :smiley:
Good read, though.

2 Likes

Like so many times before, I answer without really knowing what I’m talking about :grinning:

I don’t think Argent Dawn’s ‘full’ status means it’s as bad as for example some Classic servers where people have had 10 hour queue to log in.

I hope someone who actually plays on Argent Dawn can verify or debunk.

By the way, I thought you meant game-mechanic-dying, earlier - not ‘RP HP going to zero’-dying.

In the latter case, in the few combative RP events I’ve attended, it was clearly stated that losing all RP character HP would mean unconsciousness until someone healed/revived you, or until the event manager says you wake up with so many HP because so and so.

Or, if no one heals you, and the event manager does not say you wake up such and such, I would personally go for something like

Gordon wakes up 10 hours later, feeling like he fell from Dalaran. Everything hurts, but luckily nothing seems broken, although he will probably need a week or two to be ‘fit for fight’.

1 Like

I’ve played on Argent Dawn for 2-3 years now, and I’ve never had a queue time. It might say full, but I don’t think you’ll ever have to wait ^^. Unlike Classic…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.